Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium

The Carriage  and Wagon Department has been in action over the last couple of days. Firstly finishing off the part built Ratio SR bogie van I bought at Warley before moving on to the TPO vehicle I started a while back.

I’d like to run a representation of the Great Western TPO but building the lot from brass kits - even if they are available - is a non starter on the cost and time fronts. So I’m resorting to hack jobs on the Hornby (LMS?) based version.

Having scoured eBay for cheap ones - the best was a bogieless one for £2 - I started on a representation of an L21.  Purists look away now - I know about the differences!

F5F72F3B-C9F3-4206-AAA9-63DF9C4A013F.jpeg.61b0b9713c82727dd57ad46d8a32f98c.jpeg

Mods include removal of roof ribs, fitting cast vents, building a collector net area (nets have been obtained from

Stevenson Carriages) , Comet bogies etc. 

It’s a “when the mood takes me” job but I think I’ll finish this one first to prove, or otherwise, to myself that it’s worth it and then do some more as a batch.

I’ve scoured the interweb and bookshops for information and I’ve got enough to go on but it’s surprising how little information there is about such an important train.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Another challenge has just arrived! Part of the ‘stash’ from WM Collectables. It includes the most amazingly comprehensive history and instruction sheet. 

A02540EA-8A90-4D5A-946C-7332FD9B864D.jpeg.4784fed44e73d9a0824dbd9bb7b2c64d.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Another challenge has just arrived! Part of the ‘stash’ from WM Collectables. It includes the most amazingly comprehensive history and instruction sheet. 

David Geen took this range on but are no longer available.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

David Geen took this range on but are no longer available.

Andrew still has 4 left at the moment. They aren't cheap but no more than some of the recent RTR wagons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I must be getting into Cornish habits because I've been saying to myself "I must post an update dreckly," for some days now.

Railway time on a good few of the last ten days has been devoted to ballasting, which is 90% complete except in places I will intentionally leave for point rodding etc (except where I forgot...). 

Other activities have included hacking two Hornby TPOs, plus sundry other bits into something like a diagram L23 TPO stowage brake. It looks hopeful at the moment and I'll post a photo when I'm confident it will be a success. This is very much an 'as and when' project and an ideal foil to the ballasting. It won't be perfect but as I've just read (about a different topic) on Tony Wright's thread, it will be better than the one I haven't got.

I've also spent a while playing trains and working up a short sequence. As mentioned I shall go down the 'representative trains' route. There are ten trains in the present sequence and eventually I'm planning on expanding that to perhaps 20 - 30 divided into (say) three parts. I'll see how it goes but I envisage running each part of the sequence till I get bored, then change stock etc and move onto the next. I've identified  vehicles that will need building and high on this list are full brakes and more china clay wagons plus finishing the H57 diner. Some more steam locos wouldn't go amiss and I have a Grange that needs an identity change plus the Bachmann Modified Hall which needs the Brassmasters parts fitting.

Lots to do! :) 

Oh nearly forgot.! Our Cornish holiday is looking 50/50 for this year so these arrived the other day to cheer us up! They are from South Coast Bakeries in Polperro. Not quite like sitting on the harbour at Mevagissy or Falmouth but tasty nonetheless.

236627E2-482D-4AA9-9C90-13DD1D8D74E0.jpeg.9b00dbb9bddc2e0de5bfb87ce61d4008.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I must be getting into Cornish habits because I've been saying to myself "I must post an update dreckly," for some days now.

Railway time on a good few of the last ten days has been devoted to ballasting, which is 90% complete except in places I will intentionally leave for point rodding etc (except where I forgot...). 

Other activities have included hacking two Hornby TPOs, plus sundry other bits into something like a diagram L23 TPO stowage brake. It looks hopeful at the moment and I'll post a photo when I'm confident it will be a success. This is very much an 'as and when' project and an ideal foil to the ballasting. It won't be perfect but as I've just read (about a different topic) on Tony Wright's thread, it will be better than the one I haven't got.

I've also spent a while playing trains and working up a short sequence. As mentioned I shall go down the 'representative trains' route. There are ten trains in the present sequence and eventually I'm planning on expanding that to perhaps 20 - 30 divided into (say) three parts. I'll see how it goes but I envisage running each part of the sequence till I get bored, then change stock etc and move onto the next. I've identified  vehicles that will need building and high on this list are full brakes and more china clay wagons plus finishing the H57 diner. Some more steam locos wouldn't go amiss and I have a Grange that needs an identity change plus the Bachmann Modified Hall which needs the Brassmasters parts fitting.

