Farish conflats

Kris

• RMweb Premium

The farish conflats are apparently now in the shops. From the pictures they look quite nice. Has anyone got their hands one an example yet? Are they any good?

The farish conflats are apparently now in the shops. From the pictures they look quite nice. Has anyone got their hands one an example yet? Are they any good?

Well, I've got some coming from Hattons by DHL. (I ordered them on Friday, so, because of the post strike, they sent them by DHL) when they arrive, I'll let you know.

Well, they finally arrived. And, they do indeed look quite nice. They are very light - the containers are hollow. There's a wholebuncha writing that you need a magnifying glass to read - the level of detail is, overall pretty good. If there are any 2mm scale chains out there to hold the containers down... I don't know of any. When I dig out all the cables for my camera, I'll post some pictures.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like they need a bit of weight popped in the containers then. Pop down to your local cheap and nasty jewellers for the chain. I have a feeling argos do something that can be hacked about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've bought one of each type and am delighted to report that the wagons each have different numbers and lettering layouts.

Does anyone know how to replace the couplings though? The gap between wagons is rather huge! They're not the NEM type, nor are they the old Farish type with easily (?) removable springs.

Does anyone know how to replace the couplings though? The gap between wagons is rather huge!

I agree!

I really like the new Farish wagons produced in the last couple of years - they have taken N gauge forward in a massive stride as a serious scale - but I just hate the totally unrealistic gap between the wagons. This problem applies to the Farish BR Standard vans as well. It means that a train of these wagons just doesn't look like the real thing.

While the Peco wagon range is now looking outdated and unrealistic in comparison, one aspect where they still score is their close coupling.

When Farish and Dapol are giving so much emphasis to closing the gap between coaches, why not wagons as well?

Douglas G

According to RExModeller and friends in the know, the wagon under the twin 8ft containers is completely wrong. Farish have renumbered a Conflat A to be a Conflat B, when it should be a different wagon - the Conflat Bs (for the twin containers) were re-built from pipe wagons and are a lot longer both wheelbase and over buffers. Still it's nice Conflat A wagon - just take the containers off, add tie bars and re-number.

G.

According to RExModeller and friends in the know, the wagon under the twin 8ft containers is completely wrong. Farish have renumbered a Conflat A to be a Conflat B, when it should be a different wagon - the Conflat Bs (for the twin containers) were re-built from pipe wagons and are a lot longer both wheelbase and over buffers. Still it's nice Conflat A wagon - just take the containers off, add tie bars and re-number.

G.

It could be the containers that are wrong, rather than, or maybe as well as, the wagons. You can get two type A (7'6") containers on a conflat A, or one type B. Type AFP (frozen food) containers only fit on a conflat B, so the Birds Eye containers are probably too short... (They should, in fact by 9'2")

It could be the containers that are wrong, rather than, or maybe as well as, the wagons.

The wagon with the twin containers on is definately wrong as it is numbered as a Conflat B when it is really a Conflat A. But yep, the containers are probably also wrong as well. They have probably been reduced in size to fit two on a Conflat A, whereas with a correct longer Conflat B it wouldn't have been a problem.

G.

The wagon with the twin containers on is definately wrong as it is numbered as a Conflat B when it is really a Conflat A. But yep, the containers are probably also wrong as well. They have probably been reduced in size to fit two on a Conflat A, whereas with a correct longer Conflat B it wouldn't have been a problem.

G.

Having had a look at the ones I have, the small containers are marked AF - I don't have any Birds Eye ones which should be AFP - and, as far as I can tell, are the only ones that should go on a conflat B. Assuming AF containers are the same size as a type A, then two on a conflat A is ok...

Ah well...

[Edit]

It looks as if what they've done is made them the smaller type AF containers rather than the (expected?) AFP containers. (AFP containers are bigger and take stuff loaded on pallets) This just raises the question of whether AF containers ever had those particular... liveries(?)

In summary, I think it's fair to say that the Farish conflats & containers are somewhat of a mixed-bag!

