Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

24 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Ian, Well done on getting into the mag. I am enjoying the influx of Cromptons 33008 is really looking good and the blue machines should look really good when they get weathered up. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I shall be weathering all 5 at the same time, that way hopefully I won’t have to keep cleaning the airbrush and waste less paint and thinners

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

it is slightly shiny where the logos were, the upper grey band has been touched in, and I may need to touch in the lower grey once I can mask the upper grey again

Ah ok. I removed a Heljan logo the other day and it is very obvious although i did rub at it quite hard. I was planning to respray anyway but curious how some people seem to get away without doing so.

7 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Ah ok. I removed a Heljan logo the other day and it is very obvious although i did rub at it quite hard. I was planning to respray anyway but curious how some people seem to get away without doing so.

I used Meths, and it works through the paint really quick, especially the blue, so have to be really careful. The advantage now is the colours are close to railmatch, and I’m keeping the livery, just replacing the emblems

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

More backdating.

headlights removed, radio pods removed. A little bit of filling and sanding, and the fronts will look better

Sector logos removed for some of a better shade of blue and yellow. I’ve decided to keep them both in sector livery and not paint one in general grey

4310B47A-DE66-4B57-9891-739CC058B224.jpeg.d12acf35d1262ad284f8d2aa8a44b5a5.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Joner said:

I was looking forward to seeing one in drab :dontknow:

Paul 

haha, I sat down and looked at it, and decided, the layout is about the construction sector trains for the channel tunnel, so a general grey crompton will be covered by a general grey 73, I’ll respray my Dutch ED when it comes, however, that doesn’t mean I might not get one if a supplier has a flash sale on class 33’s, or I could swap one for my 20’s which I still don’t seem to be able to get the transfers for

Edited by 47606odin
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, 47606odin said:

haha, I sat down and looked at it, and decided, the layout is about the construction sector trains for the channel tunnel, so a general grey crompton will be covered by a general grey 73, I’ll respray my Dutch ED when it comes, however, that doesn’t mean I might not get one if a supplier has a flash sale on class 33’s, or I could swap one for my 20’s which I still don’t seem to be able to get the transfers for

I still keep thinking about the General Grey for my NSE one, but having never done a re spray I'm a little nervous to say the least. Or I might advertise it cheap without the Sound and get a Construction one to put the sound into.

My 20's seem to be getting less running now that I seem to be more Southern based. I was offered a 60 the other day, but I would really need to sell my 20's or a Kidney and a bit of my Liver to fund it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I have EWS 030 if your interested? PM me.

Paul 

8 hours ago, Joner said:

I have EWS 030 if your interested? PM me.

Paul 

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I would need to strip the shell to do a full repaint, another treason why I haven’t used one of mine, as you would see the paint layers of the current scheme under the grey if it wasn’t all removed, as well as headlights etc. I would use a blue one for ease I think to save time and agro, even if I would need to paint the orange stripes again

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I would use a blue one for ease I think to save time and agro

Just out of interest, would you prime in that case? I'm respraying a black loco green (enamel) but not sure if I should prime first. I'd get a better colour from green on black, but only if it sticks.

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Just out of interest, would you prime in that case? I'm respraying a black loco green (enamel) but not sure if I should prime first. I'd get a better colour from green on black, but only if it sticks.

I generally don’t, a thorough cleaning and maybe key with a bit of scotchbrite, but that’s about it. Unless it’s metal, then definitely prime those parts

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So, today, I had a lightbulb moment :yahoo:

if I do indeed move the layout to the front room, I can have a fold out or seperate traverser board, that will allow me to extend the shed to full size, luckily I’ve not started building it yet, and have room for 11 class 33’s in the shed!!!!

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 4

33053/064 yellow panels repainted, the black will be brought down to the handrails in a couple of days to where they should be

phots 3 and 4 shows the real 053 and it’s battered valance and my attempts at replicating it. Hopefully with a bit of weathering it’ll look good

CCB1960F-8A0F-4065-82B0-0BABBE6D3BC1.jpeg.6abd1a0c39a742c69e34a33b18cdfb83.jpeg

B539A1EA-07A3-41B7-AFCA-4F7D9A343D38.jpeg.4acdd6e1071b981723e69ec2906da74a.jpeg

FE565FBE-7640-4035-986E-341DAC0E7777.jpeg.fb9df7f09752c2e4be11426f91d7e57f.jpeg

4B6E5D2B-C497-4A10-A99A-B3B6CD78020F.jpeg.5fd7bc756e47b0972f9b766ce84a2b26.jpeg

• Like 19

33053 looks ace Ian, I guess it bust have had a rough shunt at some point and had the buffers pushed up. Those bumps and grazes are so rarely modelled. I am sure I still have a Lima 37153 with a dent in its bonnet kicking around somewhere!

5 hours ago, D6775 said:

33053 looks ace Ian, I guess it bust have had a rough shunt at some point and had the buffers pushed up. Those bumps and grazes are so rarely modelled. I am sure I still have a Lima 37153 with a dent in its bonnet kicking around somewhere!

looking at Flickr it was more than once, as it seems one side was done before the other joined it

2 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Worth the effort though, looks much better.

Cheers, Ade.

ironically, it’s right for 050, but I’ve done that already, unfortunately not the rest of them.

anyway, remainder of the cant rail stripes removed, ready for new 1mm higher ones, possibly on Sunday afternoon

D075673B-C4B3-435C-A6CE-63D52DB7178D.jpeg.cb0a3978a4b5a0067d2a8596c422a2bb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'd never noticed it before Ian, but yes indeed, what a difference it makes.:good:

nearly as much as the grey above the radiator. And when it’s weathered, it probably won’t even be noticeable, but I’d know lol. It keeps me occupied, but once I get these 5 cromptons transferred up, I can get on to sorting out the glazing and route indicator mods. 
then comes the expense of sound fitting them

• Like 2