Oh nearly forgot.! Our Cornish holiday is looking 50/50 for this year so these arrived the other day to cheer us up! They are from South Coast Bakeries in Polperro. Not quite like sitting on the harbour at Mevagissy or Falmouth but tasty nonetheless.

You've eaten one already!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/05/2020 at 19:26, TrevorP1 said:

The pasty shops are still closed in Meva but if you want another taste of Cornwall, ‘Phil the Fish’ can send you a delivery of freshly caught seafood landed in the village.  His wife Kim runs the harbourside wet fish kiosk, and Phil does home deliveries and mail order.  www.mevagisseywetfish.co.uk.  The monkfish and lemon sole we had this week were superb...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chamby said:

The pasty shops are still closed in Meva but if you want another taste of Cornwall, ‘Phil the Fish’ can send you a delivery of freshly caught seafood landed in the village.  His wife Kim runs the harbourside wet fish kiosk, and Phil does home deliveries and mail order.  www.mevagisseywetfish.co.uk.  The monkfish and lemon sole we had this week were superb...

Thanks Phil. We may well give them a try.

I hope you've not been affected by the displays of selfishness we've seen in the news recently. Beggars belief...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I hope you've not been affected by the displays of selfishness we've seen in the news recently. Beggars belief...

There are quite a few ‘second homies’ around and a few day trippers but not enough to cause us problems so far, thanks for asking.  I think we’re far enough off the end of the M5 to avoid the worst of what has been happening elsewhere re: daytrippers.  It’s been relatively quiet virus-wise down here, but I understand that several visitors are among those being treated for Covid in the local hospital.

It’s the upcoming end of lockdown restrictions that is the biggest concern.  Lockdown has been effective down here... but it leaves us vulnerable later on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Chamby said:

I remember a day trip fishing from Mevagissey on one of our holidays, about 1966 or 67. Delicious mackerel. Mrs Thomas at the Pier House Hotel in Charlestown would also cook up any pollack we caught from the piers there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surprisingly we still have a good supply of the pasties left but I've been making inroads into my lockdown kit stash. Before anyone collapses in horror I do know the POWsides 'West of England' vehicle is well out of period but my plan is to heavily 'age' one side whilst keeping the normally non-veiwing side as is. The rest of the train is a mixture of Ratio BR, Parkside ex GW and Cambrian RCH vehicles. Two of the BR vehcles have been fitted with RCH axleboxes and the GW ones all have Morton brake levers. One of the RCH examples has grease axleboxes as seen in a few mid 50s photos.

IMG_6319.jpeg.d1a5433f604b72bb0e8f9bcd2c088d51.jpeg

The crop below - taken in 1955 at Rewtew -  shows a pair of very ancient wagons similar to the PWOsides/Slaters example. I believe the one on the right may have belonged to Hannah Samuel but I can't make out anything on the other. Some examples of variation to stop the builder getting bored!

RCR6403-(ZF-10448-58287-1-001).jpeg.dd870dc5a86cbb7d04d50a86b0fb9775.jpeg

TPO production has continued also and I've done a bit more bodging on the next vehicle, the 50' stowage brake. Not exact as mentioned before but at least will be 'something like' and at reasonable cost. Two Hornby TPOs, and an old damaged Mainline BCK died to produce this. The roof is from a K's E116 which had unbuildable banana sides. The next job will be to very carefully cut  the roof back to the recessed section where the net is mounted. The roof  is quite weak so it has been reinforced with plenty of epoxy in critical areas. I've found an old Ratio Southern bogie van floor in the bits box - the bogie centres are exactly correct. :) 

IMG_6311.jpeg.7b58d1c81ae2cd2095d2d5e62f79e1a2.jpeg

On the subject of coaches I recently fitted this Bachmann 'sunshine' corridor 2nd with Keen gangway connection. This was very successful although it would be expensive on a full rake. While the body was off I painted the corridor walls cream to represent Holoplast(?). Quite please with this but it has brightened up the interior and shows the rest of the deficiencies  :( 

IMG_6312.jpeg.24c1a27aefbf0937884b7b10cab15400.jpeg

At about the same time I obtained some folded paper gangways from Fair Price Models on eBay. Around the £4 mark for enough to do 6 or 12 coaches dependant how close coupled the vehicles are. I'm using just one per coach on a Hawksworth set. I think they are an absolute bargain and improve appearance no end.

