My 3-D printed buildings

This is inspiring and one of the things I would like to do with my CR-10 Mini. Can I ask a few questions, please?

I assume you are drawing up the models yourself, what programme are you using to draw them but most importantly how are you getting the surface textures? the first items I want to print are tunnel mouths - there aren't any decent ones available in H0e, but I need to be able to place dressed edging stones and rough-cut stone for the rest of the faces and retaining walls.

I am fairly new to 3d printing but am getting the concepts and am eager for advice from undoubted experts such as yourself! 

All of these designs were done with Autodesk Inventor Pro.  No other drafting programs.  The texture is a big problem.  You can download the STL files from charles.dollins.org/buildings/ and look at them in the stl viewer program to see how they are done.  But I have to say that every slicer and every printer will give you different results as far as texture is concerned.  I am sorry I took so long to reply to this.  I am trying to get more people to do this type of stuff and so post on different forums.  I have developed a texture based on the Versailles pattern for stone work  It is cut stone, repetitive, but without continuous mortar lines.  They will not let me post it.

All of these designs were done with Autodesk Inventor Pro.  No other drafting programs.  The texture is a big problem.  You can download the STL files from charles.dollins.org/buildings/ and look at them in the stl viewer program to see how they are done.  But I have to say that every slicer and every printer will give you different results as far as texture is concerned.  I am sorry I took so long to reply to this.  I am trying to get more people to do this type of stuff and so post on different forums.  I have developed a texture based on the Versailles pattern for stone work  It is cut stone, repetitive, but without continuous mortar lines.  They will not let me post it.

They?

I am not sure but I think I tried to attach an STL file and could not do it.  As we have just seen it is difficult to keep malware out.  One way to do that is to keep exe files out.  There may be other file types that can cause difficulty.  I just don't know.  The "they" above is whoever wrote the code for this site.  I don't know them and I do not know how to write that code.

Hi Charles,

I am glad to see that you have found a way of sharing stl files.  It does appear that you can't attach them here which is a shame.  It is very refreshing to see someone making files freely available and I have down loaded a couple of them to have a look at.  I want a building similar to your shoe store and it might be a better place to start with your design than start from scratch.

I have recently drawn up and printed a beam engine to put inside the bottom of my water tower.  I do try to light up the interior of buildings on my layout, but there is little point if there is nothing to look at inside.  My local model railway club (Kings Lynn) have asked me to print a second one for their exhibition layout.  My view is, I have the model that I want, I invested the time for my own needs, if others want a copy of the files they are welcome to them. 

Thanks for posting these,

Regards,  Chris

Please go to the url    charles.dollins.org/buildings/    You can download the STL files for all of the buildings.  There are no instructions but I posted photos of all sides of the building so the various pieces should be identifiable.   If anyone has a building that they want the STL files for and it looks interesting to me I might be willing to produce the STL files for it  Another slight problem is the joints at the corners of the buildings.  Some of them require the sanding or filing a 45 degree edge.  This is not difficult in ABS but is in PLA because of the increased hardness of PLS it is difficult.  Since I now only print in PLA I am now incorporating the correct angle for the joints.

Charles

This is extremely kind of you, I also use PLA as it is easier to print but I may get some ABS to try on your files.

Can I ask how you draw up the STL files? What software are you using to created them?

Many thanks

Iain

The half timber was about half 123Design and Inventor Pro both from Autodesk.  All the rest are done using Inventor Pro.  All of my prints are thin (1 mm) so warping can be a problem.  ABS warps and PLA does not.  They both glue well with MEK.  Printing a 45 degree bevel on the bottom of ABS produces warping.  Much less so with PLA.  PLA is impossible to cut with a knife so I use a Dremel.

• 3 weeks later...