Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

8 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

We used to pass Pentewan when stopping at Gorran Haven on holiday years back.

Eventually we visited and I was surprised how much of the old industry was evident.

Looking at the OS Maps I cannot see any evidence of the trackbed through the Kings Wood to St Austell.

Ian

I am "pretty sure" most of it is a cycle path....

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

the very day that the ‘long hot summer’ finally ended with a torrential downpour

Ha, ha - just after Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought!

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

This should then be removable for maintenance/cleaning as needed. I don’t imagine I will use it for more than a set piece but that little Ruston that Hornby do would look nice with the conflat replaced by a china clay wagon...

One fine day I'm going to turn my Hornby Peckett into a Port of Par Bagnall. It'll be about 10% too big all round in linear dimensions but still bl00dy small.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Sooner or later I'm going to have to build a couple of dozen or more china clay wagons from Ratio and Parkside kits.

Stick with the Parksides Trevor. The Ratio ones, like the Bachmann RTR, have the roller-bearing axleboxes that are really too late for your (our) period.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Stick with the Parksides Trevor. The Ratio ones, like the Bachmann RTR, have the roller-bearing axleboxes that are really too late for your (our) period.

The downside with the Parkside wagons are that they're simply too early, including the axleboxes which are a different type (albeit subtly) to the later ones. The ratio kit is the most accurate apart from the axleboxes, which are fairly easily removed using a sharp knife, and can then be replaced using Dart Castings RCH axlebox, a bargain at £4.20 for a pack of 12. https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2241A.php

Dart also make a 12 pack of BR SKF roller bearings, which in addition to a wee strip of corrugated styrene at each end, is useful for converting RTR BR 5 plank opens to clayliners. https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2256A.php

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on the China Clay wagons folks. All welcome. About the only thing I know for certain at the moment is that the ‘hood’ tarpaulins are far too late. I’m aware there were detail differences but not exactly what these were.

7 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thanks for the info on the China Clay wagons folks. All welcome. About the only thing I know for certain at the moment is that the ‘hood’ tarpaulins are far too late. I’m aware there were detail differences but not exactly what these were.

The Parkside wagon represents the 1913 GWR wagon dia O13. It seems the last examples were withdrawn in the late 1950s as they were replaced in batches by the new BR wagons. Some sources I've read say that they were all vacuum fitted by 1939, but I have photos from later with no evidence of vacuum hoses. Entirely possible that some remained unfitted to the bitter end or that the information is simply inaccurate, unfortunately I've got no reference material to verify. 

The main detail differences between the old GWR vs newer BR are angled vs straight bufferbeam ends, spoke instead of disc wheels, different axleboxes, and I believe subtly different brake gear although don't quote me on that as I'm far from being an expert. The hybar style tented sheets were added to this latter set of BR wagons in 1974 as a refresh in lieu of total replacement, and supposedly done to make the sheets easier to handle. So the ratio kit can make either the flat sheeted type introduced mid to late 50s or the hooded type '74-'87, while the Parkside kit would cap out at 1959.

• Informative/Useful 5

I’m not convinced that the GWR 013 clays were fitted at all. The first 2 lots of the BR Wagons were also built unfitted in 1954/55 but later ones were fitted. 

The GWR wagons were built with single ended Dean Churchward brake gear (DC2) but most were subsequently converted to  independent or Morton brakes in their latter years to meet the requirement to have the brake levers at different ends of the wagons on each side. There are a few photos of my attempts to represent this on the Scalefour Society Forum. 

The roller bearing wagons for the Clayliner trains were a mid-1960’s development to speed up those services and were formed from an interesting mix of 12 ton, 5 plank opens. Paul Bartlett’s books and website has lots of useful information. 

Roller bearings were rare but not unknown on the BR Clay (Ratio kit) but generally on those that latterly found their way into the Clayliner rakes rather than those with hoods - there will be exceptions!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stoker said:

The Parkside wagon represents the 1913 GWR wagon dia O13. It seems the last examples were withdrawn in the late 1950s as they were replaced in batches by the new BR wagons. Some sources I've read say that they were all vacuum fitted by 1939, but I have photos from later with no evidence of vacuum hoses. Entirely possible that some remained unfitted to the bitter end or that the information is simply inaccurate, unfortunately I've got no reference material to verify. 

The main detail differences between the old GWR vs newer BR are angled vs straight bufferbeam ends, spoke instead of disc wheels, different axleboxes, and I believe subtly different brake gear although don't quote me on that as I'm far from being an expert. The hybar style tented sheets were added to this latter set of BR wagons in 1974 as a refresh in lieu of total replacement, and supposedly done to make the sheets easier to handle. So the ratio kit can make either the flat sheeted type introduced mid to late 50s or the hooded type '74-'87, while the Parkside kit would cap out at 1959.

42 minutes ago, jbg said:

I’m not convinced that the GWR 013 clays were fitted at all. The first 2 lots of the BR Wagons were also built unfitted in 1954/55 but later ones were fitted. 