IMG_6313.jpeg.c3957c2572a6ca954f886d4b0e54a23b.jpeg

This has turned out to be quite a big update - I must post more often to keep it down! :) 

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Surprisingly we still have a good supply of the pasties left but I've been making inroads into my lockdown kit stash. Before anyone collapses in horror I do know the POWsides 'West of England' vehicle is well out of period but my plan is to heavily 'age' one side whilst keeping the normally non-veiwing side as is. The rest of the train is a mixture of Ratio BR, Parkside ex GW and Cambrian RCH vehicles. Two of the BR vehcles have been fitted with RCH axleboxes and the GW ones all have Morton brake levers. One of the RCH examples has grease axleboxes as seen in a few mid 50s photos.

Nice to see all the wagons the same way round Trevor!

8 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

The crop below - taken in 1955 at Rewtew -  shows a pair of very ancient wagons similar to the PWOsides/Slaters example.

Great shot of the sky tip.

9 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

At about the same time I obtained some folded paper gangways from Fair Price Models on eBay. Around the £4 mark for enough to do 6 or 12 coaches dependant how close coupled the vehicles are.

I like the look of those. Do they work with the Hornby close couplers or have you taken them off?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice to see all the wagons the same way round Trevor!

:)

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I like the look of those. Do they work with the Hornby close couplers or have you taken them off?

Yes that’s the Hornby version of the Roco but they're mounted upside down to hide them a bit.

Edited by TrevorP1
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this layout

I used to travel everyday in the early 70s from Tywardreath, near Par to RAF St.Mawgan over the Cornish Alps

Nice to see someone else using Will embossed coarse stone sheets, it's a great material to work in

768077230_Farm42.jpg.76a8460ca5eb793c07ff971eb2611a49.jpg

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I seem to be the world's worst at keeping a thread up to date! Most days I do a least a small task to keep the ball rolling but it never seems enough to post... or I might take photo of something and then forget to post it! Anyway, a bit of a moment today as my 4mm scale Peter Gray has recorded the work of the Civil Engineers on the steel road bridge. The steelwork is from an American HO kit by Walthers and the stonework is from various Wills sheets and spare kit parts. The bridge itself is unfinished but I hope to get the 'grassy bits' together in the coming days. The far side of the bridge will require some first class fudgery to blend it in but I'm hoping I can do this with a 'Street View'  photo of the real place - or maybe a 'Trevor' photo if our holiday comes off after all... (not holding my breath...!)

Possibly not immediately noticeable is that I've moved the retaining wall for the weighbridge a couple of inches to give more room for the building and the weigh bridge itself. Why I put it where I did I've no idea!

IMG_6370.jpeg.5b868b70defe251ef08fbb8e5b2554d5.jpeg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The trouble with having a layout that works is that trains get run and work on the railway stops! I’ve done a bit more on the sequence this week, a few bits of minor maintenance and introduced a new engine - so lots of ‘testing’ took place. The new loco is Laira’s last Star 4054 Princess Charlotte, seen here on the 7:45pm Kensington milk empties passing 4206 on the 1:30am Tavistock Junction class F which has been put inside for it to pass. The bus must have broken down, it’s been there for months!

616618B0-66A3-46FE-8DF4-6A59DF19A95F.jpeg.1d0bdaa14027b7659e5c5f8e70cde442.jpeg

4054 was weathered by TMC but when it arrived I dealt with the odd jobs such as coal, lamps, ‘in cab ski jump’, crew etc. plus fitting new smoke box door handles, the originals having been detached by Royal Mail. I’d never actually seen one of these models close up before it arrived. Much is made of the ‘bookcase’ on the cab sides but the first thing I noticed was the size and position of the reverser stand - such that the driver would have sit on the tender. Fortunately I had a spare correctly sized one from a Bachmann Hall so this was swopped in. Seeing the photos, the (Modelu) lamps need weathering. 

