Bocott Steel

pitbull1845

A successful weekend at Warley, wish I had more money, so much stuff that I would've liked for Bocott..

The intention was to buy wagons for the steel works, however it didn't really go to plan..

This pair were the only Steel wagons purchased!

post-6849-0-43487600-1543184461_thumb.jpg

I ended up buying a loco that I've wanted for a long time.

post-6849-0-65648400-1543184498_thumb.jpg

And then everywhere I turned, MEA wagons kept appearing on the stalls and I kept buying them, so now I have a rake. I need to come up with a reason to run them now.

post-6849-0-32614900-1543184518_thumb.jpg

I also purchased a few items from model railway scenery and hope to get to work on them soon..

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 10

I wasn't aware they were used for scrap, I'll do some research.

The MEA's were a product of BR sectorisation, the first were built to replace MDV's in South Wales, the next ones for blending coal in the Midlands. After this Mainline built 60 which if I remember correctly were used for scrap from Snailwell possibly to Sheerness. Loadhaul had ordered the all black ones which initially were used for Aggregate from Rhylstone to York for the pipeline that was being built from the Tees to York for Yorkshire Water. After that it was EWS who built the remainder.

For Scrap there were the three SJA's built at Cathays, possibly to replace the HSA. Iit appears the sale of the Railease POA's to BR becoming the SSA changed the plans to build more!

Mark Saunders

Thought I had been following this layout but obviously not! I model present day so this is a little early for me, however I’ll make an exception with this one as I love steel layouts and you have the odd EWS loco here and there :-)

Chris

Hi,

Just a quick update on the layout, we'll start at the main steel works first.

I was never happy with one of the buildings, which originally was going to be for the maintenance of the private shunter.

So I decided to change it to another warehouse type building. It's not finished yet but I think its already an improvement.

post-6849-0-44875500-1543871997_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-64912700-1543872026_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-43362700-1543872054_thumb.jpg

Over to the docks run round and exchange sidings now, nothing major to report, Just finished off the staff crossing and barriers.

58050 is waiting to be released so it can run round it train. This was a Warley purchase, lights dont work (I'm guessing they should?)

post-6849-0-27159000-1543872080_thumb.jpg

Finally over to Redbrook sidings, PaulRhb gave me a nice clean Freightliner container last week, and I've attempted to weather it and now put it in place by the shunters/drivers crew room.

post-6849-0-97315300-1543872114_thumb.jpg

That's about it for now, other than to say thanks to Mark for his MEA input.. Although I'm still unsure whether to do coal or scrap.. until I make that decision they'll remain running as empties!

TTFN

post-6849-0-44875500-1543871997_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-64912700-1543872026_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-43362700-1543872054_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-27159000-1543872080_thumb.jpg

post-6849-0-97315300-1543872114_thumb.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

put it in place by the shunters/drivers crew room.
post-6849-0-97315300-1543872114_thumb.jp
That's about it for now, other than to say thanks to Mark for his MEA input.. Although I'm still unsure whether to do coal or scrap.. until I make that decision they'll remain running as empties!

My money is on scrap...more of a future? Can also use EWS MBA's too if you choose...

• Like 3

put it in place by the shunters/drivers crew room.post-6849-0-97315300-1543872114_thumb.jp

My money is on scrap...more of a future? Can also use EWS MBA's too if you choose...

Blast Furnace Slag is another option but I can’t recall traffic details for this other than Scunthorpe & Lackenby as origin points!

Mark Saunders

• 3 months later...

Afternoon, 

It's been a while, I've had too much going on in my personal life which has meant the layout has been ignored for several months. 

I've had to sell some stock to pay the solicitor and therefore  the modelling budget is non existent. 

However, I've finally ventured out to the garage this week and decided there was something missing from the layout. 

I decided that a station was needed to add that little bit of variety for when I can eventually re stock and get a dmu.  So looking through my odds and ends boxes I've managed to couple together a platform and build into into what was the embankment. The problem I had was trying to think of a way to model the entance/exit area as there was limited room due to.the close proximity to the backscene. 

In the end I attempted to make a set of stairs. It's a bit rough and ready but as I said, I had to use what I had laying about. 

I think it will Do, not quite finished yet but it's getting there. 

I'll add a couple more pictures and a bit more blurb a bit later. 

20190330_161541.jpg

20190330_160618.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That looks good and all it really needs now is a few station signs. I don't have any 90's DMU's but if you want something modern to run I've got a 150 in FGW and a pacer.

Thanks Paul, 

I was looking at my station signs, but they're all NSE style, the layouts based in South Wales (i think!) So will have to get some different ones. Probably just standard BR ones. 

Thanks for the offer of the dmus. Maybe when I get the fiddle yard done I'll take you up on that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably be able to find plenty of BR images online you can modify using the NSE stuff as a template. If you need any help with that give me a buzz. Could even make some double sided so they can be turned round to switch eras :) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just another couple of pictures of the station. 

The operational idea behind it, is that a dmu or class 37 hauled 4  coach train will enter the station, and then take the branch line down to the docks area (fiddle yard)  and then return. 

There's enough room for the 37 to run round so this will add a bit more operational interest. 

Thanks for the offer of loaning dmus Ian, thats very kind of you, like I said to Paul, once the FY is done then I may borrow one for clearance testing and route learning.  

20190330_161307.jpg

20190330_161541.jpg

• Like 15

Work continues in the garage. The station is nearing completion, fence is in place and 2 new shelters have arrived. Still need to get some lamp posts, not bothered if they Work or not as I won't be playing trains in the dark, and of course the  signage needs to be added. 

Had a brief running session earlier, once I'd cleaned up the mess. Picture shows 37042 waiting to leave the dock branch into the station before running round its train and heading off to Margam yard. 

Screenshot_20190403-172333.png

• Like 15

Hi Scott, I am really liking the new layout the backscene and buildings look great. I really like the rusty fence in the last pic too. 

All the best Peter.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Scott, I am really liking the new layout the backscene and buildings look great. I really like the rusty fence in the last pic too. 

Thanks Peter, I think ive found my mojo again, it's been missing for some time. Hope all is well down under.. 

• Like 1