The GWR wagons were built with single ended Dean Churchward brake gear (DC2) but most were subsequently converted to  independent or Morton brakes in their latter years to meet the requirement to have the brake levers at different ends of the wagons on each side. There are a few photos of my attempts to represent this on the Scalefour Society Forum. 

The roller bearing wagons for the Clayliner trains were a mid-1960’s development to speed up those services and were formed from an interesting mix of 12 ton, 5 plank opens. Paul Bartlett’s books and website has lots of useful information. 

Roller bearings were rare but not unknown on the BR Clay (Ratio kit) but generally on those that latterly found their way into the Clayliner rakes rather than those with hoods - there will be exceptions!

Most of my clay wagons are ancient Kirk kits, now over 40 years old. I fitted new self-contained buffers to them and modifed the brake gear on some to represent the BR vacuum-fitted version. As they were all yo ucould get in those days I was (and still am) quite happy with them. I need to build more for the current layout and they will be Parkside, possibly again with some mods.

• RMweb Premium

That's all interesting stuff about the clay wagons. I must study Paul Bartlett's website and scour the various books and magazines I have. At the moment I'm minded to make up the Parkside and Ratio kits as they come out of the box, just to fix in my own mind what the details are. As I've said many times before, I'm glad took early retirement because however did I find the time to go to work!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After a few days when the railway had to take a back seat I've managed to get a fair bit done today and I'm pleased to say trains have run. The down line and refuge siding are complete with point motors wired up although point operation is still  'touch two wires together'. Watching a train run along the top of what will be an embankment I knew thankfully that I have done the right thing in starting again. Phew!

Completion of the up line will wait for a while on the arrival of the Peco Bullhead single slip. Some thinking/compromise will be needed if it's not available within, say a couple of months. In the mean time perhaps I will get the control panels started or build some china clay wagons...

Speaking of the arrival or otherwise of items there will obviously delays caused by the situation in China (although I believe Peco equipment is made in the UK?).  We are in the midst of giving the lounge a complete make over. Some weeks ago we ordered some new furniture and were quoted about 12 weeks delivery. Fair enough we thought, that gives us plenty of time to decorate. We didn't give a thought to where the furniture was made... Now you know what's coming... On Saturday we had a letter explaining that as the items were made in China there would be at least a six week delay. Oh well!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Completion of the up line will wait for a while on the arrival of the Peco Bullhead single slip.

On the basis that the BH points are/will be the same geometry as FB code 75 you could use an FB one in the meantime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Completion of the up line will wait for a while on the arrival of the Peco Bullhead single slip. Some thinking/compromise will be needed if it's not available within, say a couple of months.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

On the basis that the BH points are/will be the same geometry as FB code 75 you could use an FB one in the meantime.

I have a similar problem at the moment - waiting for a bullhead diamond crossing.

I'm reluctant to buy a FB one for just a short period of use.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

I have a similar problem at the moment - waiting for a bullhead diamond crossing.

I'm reluctant to buy a FB one for just a short period of use.

I've given this some thought and I think I will do as you say John except that because it is ⅓ of the price I will temporarily use a diamond (is that the correct term?) instead. Although it will be 'wasted' eventually, it's the lesser of two evils. I want to get on while I'm wearing my trackwork head as I find less mistakes are made that way and any problems are sorted out at an early stage. Peco, no doubt for the right reasons, have delayed this so much that I feel I could still be here next year waiting...

Of course if I wasn't lazy and made my own track! Recently I came across a small bag of ply and rivet sleepers that I made over 40 years ago when I did such things. Back then there was little choice but I had better eyesight and the enthusiasm of youth on my side!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit of playing testing today while I had a good clear up of odd jobs and plan the next steps. Roundhiil Grange (see my Avatar, Falmouth 1961 whilst perched on my Dad's shoulders) and my winter project, a Comet 12 wheel diner for my mid '50s Cornishman set, passes 7715 on a class K goods. I need to get on with diner's end handrails and then it can go into primer to await topcoats when the warmer weather comes. 

I ordered a few more components this evening for the next stages, including a code 75 diamond in temporary lieu of a bullhead single slip. On the list were also 3 Cobalt analogue point motors. I had a mighty job finding any. All my usual suppliers either didn't have enough or were sold out but eventually I found some at Antics. Even DCC Concepts themselves have sold out. If anyone needs some I suggest getting them now. 

IMG_6143.jpeg.6d507577ec6b6cab73d73aa2208626eb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Most of the goodies ordered earlier in the week have arrived. In view of the experience with the point motors I've also obtained the switches for the control panels just in case these become affected by the situation in China. As soon as the trackwork is finished I intend to make a start on the panels - I've had enough of touching wires together to change points! I'm not going for anything fancy on the panels. There will be one for the fiddle yard and one on the scenic section. The switches will be numbered in the manner of signal levers with an LED red/green telltale as an extra visual reminder of how they are set. The numbers will be repeated on top of each visible point motor or on the baseboard edge for those underneath. I've a mind to produce a table of leads as in idiots guide - the idiot being me!