3BC2ACD5-1C91-4D08-9FDA-18E02519FE4E.jpeg.dbb899e3977c50c440fa8f7e015a02ab.jpeg

The passing view shows that not only does the fireman have time for a brew, he’s also been able to polish the regulator handle! (Muggins forgot to paint it!)

Much head scratching is going on with grass etc, so everything is a work in progress. Just trying to get a feel for materials and colours at the moment. The layout is predictably set in summer but it seems that many products sold as ‘summer’ are far too garish. I like the Woodland Scenics ground foams though - they seem to make a good representation of broad lead weeds and small bushes. 

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been having a fiddle with my scenery head on today. Progress on the up  overbridge and thoughts about the adjacent scenic break. I positioned a cardboard barn mock up at the end of the fiddle yard and from most angles the trains satisfyingly appear from behind the barn. The barn is actually over the ends of the sidings and has to be quickly removable to use a cassette but I think this is the way to go. Much better than an overbridge or tunnel in an unlikely place.

A77D002B-869E-4322-94D5-BFCA0D36115A.jpeg.1a54e841bc4c958eb327ee4549c02dab.jpeg

I also discovered another photo angle... Contortions with the phone on Selfie mode saw Roundhill Grange heading out of the up refuge siding.

A275CEFF-0F3B-479B-AE5B-472CF7945722.jpeg.24fd90602f9a11d3784de728f2bd630c.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I try not to post too many photos of items that I haven’t had at least some small personal input but I’ve got make an exception for this - even though my input was just to supply a colour photo.

Laira’s long time resident, 5175 arrived this morning from Grimey Times and to say I’m pleased is an understatement. I only noticed the various tones around the smokebox when I was taking the photo, they are that subtle. The smokebox is prototypically a slightly different shade compared to the boiler barrel. Oily motion has also been captured, something that many miss. 

All done at a very modest cost and packaged so well it would have survived an earthquake. The gods being willing there will definitely be more work going Steve’s way from me. 

3F98075D-3AF7-4CB3-86FE-13F205388D0D.jpeg.f87170275e77d7aed0e5371983823a1b.jpeg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

With various summer distractions going on there has not been a great deal of time for work on the layout - although trains have run! However, good intentions have prevailed and I’ve drawn up a list of ‘jobs to do’. This includes such items as making buffer stops for hidden sidings and finishing some odd bits of ballasting that somehow escaped. Also on the list were ground cover in front of the lanhay and getting some top coat on that H57 diner.

C3AE96AF-7DEA-4697-B8D9-3274B80091F6.jpeg.0a1b593299b1d2b0e2deedefb4941963.jpeg

5175 is a favourite at the moment and is working my version of the 06:50 Plymouth to Penzance SO which consisted of mainly Midland Region stock. The ground cover is the usual material available from the trade but includes genuine china clay and waste material from the processing thereof. In all honesty that doesn’t  make a lot of difference but it makes me feel better!

759E4B18-A194-4B3B-8354-AF86A480AFB9.jpeg.84b6ab0eca8a5591f26cf94ff613f14f.jpeg

The diner awaits lining and final details but it’s now safer on the layout than in my work room.

The rest of the list? It’s long but there’s many a slip on the road to good intentions so it will remain secret for now!

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 14

On 23/05/2020 at 17:45, St Enodoc said:

Never heard the term Meva before.  It was either Mevagiz or Gizzyloo.  But that was another time!:)

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere on this page  on Gilbert Barnatt's 'Peterborough North' thread we've been talking about Hunt Couplings from West Hill Wagon Works. I won't repeat too much of what has already been said but in case anyone interested hasn't seen that discussion, I've tried these out today. Suffice to say that I will be standardising on these from now on and retro-fitting them in suitable places. 

My aim as soon as possible is to get them on the end of all coach rakes plus the 'working end' of locomotives.

I was already using the James Train Parts bars in many areas and, as these were not cheap, will still use these in fixed rakes (along with the occasional set of Bachmann 'pipes') but the Hunts are more versatile and work out at only £1.40 or so per vehicle - or half that if you just need one, say on the back of a tender.

They are even better for those of us with eyesight past it's sell by date and could even work out as a saving if, like me, you remove your glasses about 200 times day in the railway room leaving them somewhere to get broken while you fiddle with couplings.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3