Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

2450hp each. Basically they are a Dash8 in an Australian body on 3ft 6in gauge hauling 7000 tonnes up and down 1:45 grades. Being GE 4 stroke sound lovely. Videos of them on my channel 

I'm not really familiar with North American practice but after a holiday to Canada 4 or 5 years ago, where I had cause to try and identify what I'd photo'd, I was struck by how there seemed to be a whole succession of locos all using the same cab/structure etc, so at first glance they look the same. I'm not sure if they are thrashed and have short life cycles or if they are cascaded down to other users but the implication seemed to be that the Union Pacifics etc were upgrading fairly regularly.

Naturally being a Brit this struck me as odd whereas completely reinventing the wheel, as we have traditionally done, makes total sense! 

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm not really familiar with North American practice but after a holiday to Canada 4 or 5 years ago, where I had cause to try and identify what I'd photo'd, I was struck by how there seemed to be a whole succession of locos all using the same cab/structure etc, so at first glance they look the same. I'm not sure if they are thrashed and have short life cycles or if they are cascaded down to other users but the implication seemed to be that the Union Pacifics etc were upgrading fairly regularly.

Naturally being a Brit this struck me as odd whereas completely reinventing the wheel, as we have traditionally done, makes total sense! 

I think locos are more disposable in the US and other parts of the world, and they are built over many years from a catalogue assembled using common parts with upgrades depending on customer requirements, hence the class 66’s, where they could be built with options available like resilient mountings for the cab at extra price so we got hard bolted to frame instead, microwave locations in the loco, but we got a hot plate in the cab.....like when you buy a car, but EWS and those who followed bought cheap and bought the L version when there were lots of other GL and GLX versions available. Hence drivers who are deaf, with tinnitus and vibration white knuckle, and heatstroke in summer.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I think locos are more disposable in the US and other parts of the world, and they are built over many years from a catalogue assembled using common parts with upgrades depending on customer requirements, hence the class 66’s, where they could be built with options available like resilient mountings for the cab at extra price so we got hard bolted to frame instead, microwave locations in the loco, but we got a hot plate in the cab.....like when you buy a car, but EWS and those who followed bought cheap and bought the L version when there were lots of other GL and GLX versions available. Hence drivers who are deaf, with tinnitus and vibration white knuckle, and heatstroke in summer.....

I always likened EWS purchase of 66's as going to the car show room and asking for all the optional extras to be taken off. Like going to a Ferrari garage with Ford money. I seem to recall some of the early ones were allegedly spot welded along the roof seem rather than seem welded, hence they leaked.

Firstly Ian that was a nice video of the 2 x 60's and it raises a question for me.   

You mentioned something about the lighting at the video end which caused me to notice one was lit while the other not.  Was that intentional in that only one had its lights switched on with the other was switched off?

There is an excellent "pan shot" at about 1:30 in which allows you to see inside and through the side grills, wonderful.

You've got a massive fleet of locos now, how will you run them, all together or only similar types, what will the working operandi be for your version of Hither Green?

Oh and that's one hell of a lot of water up on that roof in a diesel depo.  :P

Cheers

Edited by Barnaby

7 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Firstly Ian that was a nice video of the 2 x 60's and it raises a question for me.   

You mentioned something about the lighting at the video end which caused me to notice one was lit while the other not.  Was that intentional in that only one had its lights switched on with the other was switched off?

There is an excellent "pan shot" at about 1:30 in which allows you to see inside and through the side grills, wonderful.

You've got a massive fleet of locos now, how will you run them, all together or only similar types, what will the working operandi be for your version of Hither Green?

Oh and that's one hell of a lot of water up on that roof in a diesel depo.  :P

Cheers

oooh lots of questions

the lighting circuits need modifying to work on dcc, 001 is done, I now have to do 018. That was talked about in video 111. I shall make the next video about what needs to be done, and that is why only 001 has lights on

I currently have 5 33’s, 3 08’s, 2 60’s, 1 45, 1 50, and 2 20’s. The 33’s will be on and off depot to run segment trains to the tunnel interface, the 08’s are for shunting the PAD, the 60’s are for trains in and out of Cliffe, Grain, and Angersteins, the 20’s are for weed killing and the 50 and 45 are rule 1 as the 50’s never from what I can tell ever ran to HG and the 45 is too early for my modelling timeframe. I have a 56 on order, that will be for Allington traffic, and the 47 will be for Northfleet cement traffic. I have 4 73’s on order for working ballast trips to Tonbridge and Hoo Junction

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Note. Remember the planned order of jobs before getting carried away with the glue

Many variations on that. I had some Bauxite left yesterday after doing a couple of wagons so decided to paint my BR fruit van  Made a cracking job of it and had been admiring it for over an hour before it occured to me it was meant to be crimson.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Cams been painting my next 26, it was only when I was looking at pictures to work out what I needed to do paint wise wit the glazing and realised he's got the yellow wrong on the nose, looks like we're going to have to strip it back! I once also had a Mainline 56 painted in Trainload Construction, as the chap who painted it was handing it over to me he was saying how good he thought it looked, I took one look at it and he's spun the logo's round 90deg and the big blue square was to the right! So easily done with a slight lapse in concentration!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Repainted the gold band, looks much closer to the correct shade and a much closer shade to the numbers.

grab rails painted white to match the real loco, cab steps to paint yellow, but can’t for the life of me find out if it was one or both sides as it did have a repair on this cab corner, but not sure if it included the steps. If anyone can find any pics to confirm, I’d appreciate it. (Around the 2011 before and after it appeared at Hoo Junction)

9D871018-B8F7-4D55-8B5A-B16396D1CABF.jpeg.f03a6724d4782c998952861127d1a24a.jpeg

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 5