Having finished with the crossover at the St Austell end of the fiddle yard and the up loop point at this end, I've reached the stage where I need to get the diamond crossing in. This will be a voyage of discovery as I've never done one before. The 'frogs' will be switched by the spare contacts on the Cobalts for the point off the down main and it's partner in the up loop - I think that will work! This set of points form a trailing connection to the loop, sidings and Drinnick Branch on the up side.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

The 'frogs' will be switched by the spare contacts on the Cobalts for the point off the down main and it's partner in the up loop - I think that will work!

It certainly should Trevor. Just make sure that both points work together, as a crossover, and that you connect each frog to the point furthest away from it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It certainly should Trevor. Just make sure that both points work together, as a crossover, and that you connect each frog to the point furthest away from it.

By the way, you won't need to use a second pair of contacts as each frog on the diamond is always at the same polarity as its corresponding point frog, so daisy-chaining them together will do fine.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to able to report that on St Piran's day both up and down main lines are operational. The clay sidings and the Drinnick Mill branch are still works in progress but as can be seen below a train can set back across the trailing connection on to the up loop to proceed to Drinnick Mill.

The pile of bits in far corner is where the clay dry will be situated.

In spite of my planning, or perhaps because of it, there were a couple of near misses with point motors and baseboard cross members. But what is life without a few dramas and the need for a bit of ingenuity.

I also temporarily laid the incline (out of shot) that will take trains in the direction of Drinnick Mill and was pleased  that 7715 took a decent load, in excess of that which will fit into one the cassettes, with no problem - I just need to get on with building the china clay wagons...

IMG_6162.jpeg.9ef58b70336cff5c08c9a1c486fce88e.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/03/2020 at 19:35, TrevorP1 said:

I'm pleased to able to report that on St Piran's day both up and down main lines are operational.

As you mention that Cornish National Saint, might it be appropriate to show the man himself with his own modelling? I'm not sure if it is OO gauge though. Any suggestions?

image.png.5b5206cf12a0448d7dca7c289a876d07.png

The main figure is St Piran, who is portrayed tonsured, shaven and barefoot, wearing a monastic habit. His left hand supports a model of his oratory at Perranzabuloe.

https://www.cornishstainedglass.org.uk/mgstc/chapter11.xhtml

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Further progress on wiring and trackwork has been slowed due to connector blocks which are 'delayed due to the situation in China' and a Peco bullhead right hand point which has been 'due for delivery in 2 or 3 days' for the the thick end of two weeks. Never mind, a chance to iron out some niggles, play trains and think about the scenery.  

Below is the scene looking west towards Truro with the block of 2 x 1 standing in for the bridge carrying the real life Burngullow Lane. I wanted to fix the basic shell of the foreground scenery so that I can sort out the shape of the profile boards. I discovered something called 'Modelling Sheet' on the World War Scenics website. It comes in a piece 72" x 12" and consists of a white 'fabric' material bonded to a thick aluminium foil backing. It is easily cut with strong scissors and the beauty is that it needs very little support other than rudimentary formers. The general idea is that a thin layer of Mod Roc goes over the top to lock it into shape - I'll give that a go tomorrow. The material is relatively expensive but the time saving is enormous.

In the very background the line curves - far too sharply but there you go... - on it's way to the fiddle yard. The piece of 'Modelling Sheet' under the Power Cab is sitting there of it's own accord as I still need to adjust this. This would have been the site of the long gone Burngullow Station. I've been unsure about this but I need something to take the eye off the curve so a couple of earth banks, a derelict building and the signal box might do a job here. The box will move to the opposite side of the line to prototype because:

1. It would be a nonsense on the inside of the curve between two bridges and 
  2. On the outside of the curve it will face the viewer.

The Drinnick branch curves round behind but will disappear from view behind a low backdrop as it passes the box. The main reason for this being the mega sharp curve involved. Operationally this will be fine as a pannier with take 10 or 12 close coupled wagons up there with no problem.

IMG_6165.jpeg.f50b228e459871ae8af3e79384b891ca.jpeg

Below is a snap looking the other way. As mentioned previously I've used a code 75 diamond instead of the awaited single slip. How long this stays remains to be seen... I found the insulating rail joiners used here very unsatisfactory in joining bullhead to flat bottom, so I cut away those on one end, just leaving the gaps and in due course I think I'll fit cosmetic plastic fishplates. So far so good, so if this all stays put I'll do the same on the other end. Although not really visible in the photo Roundhill Grange is standing just inside the home make catch point salvaged from Grampound Road. The piece of foambaord near the bank is the site of some planned railway cottages.

IMG_6167.jpeg.3e7d92936fe0556fafc8f1a60ed9b0f7.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

a couple of earth banks, a derelict building and the signal box might do a job here. The box will move to the opposite side of the line to prototype

You could swap the positions of the later signal box and the disused Cornwall Railway one.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You could swap the positions of the later signal box and the disused Cornwall Railway one.

John, I was under the impression that the 'box on the down side was the Cornwall Railway one... Or was there one on the first Burngullow station ie the one opposite what became Blackpool Clay works. Speaking of which am I right in thinking that the large house here, on the down side, was connected with this original station?