Bocott Steel

pitbull1845

Hi mate, 

Really love the video and enjoyed watching. great little movement. Need to de mainline that 37 tho....yuk... lol  Add some Coal Diamonds or something... :)

Looking to get back in my atic soon, just sent a TTS Class 66 sound decoder back to Rails. :(

Please get some more up mate I wan to see more...

All the best 

Leon

• Thanks 1

Hi leon, 

Thanks for the vote of confidence.. I will get some sub sector locos eventually, but I also want Transrail and Loadhaul etc... I've been looking at YouTube for the era I'm modelling and I can have pretty much have anything I want which is great but costly. 

Look forward to seeing an update from you soon, I take it you weren't pleased with the TTS.  The 37 has one fitted, I will change it eventually but it does me for now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've had a bit of an arts and craft session this Morning, painting the pile of plastic steel coils and a few other bits.. 

Was seriously considering driving to S Wales earlier for a bit of research, thought about going to Barry docks to take photos, but I spent so long debating it,  that it's now too late. 

So I'll just have to do some googling instead, planning for the dock phase of the layout. 

I still managed to get some shunting in with 08775, inspired by my trip to Eastleigh last week, where they now have a couple of shunters back in the yard, since Gbrf took control.

20190407_123745.jpg

20190405_090943.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 14

Great shunting video mate, well done. I didn't realise you had a crossover on the layout - Nice.

Looks just like the set up here in Cardiff at Celsa, formally AS&W.

Keep it up mate.

• Thanks 1

Hi mate, 

A nice shot of Margam inc the steel works by someone I follow on Flickr, Nathan.

Thought it may be of interest to you. If we get down there i was hoping to capture the same with he drone.

Port Talbot Steelworks.

This one shows the footpath crossing the yard. You are literally feet away from the trains

Margam Knuckle Yard.

Edited by Leon
  • Like 12

Those photos are amazing; there are some further bits, mainly the coke ovens and ore terminal, off to the left. The main site must be a couple of miles long.

If anyone is thinking of paying a visit, leave the M4 at the turning marked 'Margam Crematorium' . Initially follow the turning off the roundabout marked for the crem, then follow this road, past the BOC plant until you eventually arrive at a gate. There is a turning circle for vehicles up to crew-bus size, and some parking.

There is a small pedestrian gate giving access to a foot crossing, with a public footpath crossing the main line, and the western approaches to the yard. Be very careful using the crossing, which has good sight-lines, as services on the main line can be running at speed. 

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Station looks really good Scott! Back in the early 90's this would have been part of the upgrade project BR did re-opening the valley lines. Your RR signage looks good.

This was operated by class 156's and the occasional pacer!

Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh!

Rhys

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys, 

Sorry I've been on nights, so only just got over my zombie like state.

Thanks for adding the pictures Leon, I can't wait to go and have a look, and get some inspiration and pictures. 

Thanks Rhys, I might have to use a bit of licence and use a 150 or a new 158 when they arrive for the passenger service. Of course the 37 hauled passenger service is also a possibility..  I'll arrange a visit when it gets a bit warmer and I'll open the bar too. 

I've not been able to get out in the garage due to work and half term, but I have been drawing ideas for the next phase.. Which at the moment consist of a small scenic  section, fiddle yard and then a depot, which hopefully will be my homage to Margam. 

No train pics today, but I'll leave you with one of my bar. "The Jolly Lobsta"

20190407_164410.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

Not a lot going on over the BH weekend, the scrap will be tripped round to the unloading point on Tuesday morning whilst the  HEA's will be attached to the Enterprise working to Margam and beyond. 

It's also been noted that EWS locos are starting to make more of an appearance, some say the splash of colour makes a nice change to the usual drab grey. 

20190420_170249.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Evening,
Just a quick update to say that the layout is still alive and well, I've even added some additional baseboards for the planned extension,

and this is where the problems start!
I have been quite happy with the arrangement of the layout, with the shunting back and forth, and the new baseboards were simply to give me a decent Fiddle yard to enable a bit more storage out of sight. However, it seems such a waste to have 12' x 2' as a FY so I wanted to make it partially scenic. Nothing cluttered, just simply the main line and dock branch line with a couple of sidings and buffer stops appearing from the said FY.

But, having spent a pleasant day at the Swanage Diesel Gala on Friday it was suggested that maybe I should complete the circuit and make it into a roundy roundy. Now I can see the benefits of this, but at the same time it would involve quite a bit of track removal on the main board to accommodate it, meaning I'll lose a few sidings and shunting opportunities.

So I'm in limbo at the moment and any modelling has come to a standstill, because every time I enter the garage I just stand there staring and thinking through ideas.

Normal service will hopefully resume soon.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s going to be difficult to make the main board a roundy without losing a siding at least. I suppose if the ‘roundy’ was freight only you could just curve off the one nearest the edge as a goods line and that doesn’t change the operation? 

I think you just need to decide if it adds anything as like you note shunting is usually your thing ;) 

I’m quite happy without roundy options at home as I like stuff going somewhere and can get the sit back and watch them go on others layouts. Maybe we need to get Ian to get his running to scratch the itch :laugh_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

it was suggested that maybe I should complete the circuit and make it into a roundy roundy. 

What have I told you about listening to Mike!?

• Funny 3

Well after my night shift and school run I accidentally popped into B&Q and purchased some wood! 

Paul we're obviously on the same wave length as my plan is to use one of the sidings nearest the edge to expand the freight only line through to the FY and back round. So won't be run as a roundy but I have the option if I want to run things in or just have something going around when im working on other stuff. 

Like you, I like the trains to have somewhere to go, like the US style of operation. 

Ian I know! I dread it when I start adding bushes etc in one colour.  

• Like 3