Did LNER green A4's ever work the streamliners?

Jammy2305

Hello!

Quick question regarding the LNER's streamlined services: 

It is well known that for the three A4 hauled streamlined services, the LNER tried to allocate dedicated locos to dedicated stock, in matching liveries, however, as one can imagine there were times when this was not practical and various loco's could be found hauling these services (be it a blue A4 on silver stock or vice-versa and in some cases, other classes altogether).

Despite this, I am not aware of any LNER green A4's having "dropped on" to one of these services. Does anyone know any better on this matter as I would be interested in running some streamlined stock with my model of No.4493 (and whilst I am aware of 'Rule 1', it would be nice to find a historic basis should it exist).

Cheers

James

I'm certainly under the belief that it was unlikely and I've never read any accounts of the nine working such services whilst painted green. I guess if they did then it would more likely be the Silver Jubilee but obviously that is just conjecture on my part...

As above, I am pretty sure that had it occurred, then at least one observer would have recorded the incident. The enthusiasts were 'all over' the LNER's streamliner operations.

What also militates against a green A4 getting on a streamliner is the location of these locos. There was huge effort in the home sheds of the A4s (KX, Gateshead, Heaton, Haymarket) to get the right locos on, they were new, and the reliability in service good. Thus when an A4 on a streamliner failed, it was almost certainly going to be away from those sheds with an A4 allocation. So when an A4 had to come off no other A4 of any paint scheme would be likely to be nearby, and the most suitable power available would go on, A1/A3/V2/Atlantics various; such events were recorded, and some photographed.

It's interesting to note the history that Hornby provides for 4493:

"4493 entered traffic on 26th July 1937, allocated to Gateshead, where for six months the locomotive was used on mundane duties, unless an engine failed on one of the LNER 'glamour' trains."

I'm guessing this is either a general statement or they know something we don't? Equally I also appreciate that could apply to any of the LNER's named services!

Anyway, thank you both for the help!