Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

A couple of things often overlooked about "local pronunciation" is that it can be, and is, often very local.

Also, if you live somewhere (whatever age) you tend to learn to say before you "spell" or read..

Cae in point, a friend of mine was coming up from Camborne, and somehow ended up on the A3058....

He rang me and I said

no worries, when you get to Tru-ann you are as good as in St Austell.....

Sometime (too much time!) later he rang back and said something like

Well old chap, you could have told me it was spelt Trewoon!!

true tale! though he used a few more words ;)

Edited by LBRJ
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Re the census, that's what I've done.:).  I have lived in the Reading area for many years because I had to make a choice when I left the merchant navy. The choice was between a very uncertain future in the ship repair yard at Falmouth and a very secure well paid future as an engineer surveyor living west of London.

I generally visit Cornwall at least twice a year and it always lifts my spirits when, heading west, I cross the Tamar at Launceston as it feels as if I'm arriving home. 

I had a friend who was born and bred in Bude but studied engineering at Camborne College. He had to leave Cornwall to find work, spending a large part of his working life at Dickson Toolposts and eventually ran the machine shop there - if you’ve ever used a British made lathe it may well have had a Dickson toolpost.

Dick suffered no fools (wasting no time in telling them so) but if you were deemed worthy you had a wonderful friend. Sadly he is no longer with us but among the places I heard him mention was indeed Launceston, pronounced Lanson. He made sure everyone knew where he came from and without doubt he would have written Cornish in the census. Every St Piran’s day the Cornish flag flew over his house.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 07:15, LBRJ said:

She called Fowey, Fo-WAY... which seemed even more wrong than the more usual Fowi

Flashbacks to an emmet asking my dad for directions to the "Fowi Fairy", which it turned out is apparently Scouse for "Fowey Ferry".

Once the gears had turned and the penny had dropped, "tiz over yonder" (with a pointed finger) "also eez pronounced Foy me 'ansum".

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 21/03/2021 at 14:31, LBRJ said:

no worries, when you get to Tru-ann you are as good as in St Austell.....

Sometime (too much time!) later he rang back and said something like

Well old chap, you could have told me it was spelt Trewoon!!

true tale! though he used a few more words ;)

As a child,  I sat on my maternal grandmothers knee and she told me tales of old Sentassle but by that time my mother who was born and raised in St Austell, had instilled Trewoon into my limited vocabulary, so that took care of any local reference as in Tru-ann.

Brian.:)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ribird said:

My does that GWR County look really good! You did a very good job at it! Basically looks like an RTR Bachmann model! 

Thank you. There are some photos of the work on page 6 of this thread. The body is the Hornby version with an 8f firebox grafted in (just as the folks at Didcot are doing!) and some mods to make the cab look a bit better. Injectors, odd fittings and chimney are Gibson. The tender is from a Hornby Castle, cut in half lengthwise with 2mm grafted in - not as hard as it sounds! I use cut down Fox smokebox numberplate transfers which to me look right. Little of this is original, I know others on RMWeb have done similar things.

The chassis is from a Bachmann Modified Hall. The wheels are 1mm too small but I tell myself that 1006 is due for a new set of tyres! The fit is a bit dubious around the cylinders and I have looked at altering it but I fear I'd do more harm than good, so enough is enough.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/05/2021 at 11:47, Rhysb said:

Trevor,

China clay dry envy here! that looks fantastic!

Thanks

Rhys

You've got a pretty impressive china clay facility there yourself Rhys! I have some CDAs and a Cornish 37 myself and they make the occasional appearance when nobody is looking!

I'm having a breather on the clay dry at the moment and the carriage and wagon department has been in operation. I decided to have a bash at putting Comet sides on an old Airfix Centenary in order to produce a 'proper' SK. This has been on the 'to do' list for a while but I've always chickened out at hacking what was a pretty good coach for it's day. The thought of all that Evo-Stick was a bit off putting as well! Pleased to report though that it was much easier and much less messy than I expected. The compartments are hacked from a (Replica?) Mk1 set out of the spares department. Plenty to do yet but it's been enjoyable. I have one more spare Centenary and I'm minded to buy another set of sides and bring them on together.

IMG_7469.jpeg.e352d02137906c81834e32163d2f67a9.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

Trevor I'm very glad to see you added a door into the linhay! I was half tempted to suggest one but felt that I'd bombarded you with enough clay related suggestions as it was! It's coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing it roofed.