The wagon itself is a nice representation of a Conflat A (certainly better than the old Peco version), but as highlighted in the Rail Express Modeller review, it should either have tie-bars & different buffers to suit the brake type modelled, or it needs clasp brakes to be more prototypically correct. The version with the 'Birds Eye' containers is an aberration - it's obviously the same Conflat A, but liveried to represent the longer Conflat B to suit the containers (which themselves are compromised to fit the wrong type of wagon...) - very disappointing by current standards, IMHO.

Regarding the containers themselves, the AF & BD types are nice models in their own right, & the BR early-style crimson, white & Ice Blue liveries all seem fine (the GWR version I can't comment on). The 'AFP' container, however, is too short (as mentioned previously), & just seems to be a means to represent the iconic 'Birds Eye' livery, albeit on an incorrect container on an incorrect wagon. It looks nice though, which I suspect is all that will concern a lot of people, but as far as I can see, the 'Birds Eye' livery only appeared on the AFP container, & that's not what we've got here.

The 'Speedfreight' liveried container is another anomaly - the BD-type containers used on this service differed from the standard BD in that they did not have roof lifting points and the associated diagonal side strapping/bracing, but had lifting brackets built into the base. As the model container is a standard BD, this is incorrect for the livery. Also, the wagons used on the Speedfreight trains were modified versions of the standard Conflat A, with the bodywork removed & replaced by corner brackets & pins to hold the container in position (the earlier chains & shackles were no longer used), which is not represented in the model, so once again, the wrong container on the wrong wagon...

Kevin

In summary, I think it's fair to say that the Farish conflats & containers are somewhat of a mixed-bag!

The wagon itself is a nice representation of a Conflat A (certainly better than the old Peco version), but as highlighted in the Rail Express Modeller review, it should either have tie-bars & different buffers to suit the brake type modelled, or it needs clasp brakes to be more prototypically correct. The version with the 'Birds Eye' containers is an aberration - it's obviously the same Conflat A, but liveried to represent the longer Conflat B to suit the containers (which themselves are compromised to fit the wrong type of wagon...) Kevin

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the tie bars thing, none of the 4mm scale models that should have them do either because in plastic they just warp.

Bachmann did the same thing in 4mm with the Birdseye containers and a Conflat A. I think its because the bright container design is quite popular.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the tie bars thing, none of the 4mm scale models that should have them do either because in plastic they just warp.

I'm not so sure that applies so much in N gauge - I seem to recall some older wagons that included moulded tie bars. But the fact that they're missing, and may warp in plastic, is hardly an excuse to leave them off for those who want to attain a high degree of realism - simply a matter of adding brass strip.

Bachmann did the same thing in 4mm with the Birdseye containers and a Conflat A. I think its because the bright container design is quite popular.

Yep, something like that. I recall Colin (from Bachmann telling me) that it was to provide 'joined up thinking' in that they would go with the recently (or due) green liveried loco (class 31 or maybe 24 - I'm not sure) that used to head a train load of the Bird Eye container wagons - and be able to provide a complete nice bright looking prototype train.

G.

I'm not so sure that applies so much in N gauge - I seem to recall some older wagons that included moulded tie bars. But the fact that they're missing, and may warp in plastic, is hardly an excuse to leave them off for those who want to attain a high degree of realism - simply a matter of adding brass strip.

G.

I was referring only to new Bachmann production such as these conflats or the BR vent vans, neither of which have tie bars. Older stock may have them as older 4mm stuff does.

I never said it was an excuse and always add etched ones to my stock but I was saying you can't imply the brake gear is incorrect due to it as its always been left off on purpose by the manufacturer whether it should be there or not.

• RMweb Premium

Well, they finally arrived. And, they do indeed look quite nice. They are very light - the containers are hollow. There's a wholebuncha writing that you need a magnifying glass to read - the level of detail is, overall pretty good. If there are any 2mm scale chains out there to hold the containers down... I don't know of any. When I dig out all the cables for my camera, I'll post some pictures.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that N Brass do etched tie-down chains complete with representations of the tensioners. Can't see anthing on their web site though.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Archived