Track Plan Advice- WW1 009

Hi all.

I have been planning something to put my Bachmann Baldwin on. Having secured a good value pack of 009 track and points from EBay I have been trialling the idea I had for a small ish layout that will likely go out on the exhibition circuit.

It will be subject to my unique presentation style, but that doesn’t change the basic requirements. It can be up to 6 ft long in total, the viewed area is about 36” by 24” and I envisage a basic three road traverser hidden behind on a 12” extension, with two 1ft extensions on the side of the main board to take some of the curve, giving me a 6x2 total set up, not sure how best to divide it up.

Here’s a picture of the 3ft scenic section mock up.

post-9516-0-30072500-1537449127_thumb.jpeg

I am looking for the front main track to be part of a continuous loop, the standard gauge section will be worked by “flying fiddle yards” over the NG line on short cassettes, as I am planning only 0-6-0 and a few wagons on there, possibly the Hattons ROD special edition.

The continuous loop will mean I can solo operate without getting in a mess, I envisage a maximum of 3 NG formations, a Baldwin, Hunslet and a Kerr Stuart providing motive power on 3 wagon long trains.

That leaves the following questions-

What to put in the area marked “?”

How to get the radii right for the curves so stock can go round reliably, will I need to use a longer main board?

If so would a simple 5ft or 6ft by 2ft work and allow me to go 2nd radius or slightly tighter with the track set back from the board edge at the front?

All advice welcome. The siding connections are both ways to allow setting back by trains running in both directions on the single line. If that’s not going to be prototypical, all I have read says 1 engine in the line, direction immaterial, visual separation if travelling the same direction was the norm, should I just have a double trailing connection? Less visually interesting that way.

Edited by devondynosoar118

Hi,

How about a machine gun emplacement with sand bags and troops manning it. Or a horse drawn artillery piece with associated troops etc. For marching troops Airfix used to do some nice WW1 British Infantry. I am sure they had some marching troops with their guns over the shoulder. For the artillery Airfix also did a complete set of WW1 British artillery.

You could buy something like this which would give you all the troops you could want plus 2 WW1 British tanks. You could butcher up the baseboard that come with it for some of your scenery.

http://www.toysoldiersdepot.com/store.php/thedustyloft/pd3116872/airfix_172nd_wwi_western_front_playset_diorama_set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-1-76-SCALE-A50060-WWI-WESTERN-FRONT-BATTLEFIELD-DIORAMA-SET-UNUSED/401601824105?hash=item5d81558569:g:BfYAAOSwWTJbop3G

and here is the artillery,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airfix-A01731-Royal-Horse-Artillery/dp/B00169PRXE

Edited by cypherman

That has prompted me to fill the empty space, thank you.

I have decided on some British “Archie” in the form of an AA detachment, protecting the road and the railways from enemy aircraft. That will give me some options for vehicles, including the AA truck, and a few bigger QF guns, plus ancillary kit and servicemen.

Anyone got an answer to the sidings conundrum?

The fiddle yard will do that, I can’t fit three points in the scenic length and have 2nd radius curves, or the board join ends up on the curve. Sidings tended to be simple spurs on all the pictures and plans I have seen. Not seen how they laid out loops or wether they just put one train away in a simple siding then let the other pass.

AA was used to protect supply dumps, not always successfully, from air attack. Destroying facilities beyond the reach of artillery was a prime objective of both air forces, especially in 1917 when the British and Canadian narrow gauge lines were at their height. Most depots were kept large, to minimise transshipment.

The other option would be a forward dressing station, or maybe a rest area.

The Germans managed to bomb several major yards, including sidings full of ammunition, many of which were well behind the front line.

One raid in 1916 hit Audruicq, a major RE base near St Omer.

I have a dual lighting rig planned, with the Kerr Stuart and a Simplex doing afternoon turns, then lighting shifting to evening when the steam engines were starting to set up their supply drops after sunset, with a “moon” type lighting for the steam trains to run under.

My main aim right now is to get the track layout right, so it’s as close to operationally correct as I can get it, then I can alter details of the back drop. I think the levels will work with the river at the lowest point, rising to the embankment.

Edited by devondynosoar118

The fiddle yard will do that, I can’t fit three points in the scenic length and have 2nd radius curves, or the board join ends up on the curve. Sidings tended to be simple spurs on all the pictures and plans I have seen. Not seen how they laid out loops or wether they just put one train away in a simple siding then let the other pass.

As the track was temporary, I should imagine it was much easier to lay simple sidings than trying to match up rail ends to lay a passing loop. The crew would only have one point to deal with as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am working on a WWI model railway layout which is both 00 and 009 on a 5ft x 3ft board (exhibition). I started in July. I am new to model railways but experienced at researching WWI and have been over many, many times. There are some good books on narrow gauge railways on the Western Front that have plans for each sector. The trench maps also show where the railway lines were (usually) but not always fully up to date. I am basing my layout in a particular place and at a particular time. The Americans managed the narrow gauge in my area.

• Like 1