Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2019 at 05:34, TrevorP1 said:

High summer, especially on the western, is a cliche for a model railway I know but his model is all about my childhood and our continued love of Cornwall so any critics on that score can look elsewhere! :) 

On 05/04/2019 at 07:24, St Enodoc said:

Couldn't have put that better Trevor. I might borrow it and use it myself!

Not only will I borrow your evocative thought but it has also inspired me to complete a haiku that I've been toying with for a while. It will of course appear on my own thread but you have the privilege (?) of reading it first:

The Mid-Cornwall Lines:

Sandy beaches, sunny skies -

Summer in the West.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Not only will I borrow your evocative thought but it has also inspired me to complete a haiku that I've been toying with for a while. It will of course appear on my own thread but you have the privilege (?) of reading it first:

The Mid-Cornwall Lines:

Sandy beaches, sunny skies -

Summer in the West.

Sounds good to me John! It was always sunny wasn’t it? :) 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Well, if it wasn't sunny on the south coast it was on the north, and vice versa.

• RMweb Premium

I assume that you’ve heard the local saying, that we also get sunshine in liquid form down here!

Edited by Chamby
Let me know if you need any more photographs, I only live about fifteen minutes drive from the old Grampound Road station.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

>>>> Edited 23 minutes ago by Chamby 
Let me know if you need any more photographs, I only live about fifteen minutes drive from the old Grampound Road station.<<<<<

Thank you. I’ll bear that in mind. I’m hoping that one day I’ll come across a picture of the old goods yard but I won’t hold my breath! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chamby said:

I assume that you’ve heard the local saying, that we also get sunshine in liquid form down here!

Of course Phil - previous post refers!

We used to stay at Charlestown. If it was sunny when we got up, we would go to one of our favourite south coast beaches - Polkerris, Portholland or Pendower. If it was dull/damp/misty, Dad would drive us north to Trevone, Daymer Bay or Trebarwith Strand. It seemed to work every time although in reality it probably didn't.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Actually a bit misty at the moment, in Sennen Cove,.....but it is only April.

Edited by RobJC
Sun came out as I typed!
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having got a little greenery on the layout thoughts led me to consider the future need for foliage and, in particular, trees. To give me some ideas I purchased a white birch from The Model Tree Shop. Excellent though it is I really want to make my own and in any case the cost is prohibitive for the number I need.

I was discussing this with Carol last evening and she said she’d love to try making some. This morning I was woken at 5:30am by the good lady looking at ‘how to’ clips on YouTube! :) I’ve just ordered Gordon Gravett’s  book and a large amount of florists wire...

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With various relatives coming to stay over the last couple of weeks plus a long weekend near Porthmadog, work on the railway has slowed considerably. However, I did say 'slowed' and I managed to grab some time to do an hour now and then. At the end of the week I managed to get the down sidings started so I couldn't resist posing this shot. The Warship started life as a KMRC Sprightly but has had the yellow panels, eyebrows and overhead warning signs removed. It is now become D833 Panther. The cattle wagons are the start of my broccoli special. The Hornby SR ones are straight out of the box but there is a Coopercraft GW item and Airfix BR one on a Parkside chassis plus 3 Oxford Rail ones with the wheelbase corrected to 10 feet. More are 'in the works' but at the moment the layout has first call on time available for modelling. Just in front of the GW is a non working catch point cobbled up out of Peco and C&W bits.

IMG_5339.jpeg.c8ccebcc88e080208cc56217bc1946d4.jpeg

I must include a photo of Carol's tree work. They are done using florists wire and she just managed to start using the florist tape on the trunks before everything came to a halt. She is determined to get on this week and keeps reminding me that some 'bark mix' is required soon... Apart from some Airfix aircraft as a child Carol has no modelling experience whatsoever and I really am proud of how she's taken to this.

IMG_5405.jpeg.24b47fca1fb6206ea0f867aa07f7c74f.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I've just posted in the discussion on the Peco Bullhead pointwork concerning shorting through the crossing. Various posters - including myself - have experienced problems with (mainly) Hornby locos. However this morning I found an issue with a new Toad.

The wheels were nowhere near 14.5mm back to back so I eased these out and still random shorts occurred. I happened to have some Gibson spoked wheels ready for a kit, so I popped these in and problem solved. Whichever route and coupled to whatever, 100% success. Looking closer at the backs of the Hornby wheels with the internal straight edges of a vernier they have a very slight convex profile making a mockery of any attempt at correct back to back measurement.

Interestingly the current SR cattle wagon, of which I have several, doesn't have a problem although I haven't looked at the profile of the back of the wheel.

