Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Great stuff Trevor.  Really enjoying seeing it all come to life with such convincing looking trains. 

Thank you, that’s appreciated. I do put some effort into trying to get the trains right. It’s a lot of work as you well know! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work again, Trevor!  Some lovely attention to detail on the dries.

Co-incidentally I was just writing about Scale Model Scenery on my own layout blog at the same time you must have been.  We had an arranged visit there last week with the Bodmin Club:  Justin and his crew made us very welcome and showed us round their workshop and showroom.  The materials they use are of excellent quality, and their bank of industrial-scale lasers is both impressive and mesmerising!  I came away with quite a few bits and pieces...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking absolutely excellent Trevor! Have bookmarked you and all that. 

I’ve seen this layout in the flesh and it’s quite frankly a sight to behold - makes my attempts positively toy like! 

I have purchased a few bits off scale model scenery over the last couple years. At the moment I’ve got a wall kit under construction- only thing is with the little man about it’s taking me about a month to build! 🤦‍♂️🙂

Wishing you both a happy Christmas! Will try to catch up in the spring as usual. 

Olly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, OllyW said:

Looking absolutely excellent Trevor! Have bookmarked you and all that. 

I’ve seen this layout in the flesh and it’s quite frankly a sight to behold - makes my attempts positively toy like! 

I have purchased a few bits off scale model scenery over the last couple years. At the moment I’ve got a wall kit under construction- only thing is with the little man about it’s taking me about a month to build! 🤦‍♂️🙂

Wishing you both a happy Christmas! Will try to catch up in the spring as usual. 

Olly. 

Hi Olly. Not sure I deserve such praise but hey, I'll take it! I'm just a good bodger. You must take a look at some of the other excellent work on here.

In any case as a professional on the electrical/electronics side I'm sure you'd cry if you saw the wiring!

I'm glad to hear you're bringing the little man up properly! All the very best to you, we're looking forward to your next visit. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's getting near the end of the year now and I've been mulling over what has happened on the layout. At times it has felt that not a great deal had been done but having made a list - nothing like a list! - I realise that it has been good steady progress. In fact I was quite surprised. So...

• Completed 3 etched coach kits.
  • Built the ‘upper’ fiddle yard for the china clay trains.
  • Bought and weathered or kit-built an LNER CCT, SR BY & Fruit D.
  • Built 4 more china clay wagons.
  • Built an extra shelf above the main fiddle yard.
  • Finished off the barn area at the St Austell end.
  • Clay dry 95%  finished.
  • Relayed the clay dry siding
  • Bashed an RTP signalbox and made the interior.
  • Altered part of the main fiddle yard to increase capacity.
  • Good progress made on the Penzance end bridge - 95% done.
  • Plus lots of little jobs. For instance, being painted on the desk in front of me are two Modelu dogs plus another batch of tail lamps.

Also we've spent the best part of 6 weeks away on various travels and I've made a start on a small dockside layout.

Not so bad after all!

On the 2023 new year's resolution job list are tarpaulins for the china clay wagons, signals, point rodding, fences and finish the two over bridges. I wonder...

Compliments of the season everyone and  wishing you good progress on your own projects.

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have discovered scale model scenery as well, and are starting to upgrade some of the buildings on Barkham Green with their stuff.

I saw your comment about the pre painted slate tiles and have ordered a pack to replace paper tiles on one the buildings that where starting to peel off

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some time back (it might have been on the Mayflower Dock thread) I think I mentioned that I was going to experiment making tension locks uncouple using the Brian Kirby system. I ordered some 'hooks' from PH designs and magnets from eBay. Due to the fact that the hooks took nearly a month to arrive as well as the Post Office doing their best to lose the magnets the job was forgotten, until the other day when I came across the bits whilst having a tidy up.

The first thing that struck me was that the etched hooks have a longer tail that the Bachmann equivalent. I could see no reason for the extra length so as there were plenty of spares I had a go at snipping it off and shortening it. The tails were pretty close to rail level and were very visible.

IMG_9523.jpeg.755b64abb055dc5c514062ee3a4b1da6.jpeg

The etched U shaped hole in the PH etches seemed a little big so I also created a couple of hybrids using Bachmann hooks. In the event either worked well. Steel staples are soldered into the holes provided for the purpose.

