Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone can see why the stay alive doesn't work, let me know why  :scratchhead:

Hi,

470uF won't give very much stay-alive capacity at all.

I use Zimo decoders with either their SC68 supercap (6800uF) which gives 1 to 2 seconds of stay-alive, or Digitrains' own capacitor array which gives about 30 seconds (really!). My Dapol 08 will happily play idle sounds long after it's been lifted off the track as it has the capacitor array.

470uF would give less than 1/10th of an SC68 so under 0.1s, which isn't really noticeable.

If you've got any other capacitors of the same voltage rating, try temporarily adding them in parallel to your existing capacitor, just to prove a point. At about 5000uF you should see a noticeable stay-alive effect.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

470uF won't give very much stay-alive capacity at all.

I use Zimo decoders with either their SC68 supercap (6800uF) which gives 1 to 2 seconds of stay-alive, or Digitrains' own capacitor array which gives about 30 seconds (really!). My Dapol 08 will happily play idle sounds long after it's been lifted off the track as it has the capacitor array.

470uF would give less than 1/10th of an SC68 so under 0.1s, which isn't really noticeable.

If you've got any other capacitors of the same voltage rating, try temporarily adding them in parallel to your existing capacitor, just to prove a point. At about 5000uF you should see a noticeable stay-alive effect.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply.

yes, it turns out the supplied capacitor is basically enough to stop lights flickering on dirt, and Digitrains said they don't bother to use them and recommend 1000uf. mind you, if they don't bother to fit them, its a wonder why they bother to supply them, and at 30 seconds, i would be able to drive it from one end of the layout and back again more than one lol

• Like 1

Well I have attacked by boards with a jig saw. Lots of noise and mess, but the pit locations are sorted. I now need more wood, but that will have to wait until next weeks payday

post-14935-0-32211600-1546492402_thumb.jpeg

The nearest road is shorter to accommodate a welders bay, which should be suitable for a cameo scene, although it’s layout will be fictional as I have not been able to find any photos

post-14935-0-04938700-1546492419_thumb.jpeg

I can get 8 class 33’s in the shed at any one time, however, with class 60’s on Depot, it is unlikely to ever happen

post-14935-0-03886700-1546492436_thumb.jpeg

I have amended the layout, the point on the bottom left was going into the workshop side of the shed (4 road) but have decided not to include that part of the shed as it means you wouldn’t see 1-3 roads easily. I have also had to straighten the curvature slightly but it will give me more options.

By moving the shed across, means I can now put the point in (far right) behind the shed. This should be a straight point that goes up to the turntable, but in this case will allow me to have a couple of hidden sidings and that part of the layout is hidden behind a building

• Like 1