On the subject of clay related suggestions... just a minor nitpick at the risk of running up against "rule one", and I know this advice is never the best received after the fact... but that blue paint on the windows and doors of the dry would've actually been green in the time period that you're modelling, and as a matter of fact that is the reason for the green paint on the company cottages that you faithfully replicated from photos.

I've had this talk of green paint with several people on RMweb now and it's something that always catches people off guard. Despite multiple enquiries I've yet to find out why ECC so widely used green paint for such a long time, despite their "corporate" colours always being sky blue (appearing on not just the logo but also the company vehicle fleet). In spite of this, the green was absolutely everywhere and seems everyone in clay country had a pot of it in the shed! Under weathering and sunlight it faded to a sort of "seafoam" colour that I'm sure many of you have seen. Their other enduring colour was red, which was in particular applied to handrails, and this also became the Charlestown Foundry standard colour, appearing on things like pumps and hose monitors. After a period in the 60s and 70s when they started using a cream colour, ECC blue was only used on buildings for a brief period in the late 70s and early 80s, but before even a fraction of their buildings received the new colour it was replaced with more cost-efficient red oxide! It rather maddeningly ended up being the most rare colour in clay country.

Oh, by the way, at some point soon I'm going to sit down and have a crack at making up a 3D CAD for the Muir Hill LH-1 loader, which in the 50s was the machine of choice for these old linhays! I'll be putting it up on shapeways when it's done, and will drop you a link to it provided that does not contravene any of RMwebs rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Stoker said:

Trevor I'm very glad to see you added a door into the linhay! I was half tempted to suggest one but felt that I'd bombarded you with enough clay related suggestions as it was! It's coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing it roofed.

On the subject of clay related suggestions... just a minor nitpick at the risk of running up against "rule one", and I know this advice is never the best received after the fact... but that blue paint on the windows and doors of the dry would've actually been green in the time period that you're modelling, and as a matter of fact that is the reason for the green paint on the company cottages that you faithfully replicated from photos.

I've had this talk of green paint with several people on RMweb now and it's something that always catches people off guard. Despite multiple enquiries I've yet to find out why ECC so widely used green paint for such a long time, despite their "corporate" colours always being sky blue (appearing on not just the logo but also the company vehicle fleet). In spite of this, the green was absolutely everywhere and seems everyone in clay country had a pot of it in the shed! Under weathering and sunlight it faded to a sort of "seafoam" colour that I'm sure many of you have seen. Their other enduring colour was red, which was in particular applied to handrails, and this also became the Charlestown Foundry standard colour, appearing on things like pumps and hose monitors. After a period in the 60s and 70s when they started using a cream colour, ECC blue was only used on buildings for a brief period in the late 70s and early 80s, but before even a fraction of their buildings received the new colour it was replaced with more cost-efficient red oxide! It rather maddeningly ended up being the most rare colour in clay country.

Oh, by the way, at some point soon I'm going to sit down and have a crack at making up a 3D CAD for the Muir Hill LH-1 loader, which in the 50s was the machine of choice for these old linhays! I'll be putting it up on shapeways when it's done, and will drop you a link to it provided that does not contravene any of RMwebs rules.

No problem with the constructive observations, it’s all good knowledge for the future even if it can’t be acted upon now.

I had a nagging feeling that green might be the correct colour but I must confess that having found a nice weathered blue ‘printed’  example for the doors I jumped that way. The runners, along with many other things, are still to do by the way.

The JCB is also a bit late I feel but having made it more years ago than I care to think I felt it deserved it’s place! Having said that please let me know when your Muir Hill machine is available.

Very little is likely to get done until later in the summer as having just come back from Somerset we will be setting off for the Scottish Highlands in a few days time. There will then be the obligatory trip to Cornwall! Carol is about to take early retirement and we are celebrating with a summer of travelling. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When there has been an opportunity, I’ve managed to make a little progress on a centenary stock C69 corridor 2nd conversion. Hacking, bodgery and most of the paintwork are now complete so I’ll leave it for a while to let the paint thoroughly harden before I carry on. It would probably make Larry Goddard cry but as a first attempt at brass sides on an RTR base I’m quite pleased. The camera has been merciless with the paint finish on the left had door - in reality the orange peel is hardly noticeable and from past experience what is there will likely ‘settle’ over a few days.

