Sharpie 2-2-2/0-4-2 drawings

many of the characteristics would be more or less the same as other Sharp Stewart locos of the era - for example the 0-6-0 in The Engineer April 30th 1858, which is a very detailed and fully dimensioned drawing with between-the-frames detail etc.

• RMweb Gold

If you can track down a copy of "Locomotives of the LNWR Southern Division" By Harry Jack or The Oakwood Press's "The London North Western Railway" by Mike Sharman, both have drawings of No 4 (1846) and No 9 (1847).

These engines were 2-2-2 Passenger engines from Sharp Bothers built for the Manchester and Birmingham.

Some of this type were loaned to the Southern Division to assist with a shortage of motive power, hence the inclusion in Harry Jack's book.

The drawings for no 9 differ in the two books.

Edited by Argos

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Killian- I've just seen your thread- as part of the building of the Odin replica, an excellent analysis of the loco was published- it's full of drawings- plans, sections and elevations and detailed drawings of most components. Here's a link which might be of help:

http://www.glias.org.uk/books/216books.html

The book is ‘The Odin Project: Design and Construction of Denmark's First Locomotive’, by Michael R Bailey and John P Glithero
ISBN 87-982227-7-5. Available from PO Box 421, 15 Mill Gardens, Elmswell, Bury St Edmunds IP30 9DQ. £25 + 4.10p&p (cheques to The Danish Railway Museum)

The Danish railway museum at Odense had a stack of them going for 20DKK when I went last year (about £2.50) and you could probably get a copy from the museum- but the postage will be expensive. If you're stuck I could photocopy my copy and send it to you at cost.

John

Hi Killian

There was a wonderful 7mm scale model of the Danish loco made by Nick Baines that was on display on Ian Rathbone's stand at Telford recently. I believe that he has a photo on his web site. Burtt's 'Locomotives of the LB&SCR'  has some side elevations that may be helpful.

Best wishes

Rich