Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

Well, back to the baseboards and to finish of a job I have been putting off.

Ballasting the board joints.

the way I have done it, and I hope it works, is to split the board, used a styrene and aluminium strip from my parts box, wedged them in the joints, levelled them with the sleepers and clamped them back up.

Ballast is applied level with the strips and then glued in the normal way.

hopefully when dry I can run a blade along the edges and remove them to give a good close level joint

35D04F04-CED3-467B-885D-DC3C991F2BE8.jpeg.f5dd2b65634403a9369421cb59325b5d.jpeg

5D55A807-BBD4-4991-A4F4-888CB31E8746.jpeg.97754e51f87b2c8d7404639cc8fb031a.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's something I have been mulling over in my mind and your false join to allow for good separation and not get all glued up with ballast I like.

I've seen people use plasticine around plugged buildings and joins that worked quite well.  The process was to roll out a plasticine worm and press it into place then sprinkle some ground cover of the surrounding area, job done.  Of course it would be best if you have kept some of the material used from each join area to sprinkle so as to make it blend in.

Regards

Yes they are solid photos I particularly like the first one showing the track and fencing. Your ballasting has been done most realistically too, I'll have to have a read back to learn your technique.

Best. 

Edited by Barnaby
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Now for a personal request.

I recently had a Hard Drive failure on my pc and after a new one was fitted I have not been able to retrieve my web FAVOURITE listing.  That means a lot of references have gone piff, paff, puff all gone.

As I mention in my post above ref your recent photo posting I was very taken with the first one.

I had previously made some ref's with you workings but have not yet been able to find them all.

Is there any chance if you can recall where/when your ballasting work was filed as I'll soon be starting my ballasting work and I'd like to have a reread refresh before I start.

Many thanks

Edited by Barnaby

13 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Now for a personal request.

I recently had a Hard Drive failure on my pc and after a new one was fitted I have not been able to retrieve my web FAVOURITE listing.  That means a lot of references have gone piff, paff, puff all gone.

As I mention in my post above ref your recent photo posting I was very taken with the first one.

I had previously made some ref's with you workings but have not yet been able to find them all.

Is there any chance if you can recall where/when your ballasting work was filed as I'll soon be starting my ballasting work and I'd like to have a reread refresh before I start.

Many thanks

here’s my 2 videos on Ballasting and what I used, with the 2nd one being the weathering 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ian I have them now I had been working my way through your vids by doing a "speed view" and had found Vids 80, 81 and 82 had some track weathering tips and track point improving tips too.    I've added the 2 you show above 98 & 99 for my reference.

I like your wipe over the sleepers tip to de-glaze them with some cellulose thinners which then presents a much better surface to accept paint without knackering any detail.

I've washed some builders sand and air dried it in the oven after cooking.

Thanks again.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

Oh no!!!. 

Am I right in understanding DPD are an overseas courier?  If so where does your tracking info say it was last noted to be?  Was it outgoing or incoming to you.

Normally these companies fill a crate up and ship it out which should mean the dodgy bits are getting to the couriers base  and the landed distribution network.   The crated goods are mostly secured for the journey in the sealed container.

I hope you had them insured.

Best of luck.

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Oh no!!!. 

Am I right in understanding DPD are an overseas courier?  If so where does your tracking info say it was last noted to be?  Was it outgoing or incoming to you.

Normally these companies fill a crate up and ship it out which should mean the dodgy bits are getting to the couriers base  and the landed distribution network.   The crated goods are mostly secured for the journey in the sealed container.

I hope you had them insured.

Best of luck.

DPD are a UK Company.

1st had departed the UK on the 01/02 and due to be delivered last Monday. Not seen of since

2nd was shipped same day due same day and no tracking info at all

3rd tracking info to the delivery agent last Monday, and then disappeared 

DPD no help to me, so in the hands of Hattons now as DPD aren’t responding to me. 

hopefully they will rematerialise and the fuss will be for nothing....but next time will use the DHL option  

• Friendly/supportive 3

I have shipped a number of things out to Australia over the years, and twice have had the unpleasant situation when said items disappeared for about a week, only to turn up unannounced, but safe.  I hope this is what happens to your items

best

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Ian.  Some of the info in this post may be helpful to you.

>>>

This wasn't down to Hatton's but the carrier DPD.

Best

never had any issue with Hattons dealing with a problem, and they have already advised me if DPD have lost them, then they will send a replacement for each item

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, class27 said:

I have shipped a number of things out to Australia over the years, and twice have had the unpleasant situation when said items disappeared for about a week, only to turn up unannounced, but safe.  I hope this is what happens to your items

best

Steve

Well, one has arrived. the 3rd one, however with this one there was tracking to say it had arrived in the country. the other 2, one has disappeared having departed the UK and not arrived anywhere else, and the other there is absolutely nothing. not even a tracking email from DPD, but if you enter the tracking number for that, it too went to oblivion from the UK. DPD have been of no help at all, and each time i contact them, they tell me to tell Hattons to contact them. Ironically, when the 3rd item was delivered, they couldn't even tell me where it was delivered

• RMweb Premium

How does it compare to the one you did? Would be one of those rare occasions where I was desperate to find things wrong* with a new model!

Are the fuel tanks narrowed or the same? That's one job I haven't fancied doing due to the metal chassis.

*of the easily sorted variety!

Edited by Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

How does it compare to the one you did? Would be one of those rare occasions where I was desperate to find things wrong* with a new model!

Are the fuel tanks narrowed or the same? That's one job I haven't fancied doing due to the metal chassis.

*of the easily sorted variety!

narrowing of the fuel tanks is easy as it separates into different parts, meaning the mounting doesn’t get affected, however the tanks appear narrower, and the bolster springs are moved in. Still no exhauster the steps are spindly and I’ll need to replace them

the paint shades appear close to railmatch, however the construction logos are too dark, the black round the cab front should go to the handrails (050 being odd as it got repainted at Stratford, the cantrail stripe is in the wrong place and also incomplete.....plenty for me to tinker with without having to be a total respray, just need to work out how best to remove the sector logo as they are slightly bigger than the fox ones whose shade I like