Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

12 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Nice lamp work there Ian and some interesting shadows appearing on the back scene skyline in the last and darkest photo.

Best 

I have been tinkering, and obviously the lights are too bright. They currently have a 1k ohm resistor in series with the LED. I now have 5 1k ohm resistors on one now, and it gives a better light, so going to see if I can get some 5k ohm resistors today, and wire them in permanently and get a bette4 picture 

• Informative/Useful 1

I had a similar issue trying to get the correct pool of light from the yard lamps without lighting the backscene. Several resistors later I was happy. I use a small battery LED spotlight in the roof of my attic railway room to give the effect of moonlight which is better than complete dark, and as a bonus, I can just see what I am doing when playing trains 

5 hours ago, class27 said:

I had a similar issue trying to get the correct pool of light from the yard lamps without lighting the backscene. Several resistors later I was happy. I use a small battery LED spotlight in the roof of my attic railway room to give the effect of moonlight which is better than complete dark, and as a bonus, I can just see what I am doing when playing trains 

it will be a rarity to be in. Complete darkness, especially as the depot is in the middle of suburbia, so there will be ambient light eventually 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Something didnt quite look right there but it's taken me an age to work out the windows are missing!

Some nice subtle tones going on there.

yep. Easier to take them out than mask the

Hello Ian you have much more patience than me in painting the bogie pipework to show more detail.

Things that came into my mind none of which I have tried but could be worth a try are:-

1/  use some suitable fuse wire to over lay the existing pipe work and any of the original moulding would look like shadow, leave the wire natural or paint as before.

2/  Using a VERY SHARP knife held backwards to cut with the blade back for more control or a scrawker run along each side of the pipes to enhance the 3-D effect then paint white and black as before.

Mind you as I've said above I probably wouldn't have the patience these days so I'll need you to assess it.

Brilliant work though Ian.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Ian you have much more patience than me in painting the bogie pipework to show more detail.

Things that came into my mind none of which I have tried but could be worth a try are:-

1/  use some suitable fuse wire to over lay the existing pipe work and any of the original moulding would look like shadow, leave the wire natural or paint as before.

2/  Using a VERY SHARP knife held backwards to cut with the blade back for more control or a scrawker run along each side of the pipes to enhance the 3-D effect then paint white and black as before.

Mind you as I've said above I probably wouldn't have the patience these days so I'll need you to assess it.

Brilliant work though Ian.

Best

I had considered running wire, however, given the numbers of pipes I’d need, and the fact they run in and out of the framework and over lips, it’s too much. It was paint or nothing 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Ian,

Made a start reading your thread from the start one thing Iv been meaning to ask you was how did you get the great effect of paths in between the tracks? Looks superb!

Secondly flicking through the modelu catalogue I see your crew cabin in it, very nice indeed too.

Cheers

Julian.

50 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Ian,

Made a start reading your thread from the start one thing Iv been meaning to ask you was how did you get the great effect of paths in between the tracks? Looks superb!

Secondly flicking through the modelu catalogue I see your crew cabin in it, very nice indeed too.

Cheers

Julian.

where is my crew cabin kit? The dirt is black wash as per the YouTube video link

Edited by 47606odin