I'm currently thinking do I want to go to the time/trouble/risk of damage in modifying already laid pointwork for the sake of, what appears to be, one manufacturer's dodgy standards? The Hornby Grange chassis isn't very bright in the first place so although I have 3 I could over time probably find/build suitable replacements. My long term 10XX County project needs a chassis anyway. For the rest of my planned needs I can avoid Hornby locos altogether.

Never mind all this. Good progress is being made although I am now distracted by running 'test' trains!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to put in some productive time on the railway this week. With several yards of track dealt with I can now run trains on the complete down side, albeit with several sets of points 'clipped and padlocked' out of use! 

I've decided to use conventional point motors on the lifting flap as I have found the Cobalt surface mounted types very sensitive to alignment, neither would it take a lot to dislodge the connection between motor and tie bar. I think an unintended jolt or two would cause havoc. The photo is of 'normal cobalt' with a right angle drive attached. In the 'off stage' areas I am determined to keep all components likely to need maintenance or adjustment above the baseboard.  The motor was temporarily connected for testing but awaits the arrival of the permanent 'auxiliaries' feed.

Like others on this forum I like DCC Concepts products but find their over-verbose instructions confusing. I thought I knew how to wire a point motor but by the time I read the instructions I doubted myself. It took a spotty youth on a YouTube video to convince me that I was right in the first place!

IMG_5410.jpeg.89dbe23b030c6af601f96960807b2f48.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for the quality but I thought a quick movie would illustrate the results of the last few days work. Up and down lines operational and extensive testing taking place! 

The learning curve remains vertical with all five rocket motors on full burn - and the things I’ve learned about various manufacturer’s wheel and coupling standards (or lack of them...) would, as my Dad used to say, make a parson swear...

A lot of loose ends to tidy up now. Then I’ll get on with installing point motors and completing the fiddle yard. By then hopefully I’ll be happy enough to start ballasting etc.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been good few days since the last update but I've not been idle - far from it, but "I've just checked the back to backs on another coach" or "here is another 50 feet of spaghetti  wiring" doesn't make very interesting reading - or writing for that matter. When I stand back though, visible progress has been made. These two photos should give an idea.

The first is taken from the road overbridge next to where the platform ends will be. Corndean Hall is heading for Burngullow with the 4:40pm Fridays only Penzance to Manchester relief  - or at least the makings of! As can be seen, the first of Carol's trees are temporarily located. I have 'ordered'  :) some of diminishing height for the left hand side to help with the false perspective and disguise where the field joins backscene. There will also be some in half relief behind the Toad and a good few in the copse on the right.

As far as the trains go I'm in the course of putting together a short - say 6 trains - sequence so that I can show railway minded visitors what is going on. The fiddle yard is looking nicely full but I still need to get the cassette area finished and I keep relaying odd bits when I find a better way...

IMG_5507.jpeg.12188a96a65609b2dee93d9c73964c9c.jpeg

Another view of the Hall disappearing under the Trenowth bridge but more importantly a closer view of Carol's trees. These particular ones hopefully give an impression of Hawthorn trees. We had trouble finding foliage material that satisfied us colour wise however and we are still far from sure. It's very early days though. She is quite critical of herself but the smile on her face when I put them in position was wonderful to see.

IMG_5503.jpeg.821a51c1dcb6b99ca207040a89927f26.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

It's been good few days since the last update but I've not been idle - far from it, but "I've just checked the back to backs on another coach" or "here is another 50 feet of spaghetti  wiring" doesn't make very interesting reading - or writing for that matter. When I stand back though, visible progress has been made. These two photos should give an idea.

The first is taken from the road overbridge next to where the platform ends will be. Corndean Hall is heading for Burngullow with the 4:40pm Fridays only Penzance to Manchester relief  - or at least the makings of! As can be seen, the first of Carol's trees are temporarily located. I have 'ordered'  :) some of diminishing height for the left hand side to help with the false perspective and disguise where the field joins backscene. There will also be some in half relief behind the Toad and a good few in the copse on the right.

As far as the trains go I'm in the course of putting together a short - say 6 trains - sequence so that I can show railway minded visitors what is going on. The fiddle yard is looking nicely full but I still need to get the cassette area finished and I keep relaying odd bits when I find a better way...

IMG_5507.jpeg.12188a96a65609b2dee93d9c73964c9c.jpeg

Another view of the Hall disappearing under the Trenowth bridge but more importantly a closer view of Carol's trees. These particular ones hopefully give an impression of Hawthorn trees. We had trouble finding foliage material that satisfied us colour wise however and we are still far from sure. It's very early days though. She is quite critical of herself but the smile on her face when I put them in position was wonderful to see.

