Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

Well guys, I’m still here, don’t panic. I have been building a 7.25 inch gauge wagon (now run out of parts) and doing decorating around the house.

I have just purchased a class 47 from the latest batch of 47’s. I ended up cancelling the triple grey version and gone for banger blue, as I couldn’t find any construction sector locos on depot at the time. 328 was a visitor to Tonbridge, Northfleet etc, but had a flush front so have gone for a blue one. Just need to decide on a number

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 06:44, 47606odin said:

The final 2 TTA’s have arrived and the transfers are here too. Once I have finished tinkering with the 7.25 inch gauge wagon I have been building over the last few weeks, I shall be getting back on with HG again

5B5A0B6A-815B-480C-8318-742884A9D51E.jpeg.e4361e57b8d5eec0ee7a5b5d9e0fbc15.jpeg

5D9A05E1-0924-40B0-8478-D1FC692E28C3.jpeg.461043ff6ad1659beb4bc0457f0896a9.jpeg

oh, and 0Z47 is enroute too…

Great news, missed following HG but it appears this mojo thingy is like covid its spread's as its took me a long while to get going again even operating let alone kit building.
RM web seems to give me the impetus to get going again. Thankfully. 

It appears Tower have dispatched my L/Logo 47. It will become 47631 which in the late 80’s was witnessed more than once at Moreton in Marsh on the Cotswold line.

3 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Great news, missed following HG but it appears this mojo thingy is like covid its spread's as its took me a long while to get going again even operating let alone kit building.
RM web seems to give me the impetus to get going again. Thankfully. 

It appears Tower have dispatched my L/Logo 47. It will become 47631 which in the late 80’s was witnessed more than once at Moreton in Marsh on the Cotswold line.

i ended up with a blue one, the construction sector one I wanted had flush fronts so I can’t be bothered with that at this time

Bloody hell, why have Heljan gone back to just sponge. Another return. Not getting another posted, not that Hattons have another anyway. Looks like it’s confirmed I’ll have to get an MM1 Spoon instead. At least it’s meant to be in pieces.

The 56’s had better be better packed or I’ll have to reconsider my 73’s which will have lots of delicate parts ready to get smashed in transit

B4B43026-7E15-46AD-9C8D-2CDBEAAA794B.jpeg.e8658817d6efa4f797de5295e478dc3e.jpeg

5BADA542-FFE9-4E8A-AB99-99B024C00841.jpeg.a492374ecb2b3c612a94547fd840069e.jpeg

it doesn’t matter now, but these photos show the errors in how stuff lines up so badly between the cab roof pod, radiator fan panels and bodyside and serck vents. 
F10F8F1F-408F-4939-9911-5BDD0D52B00F.jpeg.aa8872f65a2e1406483b3985a77579b4.jpeg

3D6DEBD4-7134-4DEB-8A1E-172B2FA0744E.jpeg.c3f5f85e5ad07138dbc80fd63b5502f4.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 2

Looks like your bogie springs have gone as well. Same on mine although I am not sending mine back as I can fix it although I dont see whay I should.

I guess yours will end up on the second hand listing in due course!!!!

Agree on the 56 point. But as I have said before if the retailers inspected them before shipping a lot of this wouldn't hapen.

21 minutes ago, pwr said:

Agree on the 56 point. But as I have said before if the retailers inspected them before shipping a lot of this wouldn't hapen.

I think a lot was done in the postal system, however, I’m amazed they’ve done away with the plank, and every one that’s broken is the same

45 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I think a lot was done in the postal system, however, I’m amazed they’ve done away with the plank, and every one that’s broken is the same

Possibly doown to cost - I notice the box on mine is short suggesting they have just run another set of original boxes - a plank would have required a redesign but then if you are going to pay £600 for a loco you would have expected better. They retooled the boxes for the second run of the 40's so there is no excuse.

What annoys me is that if you send it back the retailer will have sold out and all they can offer is a refund which I don't think is good enough.

Paul R

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Very hard to hold a mobile phone to the right angle but these may help you decide.

yes, it’s the way to go, but I still can’t get flush cabs. Once I get my pennies back from Hattons I’ll be placing an order, although that horn pod still looks a bit square,….

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

A comparison tweak the angle a bit to make it slightly less square, and it would be pretty much spot on

9EC650B5-0D46-4F03-8542-4B5EA8D011B6.jpeg.6e590cd6b617c8090b8bd44cceac019e.jpeg

C0436B5E-5494-4143-A9B7-847219AE8C15.jpeg.b22b2361e9d5b49942ee121601b29852.jpeg

Yes its pretty good. I am going to very very gently sand the top of the windows - which actually bow down slightly rather than being straight. May be distortion as the moulding cooled - one of my sides is like a banana and I'll need to sort that as well..

38 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Yes its pretty good. I am going to very very gently sand the top of the windows - which actually bow down slightly rather than being straight. May be distortion as the moulding cooled - one of my sides is like a banana and I'll need to sort that as well..

my 37 moldings are pretty good straightness wise. I take it the glazing is straight along the top?

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

my 37 moldings are pretty good straightness wise. I take it the glazing is straight along the top?

Now you mention it I'm not sure if there was any glazing. I have the headcode pack as it was on top (you get 2x plain or 2x the No. 2 end smaller marker lights but not the opaque No 1 end type) but I'll have to get it all out again to see if the rest of the glazing is underneath or you do your own. There s a recess on the inside for it though so it wouldn't be that hard to do.

There are a lot of optical illusions with these cabs around the windows with their curved eyebrows against straight glass which I think is why they are so hard to capture. The slightest little difference does affect the overall look far more than some other classes it seems.

33 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Now you mention it I'm not sure if there was any glazing. I have the headcode pack as it was on top (you get 2x plain or 2x the No. 2 end smaller marker lights but not the opaque No 1 end type) but I'll have to get it all out again to see if the rest of the glazing is underneath or you do your own. There s a recess on the inside for it though so it wouldn't be that hard to do.

There are a lot of optical illusions with these cabs around the windows with their curved eyebrows against straight glass which I think is why they are so hard to capture. The slightest little difference does affect the overall look far more than some other classes it seems.

all the glazing for the 37 is laser cut.

id need both marker light types. Sealed beam and Perspex 

I to was surprised at the lack of plank expecting the same with the class 60 but Roger at Tower assures me they have a plinth! Mines on route.

He mentioned buffers snapping off and before he posts 47’s now he is cutting a tad off the black foam to help prevent the buffers making contact with it in transit and snap off.

Tower check locos before posting which is a start.

• 2 weeks later...

A little job done

i had been putting off fitting the Dapol instanter couplings as I couldn’t get the silly pin in as there was no room for getting fingers in. However, 1 modified pair of tweezers to make a spring compression tool made it easier. Only had to chase pins about 6 times and springs twice!

having done that, I decided to BP the axle boxes bearing covers by painting out the red and turning them green. They are now ready for transfers

167FAF3B-FA40-4294-B5F4-E9730432597F.jpeg.6d4fe8c6afe60350d304df69fb2e2224.jpeg

• Like 4