Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw that, at first I thought that was the 009 Ian was talking about.

6 hours ago, D6775 said:

Think that's the first overall picture I have seen of HG. Your other pictures make it look so much bigger!

the has been a couple of full length pictures when the traverser was all installed. It is small because that’s literally the room filled.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 14/10/2020 at 20:04, Andrew P said:

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw that, at first I thought that was the 009 Ian was talking about.

I'm impressed and inspired by the realism of the trackwork and environs. The effect probably adds to a perception of a depth of field making it look bigger than the reality. The angle of photography helps too! 

If my track looks anywhere near as good as this i'll be very happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I think cropping the landscape photos makes it look longer. However, getting down low is the way to view any layout

Fully agreed! I can't wait to get down low and see something actually cross the bridge on our layout. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D6775 said:

Fully agreed! I can't wait to get down low and see something actually cross the bridge on our layout. 

it looks great, and you have the added bonus of viewing up from street level or as if your looking out of a window opposite

20 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Looks very much like the SMG’s we had in the turrets of our Chieftains and Challengers in another life when I was in the mob.

Literally useless if someone had a wet trench coat on at 100 metres away the bullet wouldn't have gone through it.

They are based around a Sterling Single Machine gun.  I once had two old guy come up to my while kitted up and I heard them talking about the blaster and it looked looked something they'd used, they were quite surprised when I explained what they were based on and that they were indeed what they had used all those years ago.

Well, every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

went into the Quacks for a check of a little cough I’ve had for a while now, checks my blood pressure....long story short, stress has blown my blood pressure through the roof.

that means 10 days off track and staying at home relaxing. Well, if I can’t get some modelling done now, I never will

• Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, d winpenny said:

Hi long time lurker first time commenter love the layout. Please forgive my ignorance what is the issue with the nose grills can’t see any difference, could be me being blind?

david

it turned out that each grille on the nose, of which there are 2 each end on each side, on the refurbished 37/5 there isn’t the centre support stays

C50E7533-3DA6-446E-BB16-88B75B3AFB4B.jpeg.ce7fd3cea4389412ab0d48a92ce4d59c.jpeg

Well, today I did as much as I can with my mates blaster, so that’s ready to return to him, so tomorrow, it’ll be video making time and a start on some wagon weathering....and reattach the coupling to the 37 which unscrewed themselves in transit. What an awkward job that is!

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

it turned out that each grille on the nose, of which there are 2 each end on each side, on the refurbished 37/5 there isn’t the centre support stays

Looks like they are more flush so you could hack away the centre support then drop in overlays of  scored styrene?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

indeed, however obtaining EWS maroon is going to be harder to find than making the grilles I think

I know Heljan diesel green is very close to the Precision version but I dont know if that is just lucky or deliberate.

3 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I know Heljan diesel green is very close to the Precision version but I dont know if that is just lucky or deliberate.

I guess lucky. I might see if I can find a maroon in my local model shop and see if I can tone it down without making it go too pink. Weathering will help disguise a very slight shade variation 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I guess lucky. I might see if I can find a maroon in my local model shop and see if I can tone it down without making it go too pink. Weathering will help disguise a very slight shade variation 

NSW Indian Red maybe? Now you mention the grills that's why we discounted 667, I had forgotten. The /5's are a minefield some with different grills on different cabsides. You may want to manufacture the headboard brackets above the centre panel too. I know Chris was trying to get some made.

6 hours ago, D6775 said:

NSW Indian Red maybe? Now you mention the grills that's why we discounted 667, I had forgotten. The /5's are a minefield some with different grills on different cabsides. You may want to manufacture the headboard brackets above the centre panel too. I know Chris was trying to get some made.

I believe he was, but the headboard brackets don’t look too difficult so I think easier to scratch build, although some close up photos of the things would be useful. I could also add the sandite fillers if I was being a bit more accurate too

Yes you must take the distressing seriously Ian sir.  I've just had to do some regular checking as my BP had suddenly shot up too, the Drs a little confused as to why it was so sudden with no other problems existing.

That's an informative vid well put together, thanks.

EEEk Ian there is a 3-eyed alien peering over you back scene by your left shoulder.  Calm down, calm down.

Regards

Ian re. the EWS paint colour do you have access to a Halfords style shop down under as they have a pint mixer system and will mix small quantities to any shade you want.

Edited by Barnaby
additional info.
  • Funny 1