Bocott Steel

pitbull1845

Hi Scott,

My father used to work at one of the British Steel plants before he retired so I got to know a fair amount about their operation. From the sounds of where you are going (nice plan btw) it might be worth you researching Chelsea at Cardiff as it might be more appropriate than one if the bigger works. Feel free to shout if you have any queries - I don’t have all the answers but should be able to point you in the right direction!

Look forward to following your progress.

Richie

Looking Good Scott,

Looks like Celsa for sure, i work just by it and pass every day. I have a number of contacts in the area that have a lot of photos I can see if I can get for you. It already looks good and has that Allied Steel & Wire / Celsa look about it... You also have Tidal sidings close by which holds a variety of wagons, you could have this near your layout also to give you the option of other traffic.

All the best 

Leon. 

Hi Scott.

Celsa from the air.

Send me your email I can Dropbox a load of pic over including the nearby Tidal Sidings.

In the 1st picture you can see the site has 4 08 shunters, there are also 3 Gbrf class 66's stabled on site most of the time.

The scrap yard over the road has rail access also but long out of use now. Celsa has its own scrap bay.

post-5554-0-07938900-1537162418_thumb.jpeg

post-5554-0-75182600-1537162447_thumb.jpeg

post-5554-0-50286600-1537162485_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 1

Thanks Richie and Leon; appreciate your comments and offers of assistance.

Great photos by the way Leon I'll PM you.

The layout is in 3 parts, and I'll show the other 2 at some point although they're not in any kind of finished state.

The main thing for me on part 1, is to look at the general clutter laying about and I feel I need a few more pipes about the place!

• Like 2

Thanks Richie and Leon; appreciate your comments and offers of assistance.

Great photos by the way Leon I'll PM you.

The layout is in 3 parts, and I'll show the other 2 at some point although they're not in any kind of finished state.

The main thing for me on part 1, is to look at the general clutter laying about and I feel I need a few more pipes about the place!

Hi Scott,

Looks great - apologies, when I posted earlier, no pictures were showing so I thought you were just starting as opposed to being well underway!

Like the backscene, puts the whole layout clearly in a Steel area.

Richie

Edited by Richie Kynaston

Hi Scott,

Looks great - apologies, when I posted earlier, no pictures were showing so I thought you were just starting as opposed to being well underway!

Hi Richie, you're right I hadn't added the pics at that time, so no need to apologise..

Good start,

I like the corrugated steel fence , that’s nice

Thanks, it's just printed from Modelrailwayscenery. Seems to do the job.

So with all 3 kids now in school I'm finding a bit more time during the day to get into the garage..

I've just been pottering about with the scenic side of things and trying out various operating sequences; which isn't very exciting when you don't have much stock,But it keeps me entertained.

I've been doing a bit of work to the other part of the layout, by adding the hard standing around the loco servicing ufacility. But forgot to take pictures.

I did however take a picture of "Charlie" the faithful shunter post-6849-0-40375700-1537470412_thumb.jpg

And just one of the end of the layout.

post-6849-0-58984100-1537470434_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks Andy and Mick for your votes of confidence!

Just a quick play this morning:

47636 worked the early morning loaded scrap train today, seen here after arriving at the unloading siding.

post-6849-0-81800400-1537536334_thumb.jpg

A short time later its moved to the disused branch line, this now acts as a siding for locos waiting their next turn.

post-6849-0-42424800-1537536374_thumb.jpg

37114 arrived light engine to pick up 3 loaded VGA's, not sure what they're loaded with, I haven't researched that bit yet!

post-6849-0-39567900-1537536399_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I know from other posts you felt you weren't getting anywhere with completing layouts, but this model is brilliant - from the first image I just thought Birmingham - the type of steel yards you would see from the WCML between Wolverhampton and New Street looking down from the embankments.

It looks interesting to operate, you can mix eras, you've the option with the top loop of other non-steel freight running round, the only diesel locos you wouldn't see on this would be a Deltic or a 50 - anything else is pretty much game on.

• RMweb Premium

I know from other posts you felt you weren't getting anywhere with completing layouts, but this model is brilliant - from the first image I just thought Birmingham - the type of steel yards you would see from the WCML between Wolverhampton and New Street looking down from the embankments.

It looks interesting to operate, you can mix eras, you've the option with the top loop of other non-steel freight running round, the only diesel locos you wouldn't see on this would be a Deltic or a 50 - anything else is pretty much game on.

It wasn't that long ago (edit: OOPS - 20 years ago)  that Cross Country used a D*lt*c on a Saturday service round Birmingham way...…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_livings/6272998126/in/photolist-ayjKN7-k3cCUZ-hjRTZx-it9dj1-pNhXFL-qpuapW-iHDHs9-b2P7D8-eSyBVd-Dso3PT-a6HqY9-28BcnAZ-6me4CT-drbrp-gp4Pay-a1YXj3-adUEnZ-9DCHki-dEiVUT-GN5oia-8akwRL-fBPXvt-Y1WrcR-YLj5xm-nQCw2X-9zSUoJ-sFRRNZ-JV8CWX-22WNraW-cfzDCu-gq3TBL-qrET3k-52v5En-bopdHB-chcLN1-d9Xw9T-Dso3P2-f1hVxj-dhNM5M-dhbt9z-YJKRhC-R3u6gB-rXo52F-fWCvxq-gq2R4E-TXcX4s-gq2Ysh-gq3RK6-8EMBGD-gq4gFe

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Thanks, that's very kind of you to say, I've never really thought about locations outside of S Wales, I'll have to do a bit more research, I've always fancied a pair of sound fitted 20's so need to broaden my horizons!

Good stuff, looks a bit like brierley hill, but that was receiving steel not making it .attachicon.gif743864CC-97E5-44B1-912B-21511AE3C083.png

Thanks Rob, an interesting picture, not a location I'd heard of. I do have plans to find a decent crane; I have my eye on a walthers one. Edited by pitbull1845

Evening,

Thanks again for the comments; sorry for the delay, don't get on here as much as I used too.

I've mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm working on other parts of the layout and have made a bit of progress with it, so thought I'd share it with you.

I have to say a big thank you to John from www.scalescenes.com who has helped me out big time.

post-6849-0-76141700-1538075336_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-60631900-1538075361_thumb.jpg

Everything is just in temporary to give me an idea of how it will look. I will be adding plenty to the building. pipes, Doors, stairs, vents etc etc..

The final photo is to give an idea of how it all goes together.

Left side is the FY, which I'll probably scenic it and steal the US term and call it a staging yard.

The other two elements should be self explanatory.

post-6849-0-02266300-1538075386_thumb.jpg

I just need to do some surfing now to find the detailing bits I'm after.

Thanks again for looking.

• Like 9