Can someone explain to me how Hornby's TTS sound works please and will this work on analog DC not DCC?

TIA Tony

TTS is DCC enabled sound, just like any other sound fitted loco, it is primarily designed to run with DCC, although the motor and limited sound functions may work with DC.

HOWEVER Hornby TCC sound does not have any sounds on DC, only DCC. It will move on DC

A quick search of this very forum turns up this identical question, answered.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112985-tts-sound/

Edited by devondynosoar118

Hornby TTS is just 2 channels/tracks, one for the basic soundtrack and one for any chosen sounds (via function keys), hence the name Twin Track Sound. This means of course only one additional sound can be playing at any time, whereas most sound decoders are I believe either 8 or 16 channel. This difference is why they are cheaper to produce and thus to buy. Well, that’s my understanding anyway.

Izzy

I have 2 TTS fitted models, the VTEC HST power cars, and the recently released IC Swallow livery HST power cars. (technically that's 4 TTS fitted models I suppose!!).

The VTEC pair work as detailed in the supplied paperwork, on both DCC (movement, lights, sound) and DC (movement, lights).

The IC Swallow pair work as expected on DCC, but not on DC (no movement or lights), despite the supplied paperwork saying they would work like the previous release.

My local model shop tested another 3 sets to make sure mine wasn't an isolated incident, none worked on DC.

A phonecall to the Hornby service department didn't help, as the answer was "nobody buys TTS fitted models to run on DC" !!

My investigations found that making CV29=6, makes the IC power cars operate the same way as the VTEC pair on DCC and DC.

The paperwork in the box clearly states that CV29 is factory set to 6, but this also appears to be incorrect !!

Luckily I have easy access to both DC and DCC controlled layouts. These power cars were bought mainly to run on DC (I specifically wanted the livery, the fact they are TTS fitted wasn't a deciding factor either way, just to prove Hornby's previous statement wrong !!) but if anyone buys them to run on DC only, and doesn't have access to a DCC controller to make the CV change, they will be disappointed !!

Cheers,

Phil.

The only reason I don't like TTS is the limit of only two sound channels playable at the same time (e.g. primer mover engine noise and whistle/horn).  During certain driving operations I would frequently have engine sound, flange squeal (or rail clank), horn and brake hiss sounds playing simultaneously.  Not possible with TTS.

If you only have DC, the quality of the sound and features are irrelevant because you won’t be able to use them. Some of ‘premium’ sound decoders work on DC only but only for engine sounds, you won’t be able to use the horns etc. For me I don’t really see the point of spending all that money when you can’t use it properly. Richard

The only reason I don't like TTS is the limit of only two sound channels playable at the same time (e.g. primer mover engine noise and whistle/horn).  During certain driving operations I would frequently have engine sound, flange squeal (or rail clank), horn and brake hiss sounds playing simultaneously.  Not possible with TTS.

Hi,

Doesn't Hornby TTS fail to sync the sound with the speed of the loco?.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Doesn't Hornby TTS fail to sync the sound with the speed of the loco?.

Regards

Nick

Diesels are perfectly acceptable steam is not 100 % perfect but these chips are under 40 notes and it depends how fussy you want to get. I would always advise if you want true fidelity you will need to spend almost three times as much on a Zimo or loksound and then for that money you should expect it to be perfect. But if you just want to enjoy playing trains then tts is great.

I have 6 steam tts chips I have either bought prefitted to locos or fitted myself and have no qualms about buying more.

Chris

• Like 1

Yes, I use TTS also and find the generic sounds good for what I want at the price.  Has anyone done a table of the different decoders against what other engine types they could be used for e.g.  "2 cylinder sound with LMS whistle" etc?  I reckon there's a host of applications we could use the TTS decoders for in addition to the nominated Hornby vehicle.

dave

Yes, I use TTS also and find the generic sounds good for what I want at the price.  Has anyone done a table of the different decoders against what other engine types they could be used for e.g.  "2 cylinder sound with LMS whistle" etc?  I reckon there's a host of applications we could use the TTS decoders for in addition to the nominated Hornby vehicle.

dave

Agreed. Could the Merchant Navy be used in a Light Pacific? Could the Class 47 be used in a 25?

why on earth would anyone buy a TTS loco to run on DC only

Maybe because they want a specific livery, and the model is only available with TTS.

Or they have access to both modes of operation.

Or they operate on DC now but are thinking of going DCC in the future.

Or the extra cost of TTS isn't off-putting.........

Cheers,

Phil.

I have just fitted a Merchant Navy TTS to a Bulleid light pacific. Speaker fitted into speaker housing in the tender of a recent model. However the wires to the 6 pin socket pass through this speaker openings so that had to be rewired first. 

There is no baffle box fitted as the supplied one will not fit easily in the tender but the sounds aren't bad at all for such a decoder costing £40. I even had to lower the volume as its quite loud at the default levels. Its only run on the rolling road so far but hopefully will get a run on my oval test track.

I have just fitted a Merchant Navy TTS to a Bulleid light pacific. Speaker fitted into speaker housing in the tender of a recent model. However the wires to the 6 pin socket pass through this speaker openings so that had to be rewired first. 

There is no baffle box fitted as the supplied one will not fit easily in the tender but the sounds aren't bad at all for such a decoder costing £40. I even had to lower the volume as its quite loud at the default levels. Its only run on the rolling road so far but hopefully will get a run on my oval test track.

Yup, My MN TTS decoder is in a BoB and it works fine and sounds good enough for what I want.

dave