Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good choice.

Hmmmm....   Look beyond the name and history tells a very different story.  He was arguably the least popular King that England has ever had, and I’m surprised that the GWR named such a prestigious locomotive after him.  

Perhaps 70038 should join the loco fleet as well, to redress the balance!

;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chamby said:

Hmmmm....   Look beyond the name and history tells a very different story.  He was arguably the least popular King that England has ever had, and I’m surprised that the GWR named such a prestigious locomotive after him.  

Perhaps 70038 should join the loco fleet as well, to redress the balance!

;)

Agreed. Odd choice but from what little I know the Kings were named in a series 'backwards' and 6026 just took the next name in line.

It's a shame 70038 wasn't a Laira engine but then a Stratford Brit is just about as likely in Cornwall as a King. Either would have the spotters at Truro leaping about in excitement!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

As usual I've been puzzling on the unimportant, in this case what name should eventually go on the signal box? Not that I've built it yet! It's plainly not really Burngullow... so... Crugwallins? Lanjeth?  High Street even...?

Personally I'd go for Burngullow Lane!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If it's in 'Clay Country' you'll need to mist (in fact thinking about it, a thick mist would be a great scenic effect for the whole layout:jester:) everything in white and the van will need almost white wall tyres. Cheap white 'watercolour' (probably gauche) would work for the crevices. It was said before the 1990s that you could always tell if someone lived in 'Clay Country' by the state of their car:blink:.

English China Clays or whatever they were calling themselves at the time were always touchy about the dust they caused. Even on their official bus tour they wouldn't let us take pictures at Carn Point of the exact place where the powdered clay went into the ship. A large number of pictures are on Cornwall Railway Society website though.

Edited by simonmcp
More info
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Personally I'd go for Burngullow Lane!

Trewoon is another option, but for the signal box I’d favour something like Blackpool Junction.  True to the location, but not purporting to be a fully prototypical model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Trewoon is another option, but for the signal box I’d favour something like Blackpool Junction.  True to the location, but not purporting to be a fully prototypical model.

I think Trewoon is a little too far east, Phil. Tremewan would be another possibility, Burngullow being in the parish of St Mewan. I've used that name for the tunnel on the Mid-Cornwall Lines.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think Trewoon is a little too far east, Phil. Tremewan would be another possibility, Burngullow being in the parish of St Mewan. I've used that name for the tunnel on the Mid-Cornwall Lines.

IMG_4384.jpg.f3de23abc18c961bd8bfd9e09341a528.jpg

East, yes.  

Too far?   :(

Phil  

• RMweb Premium

Wow! Not been near the computer today because spring is threatening to arrive in North Wales and garden jobs are beckoning and I seem to have sparked a discussion about possible names for the derelict/disused station. Thanks all for the suggestions. 

I'd like to keep away from anything with 'Burngullow' because, to me, my scene is too far removed from the real thing. I'm happy with the thread title because Burngullow has been my inspiration. So..

• Lanjeth - I like that and the real place is quite nearby.
  • Blackpool Junction - there's a thought...
  • St Mewan - That should have occurred to me really.
  • Trewoon - that appeals. I've used the local chippy (The Wagon Wheel) there many times whilst on holiday. Though maybe if Trewoon had warranted a station it would have been further up the road. Not discounting it though, rule 1 and all that.
  • Tremewan -  A good old English Cornish compromise.

I like them all and now seem to have even more names to consider 'till I build the box! :) 

Simon mentioned the dust and that the van needed whitewall tyres. I've seen photos of panniers with whitewall tyres and I think one of mine needs to get them one day, although it will need a person with far better weathering skills than mine to carry it off.

The dust and the white river are memories from my (very) young days, in fact all I really remember. Approaching the area on the train, St Austell Bay came into view and folk would comment on the beautiful turquoise sea. I wonder how many realised it was the result of pollution. A fascinating area though. So many changes of landscape in a short distance. At Burngullow you are on the edge of the clay country. Quite literally, turn to face the other way and it's rolling farmland. 20 minutes by car and you can stand on the harbour at Mevagissey. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Chamby said:

IMG_4384.jpg.f3de23abc18c961bd8bfd9e09341a528.jpg

East, yes.  

Too far?   :(

Phil  

For me, yes - because the next location to the East after Tremewan Tunnel is Trewoon Junction, where the Tregissey branch leaves the main line!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tremewan and Trewoon would be pronounced so similar as to be hardly detectable  as being  dfferent...

It literally just struck me that the latter may have been the former "once upon  time" !!!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

36 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Tremewan and Trewoon would be pronounced so similar as to be hardly detectable  as being  dfferent...

It literally just struck me that the latter may have been the former "once upon  time" !!!

That works for me!

Who would have thought it?  intellectual etymology on RMweb on a Saturday night :O

But the M makes Tremewan a bit of a mouthful, so, people being people, you end up with Trewoon....

Same name but now with  no M to get ya tongue around....

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LBRJ said:

That works for me!

Who would have thought it?  intellectual etymology on RMweb on a Saturday night :O

But the M makes Tremewan a bit of a mouthful, so, people being people, you end up with Trewoon....

Same name but now with  no M to get ya tongue around....

It’s probably worth clarifying, for those following the thread without local knowledge, that Trewoon is pronounced locally as Troo-wun.  So it does indeed sound much like Mewan.  The literal English translation of Tremewan would be Mewan’s home/village.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Chamby said:

It’s probably worth clarifying, for those following the thread without local knowledge, that Trewoon is pronounced locally as Troo-wun.  So it does indeed sound much like Mewan.  The literal English translation of Tremewan would be Mewan’s home/village.