IMG_7918.jpeg.664d95deba07c295300bbd6ceec31068.jpeg

Another pair of sides arrived today. These are for an H44 open dining second. This will be paired with my H57 for the up St Ives. Having carefully sprayed the H57 in crimson and cream it looked fine (and correct in colour) until it sat next to an RTR vehicle in the same livery… Not wishing to repaint a fleet of crimson and cream coaches, pragmatism ruled and there was a change of plan and a repaint before getting to the point of no return, ie lettering and lining etc.

So H57 and H44 for the St Ives. I believe the open diner would have been a Riviera Stock example but the H44 will do for me, especially as I had to hand everything but the sides. I’m hoping to bash on with it so that I can take advantage of the fine weather for painting. The interiors on the donor coaches are quite accessible so seats and tables will likely wait for now.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 9

Hi Stoker

I too would be interested in Muir Hill for my Condurrow layout.......

Incidentally I'll have to repaint the door & bargeboard of my just completed boilerhouse....

Just as well I'd not done more to the linhay.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get on a bit of a roll with the H44. Much quicker when you’ve done it before. Red oxide primer and Ford Burgundy to follow. I’m short of a battery box, wheels and obviously the interior still to do. This will now make three vehicles that need lining and lettering….

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

and obviously the interior still to do. 

C9AFE3CF-293C-4037-ABA8-73D22F3542CA.jpeg.c6acee951a55a15c7a086385cd069c94.jpeg

You'll have your work cut out on that, I remember doing mine. Very time consuming indeed. All those curtains and table lamps.;)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You'll have your work cut out on that, I remember doing mine. Very time consuming indeed. All those curtains and table lamps.;)

Don't remind me! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, I confess… I’ve had a bit of a holiday romance and there have been consequences!

I’ve visited Woody Bay many times since just before the railway was operating. This time we also took in Chelfam and Blackmoor Gate. When we arrived home I discovered than Rails had reduced Lew to not much more than half price. It was too much and so this little thing arrived this morning. 

I have a spare Tim Horn baseboard which fits nicely on an old wheeled cabinet underneath  Burngullow Lane. What happens next is anyone’s guess. Maybe just a little diorama that I can work on at the kitchen table… 

On a slightly more serious note I have a pal who build things smaller than this from scratch. I cannot imagine how he does it unless he has a microscope built into each eyeball. My uncle repaired ‘proper’ watches and clocks for a hobby. Unfortunately his skills didn’t rub off on me!

64AB14A5-8FCC-481E-A013-AD9F47BAE794.jpeg.95cf5473ba2de167fd05ed16ec1f17d0.jpeg

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Smashing acquisition, really small to me to when I received mine.

Now to expand my library! Measured and Drawn is it at the moment apart from a few ref photos and text in my Ilfracombe and Barnstaple books. 
Nice little side project.

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As has been said, I’ll have my work cut out… The repainted H57 plus the two centenaries await the next stages. 

27A684CA-DFE1-4364-A7E7-287CF4075A20.jpeg.2fa57c3e00d14ebab1c1a3c50e1f725a.jpeg

Not for a few days though as we’re off to Scotland tomorrow. But I did find time today to give a home to this Coopercraft hut built for a diorama some years back. It needs something outside but did platelayers really leave their tools lying about or is that a model railway cliche like buses on bridges…

37203E1F-0988-4B31-8099-642628904433.jpeg.8ae48be07bff41be207148ac2622f713.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It doesn't seem possible that it's over two months since my last update but with visits to both Scotland and the West Country there hasn't been time for much model work.

Back down to earth the first job on the hobby list was to give the outside of the railway shed another coat of protective treatment. I'm using a product called Osmo Oil which seems to do a fine job but naturally I ran out with, literally, a square metre left to do...

Other jobs done include working on some hedges along the back of the layout and finally plucking up courage to varnish the coaches in the previous post. I find varnishing a potentially nerve wracking experience and an opportunity to ruin a lot of work. Thankfully all was well and I can press on to finish the vehicles. The corridor second will be first and I'll post a photo when its done. In the meantime here is a snap of the hedging in progress.

IMG_7889.jpeg.997fb59a8dcc399a242537193fa08793.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

As promised a pic of the Wizard/Airfix Centenary corridor second which has finally made it into the 09:20 St Ives. Some mistakes made, much learned, a few things will be done differently next time but very enjoyable. Motivation to get on with the other outstanding jobs now!

99F94921-A352-456E-AD1E-1BDC9C72EC41.jpeg.a43329d8abfd08d6c6fe3bb201974912.jpeg

• Like 18