IMG_9524.jpeg.866cb36b01428853d86d89f3d4e8f41c.jpeg

With a few couplings modified I glued one of my magnets to a spare piece of track. The result was probably predictable in that it was so powerful that it attracted the steel wagon axles... Time for a rethink! For passenger stock I use Hunt couplings and have never looked back but very occasionally the magnets do come loose or the NEM tails break, resulting in my having a small supply of the magnets. They are too weak to use permanently in the 4 foot but what about a shunters pole? That would have the bonus that it could be used anywhere on the layout.

I quickly glued one to the first thing that came to hand - a coffee stirrer - and the result is below. By carefully trimming the end of the stirrer the 'shunters pole' can be rested against the rail to operate the coupling without disturbing the wagon. It took a minute or two's practice but it works very time.

IMG_9526.jpeg.6e39c66596560a26397ed9d9b097d097.jpeg

Obviously the other wagon has to have the tension lock hook removed so it takes a little planning. I accept that this won't work for everyone but with the moves I need it for on Burngullow Lane it's ideal and it doesn't stop the vehicles being used in other trains.

I'll use the method more on Mayflower Dock where there will be more uncoupling but with a little forethought and the limited number of vehicles involved it will be fine for my needs. Importantly the wagons can be used on either layout.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to read this Trevor and to find someone else using the Brian Kirby modification.  I hadn't come across these hooks before. But in my experience trying to replace a tension lock hook with another one has never worked - it's never been secure again.  So if I'm adapting a coupling to the Brian Kirby system and I knock the hook off I bin the whole thing and start again.  But making the addition to the existing dropper with a staple and superglue is quick and efficient - about a couple of minutes per coupling.  

Here are a couple of mine:

P1070505.JPG.af8daf8321d16a679be9a0063dc7b96a.JPG

In the second pic the patch of rust on the rail chair denotes the location of the sub-ballast magnet (Screwfix kitchen cupboard door magnet).

P1070503.JPG.4d1f57be4219d8bd60f19e03c62c621b.JPG

I too had loads of trouble with steel axles being attracted by the magnets, causing involuntary re-coupling.  Goods stock which is regularly shunted now has brass axles (delivered from California in Imperial sizes!) and/or some friction applied to the axle (usually with slivers of Plastikard glued to the back of the coupling mount and bearing on the axle.  After lots of trial and error I reckon I now have upwards of 95% reliability.

John C.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, checkrail said:

usually with slivers of Plastikard glued to the back of the coupling mount and bearing on the axle

Thank you for that idea John.  I had been planning on foam and wondering what to use and how to attach.  I think plasticard drag will be easier for me to manage.

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Interesting to read this Trevor and to find someone else using the Brian Kirby modification.  I hadn't come across these hooks before. But in my experience trying to replace a tension lock hook with another one has never worked - it's never been secure again.  So if I'm adapting a coupling to the Brian Kirby system and I knock the hook off I bin the whole thing and start again.  But making the addition to the existing dropper with a staple and superglue is quick and efficient - about a couple of minutes per coupling.  

Here are a couple of mine:

P1070505.JPG.af8daf8321d16a679be9a0063dc7b96a.JPG

In the second pic the patch of rust on the rail chair denotes the location of the sub-ballast magnet (Screwfix kitchen cupboard door magnet).

P1070503.JPG.4d1f57be4219d8bd60f19e03c62c621b.JPG

I too had loads of trouble with steel axles being attracted by the magnets, causing involuntary re-coupling.  Goods stock which is regularly shunted now has brass axles (delivered from California in Imperial sizes!) and/or some friction applied to the axle (usually with slivers of Plastikard glued to the back of the coupling mount and bearing on the axle.  After lots of trial and error I reckon I now have upwards of 95% reliability.

John C.

I take your point about the security of the tension lock hooks John. I'll have to have bash with your method.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, Trevor.  You’ve definitely improved the look with the use of an embossed and painted exterior, as opposed to the sticky-backed paper overlays supplied.  

I’m looking to build a row of terraced houses, and will probably do something similar using Redutex sheets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Phil. It was well worth doing and to be honest not difficult, just a little time consuming. A good use for all those pieces of Wills sheet that were ‘too big to throw away but too small for anything’! As mentioned I found the doors to be the hardest part.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

Hope you are OK Trevor, just missing your updates that's all 🙁

I'm fine thanks! 🙂  Lot's of 'life' has been going on - most of it good I hasten to add. There have been developments and some potential developments which didn't.  I must get round to reporting but it's just getting round to sitting in front of the 'puter and writing about it!                                                                       

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9