Ahhhh, I see. :) Having never heard a local say the name we've been saying Tre....Woon literally as it's spelt and I've always felt it was clumsy to say. Troo-wun makes much more sense and is easier to say!

I always remember Dad saying 'Fowey' to a local once, literally as it's spelt. The chap decided to have some fun with this ignorant emmet. Dad never knew the meaning of the word 'ego' and took the joke, Mum was not pleased however!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chamby said:

So not much different from Troon, near Camborne, then Phil?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

So not much different from Troon, near Camborne, then Phil?

Indeed.  

There’s a lot in the local dialect to catch out the visitor down here.  

Funniest one we’ve heard was a new store opening in Truro called White Rose.  Took me a while to work out that it was a branch of the John Lewis partnership’s supermarket!

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Ahhhh, I see. :) Having never heard a local say the name we've been saying Tre....Woon literally as it's spelt and I've always felt it was clumsy to say. Troo-wun makes much more sense and is easier to say!

I always remember Dad saying 'Fowey' to a local once, literally as it's spelt. The chap decided to have some fun with this ignorant emmet. Dad never knew the meaning of the word 'ego' and took the joke, Mum was not pleased however!

This brings to mind my time at sea when the newly joined fourth engineer, who rapidly realised I was Cornish, told me that he had spent his recent honeymoon in Cornwall at a place called Body Nick. I hadn't heard of such a place and said so, he then said that it was opposite Fo-wey and I realised he was talking about Bodinnick. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

Body Nick . . . . Bodinnick. 

Is it like other Celtic languages (at least the one across the Bristol Channel) where the emphasis is on the second syllable?  Or are there even more emmet traps?

Paul.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Is it like other Celtic languages (at least the one across the Bristol Channel) where the emphasis is on the second syllable?  Or are there even more emmet traps?

Paul.

Yep

In Cornish place names the emphasis is on the second syllable.

So Trewoon is pronounced Tru-ANN.

Talking of Fowey, I remember pub-talking with "posh" lady from Wakefield, who knew the emphasis thing...

She called Fowey, Fo-WAY... which seemed even more wrong than the more usual Fowi

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

One of the problems with the Cornish dialect, which has been dying out for quite a while, is that it varies from place to place. Pronunciation in the west, like Stithians (Stidians) near Redruth, (Re-druth not Red-ruth) where I grew up, can and does vary from that in the east. An example is Perranzabuloe, I pronounce it Perran za boo looe, but I understand that further east it is pronounced Perran zab low.

Another example is that in the west names beginning with Tre, the Tre is normally produced separately, Tre-Wdden or Tre-Leven; except where the Tre is followed by an s, for example Trescobeas is pronounced Tresco-bays.

It's all a bit of a minefield really, for instance here are some of the villages and towns I can think of quickly. Carnkie (Carn-kye), Manaccan (Man-nac-can), Lostwithel (Los-with-e-l). Another oddity, which I don't know is just found in west Cornwall, is that Porth is only pronounced as such on the end of a name, but Port at the beginning. For example Porthleven is Port-leven, but Perranporth is Perran-porth.  My parents, born 1910/11, also had the habit of pronouncing a v as double b, so Porthleven became Port-lebben.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Yep

In Cornish place names the emphasis is on the second syllable.

So Trewoon is pronounced Tru-ANN.

So... Wade - BRIDGE, I remember hearing that said.

What about Truro? I've heard, from a native speaker, what sounded like Tror - ROW (Row as in boat race not argument).

Trebah (as in the gardens near Mawnan Smith) Tree - BAH? Bah as in the way a southerner like me would say bath, ie baaath! :) 

Thanks again for the contributions. I find this fascinating. 

• Like 2

As Tankerman says the accent changes quite a lot as one moves East (or West), Cornwall is a rather long place, its about 80 miles from the Tamer to St Just!

Locals to Truro kinda pronounce it as Tru-ra or Trur-A

Treebah is as you say...

EDIT.

I haven't misspelled the name of the river, I have (subconsciously) written it as pronounced !!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Verbal shortening of the written name is common in Cornwall.  Launceston is pronounced Lanson in these parts.  St Austell is commonly pronounced S’nozzle.

And yes, even now there are still a few Cornish folk who have never ventured east of the Tamar.  When you were born in God’s own country, why would you want to go anywhere else?

It’s all part of the attraction of the place, a part of England that is still has its own strong sense of identity.  With the UK census taking place this weekend, there is quite a campaign going on, to declare yourself as Cornish when filling in your return.  I understand that it is the only part of England that has its separate national identity officially recognised.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Verbal shortening of the written name is common in Cornwall.  Launceston is pronounced Lanson in these parts.  St Austell is commonly pronounced S’nozzle.

And yes, even now there are still a few Cornish folk who have never ventured east of the Tamar.  When you were born in God’s own country, why would you want to go anywhere else?

It’s all part of the attraction of the place, a part of England that is still has its own strong sense of identity.  With the UK census taking place this weekend, there is quite a campaign going on, to declare yourself as Cornish when filling in your return.  I understand that it is the only part of England that has its separate national identity officially recognised.

Re the census, that's what I've done.:).  I have lived in the Reading area for many years because I had to make a choice when I left the merchant navy. The choice was between a very uncertain future in the ship repair yard at Falmouth and a very secure well paid future as an engineer surveyor living west of London.

I generally visit Cornwall at least twice a year and it always lifts my spirits when, heading west, I cross the Tamar at Launceston as it feels as if I'm arriving home. 

Edited by Tankerman
correcting grammar and spelling.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3