Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

On 26/11/2021 at 07:46, 47606odin said:

i had been putting off fitting the Dapol instanter couplings as I couldn’t get the silly pin in as there was no room for getting fingers in. However, 1 modified pair of tweezers to make a spring compression tool made it easier. Only had to chase pins about 6 times and springs twice!

They're a aren't they? I either get them in first time or it take ten attempts! They do seem fairly secure though. I have given up on the 'loop' that comes on the screw couplings now. I replace it with a small washer and solder a length of wire to the washer to hold it in place. Kept finding the loop getting pulled through the spring and loosing it. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I have to draw a line to move on. Having been disappointed by the Heljan 47, and by the disagreement with Hattons, and now cancelled all my pre orders with them, the slate is clean on that respect, no more new O gauge for a while.

im getting snowed under with projects part way through, Ramillies, Athene, 5 class 33’s, 20’s, etc, all in various stages of started, and this is what I had tried to avoid coming to O gauge.

Solution. Sell everything 

no, not really. All started projects, that don’t have chips will be returned to the shelf, and they can sit there and wait. They all have distracted me and caused the layout build to stall, and I have also been distracted by a whole new scale, to be revealed shortly..

so hopefully, once I have finished repairs to my live steam loco and completed the wagon to go with it, I shall get on with the layout build again. Just got to complete some jobs first so I can crack on. I shall then return once I have the shed built to the locos and stock building. Until then they are all consigned to the loco shelf. 

Edited by 47606odin
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I'm getting snowed under with projects part way through

The 47s are selling out in places so seem popular but the cab just doesn't look right to me so I passed as well.

Don't beat yourself up about unfinished jobs. Chip away as and when you fancy it for a bit - it's all meant to be fun!

My interests come and go - especially with conversions: often I like the idea but once I get to point I can see the concept will work, I can't be bothered to finish. I've given up fighting it!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

Like you I have several projects unfinished inlcuding Parkside Wagons part painted or painted and waiting buffers etc to be fitted. That's before you get to the part finished BAA, Freightliner set and Gresley comartment third and EasyBuild SK.  I am making progress which is the main thing. Having finished the BG I can pick something else up again. Thats the beauty of it - it doesn't matter how long you take  - it will still be there tomorrow. Also I tend to put things down when I encounter a problem area which gives me time to think out a solution.

Keep at it - what you have done so far is inspirational

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I'm getting snowed under with projects part way through, Ramillies, Athene, 5 class 33’s, 20’s, etc, all in various stages of started, and this is what I had tried to avoid coming to O gauge.

Same here Ian, not easy but try not to let it get you down, at least you should have decent weather over there! I sat down and counted my part done rollingstock projects the other day and had a bit of  shock. I thick I got to about 30 that need completing! So I best get cracking. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Part builds, my problem is i buy kits then leave them, the VGA sat on the floor for months till I stubbed my toe on the box where it lay so thought I better build it. Same with one of the TTAs, the second I built in a couple of days.

I know your tutorials and running vids took you a while to do but got to say I miss them.

Build your project's as and when looking forward to the return to the shed!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Part builds, my problem is i buy kits then leave them, the VGA sat on the floor for months till I stubbed my toe on the box where it lay so thought I better build it. Same with one of the TTAs, the second I built in a couple of days.

I know your tutorials and running vids took you a while to do but got to say I miss them.

Build your project's as and when looking forward to the return to the shed!

i will still be producing videos, but I’m not going to do things like repeat weathering on everything. I have been asked to show weathering the 45, and it got to the point where the making of the video took over from doing the modelling.

I’ll show new things in videos, building things etc,  but repeating stuff I will be cutting back on so I can get stuff done

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, end of year review.

obviously things have stalled on the build. There are a few reasons why. I’ve got to a point where there are some hard parts out of my comfort zone to do very soon, and that makes moving forward scary, so lots of head scratching, but I have come up with solutions in my head, too many started projects therefore the focus has gone, but that has been put to one side to concentrate on the depot build. The part I need to detail now, ie the internal shed wall, I am finding it very hard research wise as I need to model the electrical boxes and conduit etc, yes I know I don’t have to be 100% accurate on this, but seeing how and where the general boxes are laid out and where the main runs are is proving nigh on impossible, but being me, I could just make some random boxes and runs, but on this build I want detailed stuff rather than a box on the wall. I know there was a group of large boxes, and small, but finding the general layout is proving frustrating. Hence stalling on that part. I was going to make the building removable just incase an Led blows, but I have decided that’s not important in the water tower, so the building will be secured down. I have access to the offices which is more important.