IMG_5503.jpeg.821a51c1dcb6b99ca207040a89927f26.jpeg

Lovely stuff Trevor. Isn't it a great feeling when you can run a "real" train on the layout?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Lovely stuff Trevor. Isn't it a great feeling when you can run a "real" train on the layout?

It is indeed John. Also gives some focus as to which locos and stock to focus on.

• Agree 1

On 31/05/2019 at 13:05, TrevorP1 said:

It is indeed John. Also gives some focus as to which locos and stock to focus on.

That's an excellent point. I've only just begun hand-pushing stock around on my build and already questions are coming up as to exactly what I should hand push. And gradient testing, this is turning out to be more of a process about what will be hauled up the grades rather than what will be hauling it.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

That's an excellent point. I've only just begun hand-pushing stock around on my build and already questions are coming up as to exactly what I should hand push. And gradient testing, this is turning out to be more of a process about what will be hauled up the grades rather than what will be hauling it.

I've spent quite some time on this and at times it drove me mad but I'm glad I stuck at it. I don't know the origin of your stock but I've learned that anything which began life in a 'red box' is trouble until proven otherwise. Nevertheless the frustration has been worth it and I now have seven sets of stock, in prototype formations, that are reliable runners.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A little burst of energy at the weekend saw me complete the electrical work on the lifting flap. For better or worse I decided that this area should have it's own switches and they are housed in an enclosure from Radio Spares. These three control the crossover and the two turnouts off the up and down main. The LEDs show green for the main route and red otherwise. As the pointwork is right next to the switch even I can't get it wrong!

IMG_5519.jpg.fea04c0e35c971f39ce9666e45c9f07d.jpg1793360780_qEBUYvqXQtnth4iwrdJWA_thumb_73fa.jpg.519be0eeeed751f2bb44c7518e29655f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

. . .  Radio Spares. 

Giving your age away there!  Do our younger readers need a translation? :biggrin_mini2:

Good move putting the controls on the flap - fewer wires to get stressed by frequent lifting.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Giving your age away there!  Do our younger readers need a translation? :biggrin_mini2:

Good move putting the controls on the flap - fewer wires to get stressed by frequent lifting.

Paul.

So are you Paul! And so am I...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having pretty much got the lifting flap to a sensible state attention has turned to the other end of the hidden sidings. I drew the plan on the computer and backed up with templates but as someone else on RM Web said this week, (sorry I can't remember who you were!) when you lay the track you see things differently. The PW gang have therefore been out on the up side of the fiddle yard. Result, one loop very much longer and by dint of reducing track centres another siding has been installed as well. Ultimately there is scope for the siding to become a loop. The cost has been using two of Mr Peco's 'medium radius' points but this has not caused any problem. 

Having got everything back in it's rightful place my eyes then fell on the down side. Room for improvement here methinks...

I'm also gradually getting point motors installed so when I've stopped changing my mind I must get on with a control panel. Remembering which pieces of wire to touch together in order to set the road is getting a bit tedious!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'll be glad when I've had enough of the fiddle yard! A bit more work over the last few days mainly centred on access to the cassette area which is where the reverse curve in the foreground leads. Stock here will be hand shunted and the track is electrically dead so the proximity of the turnout drive under the track won't be a problem.

I've gone over to normal Cobalts for future work as I've found the SS types too tricky to set up in many locations. I'm sure they are fine with good access but reaching across 2 feet of baseboard whilst standing on a small step is not conducive to the accurate setting up they need.

We popped into Chester today and I came back with some balsa. Platform wall building may commence soon! 

I've also been spending more serious money too, having ordered 1626 from Model Rail. Although St Blazey had three I've never seen a photo of one anywhere west of Burngullow Junction but there was Truro - St Blazey class K freight in the timetable so.....

2051134351_b2K2JnwGRx2p8R15ogkSw_thumb_7401.jpg.9cb3c73084630bfbf99ddb9d0ec890ab.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With summer (we’ll what passes for it) activities beginning to take over and having had my fill for the moment of trackwork and wiring, in spare moments I’m seeing what I can do for some milk tanks. There’s something satisfying about using RTR as raw material and these victims are the Hornby version. As far as I can see they are ‘generic’ and for the foreseeable future I’ll have to be satisfied with that.

Work so far has been on filling the join line in the tank barrels. I’m still wondering what else I can do to spruce them up a bit. I can’t make up my mind about trying to replace the wibbly wobbly diagonal support bars. Maybe mods to the tank cradles on at least one? Certainly some decent wheels and also some etched plates from Rumney Models. ‘Livery’ will be totally filthy as per period photos.

8356DE82-FABD-45D1-87FC-5D88A9FAB397.jpeg.8deb6153e9debad3ea02d2c80f4e6755.jpeg

• Like 2