another big issue was the issue of Heljan locos, ie the 47 arriving smashed and, major to me, detail errors on the roof, which should not happen this day and age especially with the requested feedback and numerous photos available to confirm location, alignment and size of details, as well as real locos to do an old fashioned thing like get a tape measure and a camera and measure the real thing. All things highlighted from the cad stage, which also translates to the 56’s as something simple like the 2 small grilles on the roof above the radiator grille being completely in the wrong place, standing out a mile that it’s in the wrong place and 2 minutes on Flickr shows it’s correct alignment, and coupled with the question of how they get protected in transit, and then issues with Hattons after returning the 47 has meant I cancelled all my pre orders to wait and see what happens with the 56’s. Everyone else can be the Guinea pigs. There is a silver lining. More important to me than the 47 and 56 is the 73’s, which do look very good, and nothing has caught my eye to highlight any glaring issues. My only concern is how fragile the loco will be in transit as I will be wanting a few of them. So hopefully, they will lift my spirits a bit.

another distraction is my 7.25 inch gauge, still got a few more jobs on my steam loco and water wagon before the heat of summer fades to allow me to run that again, but once that’s done, we can just play with that as and when and enjoy miniature trains again to lift the spirits

so that’s where we are at, apart from some hopefully minor medical issues to sort, we are on track to move forward this new year.

so my slimmed down goal this year on Hither Green, as I think the list 12 months ago was too big and broad, is finish the accomodation block and water tank, finish the depot floor and pits, and build the rail built buffer stops on the shed roads. Any work beyond that on construction of the shed roof will be a bonus. It would be nice to get the roof done but, I have set a realistic target I think

so to all of you guys who follow me, thank you for your support and encouragement, it’s not wasted, it’s appreciated.

Happy new year everyone 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Happy new year out there! I enjoy this thread regardless of what you are doing at the time. I think everyone's motivation/mojo comes and goes! I have periods of wanting to slim down my collection and other times thinking I should just have what I want but I've also skipped the 47, leaving room for a 73 if it proves to be a good 'un!

• Like 1

In preparation for converting into 08854 (SU) I have painted over the yellow used by Dapol which is far to bright for spec 88 warning yellow. I need to beef up the black stripes as the printed ones are too thin. That’ll be a job for later once the yellow has hardened off

4804B839-7372-427A-BA5E-F8A60F81B15D.jpeg.4dd01742dda4b0a3b93d1d7e81a6f5d3.jpeg

BA857F86-8284-4BB0-BEC1-71D4EDC6EEBE.jpeg.c9d73b141e758d5c5973534d9e110f70.jpeg

B3993996-4722-43E5-A89E-1C3CE61F3718.jpeg.f91d325aaa03036f3c954aab778b0886.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

BA857F86-8284-4BB0-BEC1-71D4EDC6EEBE.jpeg.c9d73b141e758d5c5973534d9e110f70.jpeg

At least the stripes are in the right place on that version. I have the original one and realised after I'd bought it that they don't really line up properly on the front. Not sure I fancy having a go at correcting that though!

23 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

At least the stripes are in the right place on that version. I have the original one and realised after I'd bought it that they don't really line up properly on the front. Not sure I fancy having a go at correcting that though!

they aren’t exactly right, but close enough for me not to worry about. Masking up the rear ones on the back are hard enough 

• Agree 1

But first, the 08

black stripes are to thin, so need to thicken them up. One side done, and I’m really happy with the speckled yellow effect in the black and the multi tone yellow effect from the yellow. I made a mess of the window using lacquer thinners in my mask solution, it thinned it, but has marked the glazing. Will polish it out later and or weathering to hide it.

as I have only done one half in the fatter size black lines, you can see the difference.

im giving it overnight to harden off, then I’ll do the other side tomorrow 

ignore the red as I used a marker to highlight the edge of the tape to like it up easier, but I just ended up with red ink everywhere 

68EBE62E-4FEC-456D-BDF4-902FD8CE824A.jpeg.20bf7d0811af8ec236da7dc9e569509d.jpeg

6F4FF26C-4902-4395-BF48-3C600DE0C8AD.jpeg.38c75a6a460849b53c77ea6321372d50.jpeg

once it’s finished and varnished it’ll look spot on I think

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

once it’s finished and varnished it’ll look spot on I think

Er, agreed - but I'll be honest, you aren't making this look easy! Does highlight the difference in width now tho.

I think I'm going to try and erase this from my memory and then avoid looking at mine for a long time!

Edit: I am tempted to try transfers - normally id think its quite hard to get them lined up but in this case can use the Dapol edge as a guide so would be easier. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Er, agreed - but I'll be honest, you aren't making this look easy! Does highlight the difference in width now tho.

I think I'm going to try and erase this from my memory and then avoid looking at mine for a long time!

Edit: I am tempted to try transfers - normally id think its quite hard to get them lined up but in this case can use the Dapol edge as a guide so would be easier. 

I have used the Tamiya 8mm masking tape lined up on the bottom of the black line below and that leaves a fine line to paint black above, and it’s about right for my liking

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I have used the Tamiya 8mm masking tape lined up on the bottom of the black line below and that leaves a fine line to paint black above, and it’s about right for my liking

Not sure if I could be bothered to do it, but it definitely looks better 

• Like 1