5 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

So, ballasting. My first real attempt.

Track and ballast looking really good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Track and ballast looking really good.

Ballast is a bit like paint - covers a multitude of sins! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The Carriage  and Wagon Department has been in action over the last couple of days. Firstly finishing off the part built Ratio SR bogie van I bought at Warley before moving on to the TPO vehicle I started a while back.

I’d like to run a representation of the Great Western TPO but building the lot from brass kits - even if they are available - is a non starter on the cost and time fronts. So I’m resorting to hack jobs on the Hornby (LMS?) based version.

Having scoured eBay for cheap ones - the best was a bogieless one for £2 - I started on a representation of an L21.  Purists look away now - I know about the differences!

F5F72F3B-C9F3-4206-AAA9-63DF9C4A013F.jpeg.61b0b9713c82727dd57ad46d8a32f98c.jpeg

Mods include removal of roof ribs, fitting cast vents, building a collector net area (nets have been obtained from

Stevenson Carriages) , Comet bogies etc. 

It’s a “when the mood takes me” job but I think I’ll finish this one first to prove, or otherwise, to myself that it’s worth it and then do some more as a batch.

I’ve scoured the interweb and bookshops for information and I’ve got enough to go on but it’s surprising how little information there is about such an important train.

• Like 6

Another challenge has just arrived! Part of the ‘stash’ from WM Collectables. It includes the most amazingly comprehensive history and instruction sheet. 

A02540EA-8A90-4D5A-946C-7332FD9B864D.jpeg.4784fed44e73d9a0824dbd9bb7b2c64d.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Another challenge has just arrived! Part of the ‘stash’ from WM Collectables. It includes the most amazingly comprehensive history and instruction sheet. 

David Geen took this range on but are no longer available.

17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

David Geen took this range on but are no longer available.

Andrew still has 4 left at the moment. They aren't cheap but no more than some of the recent RTR wagons.

I must be getting into Cornish habits because I've been saying to myself "I must post an update dreckly," for some days now.

Railway time on a good few of the last ten days has been devoted to ballasting, which is 90% complete except in places I will intentionally leave for point rodding etc (except where I forgot...). 

Other activities have included hacking two Hornby TPOs, plus sundry other bits into something like a diagram L23 TPO stowage brake. It looks hopeful at the moment and I'll post a photo when I'm confident it will be a success. This is very much an 'as and when' project and an ideal foil to the ballasting. It won't be perfect but as I've just read (about a different topic) on Tony Wright's thread, it will be better than the one I haven't got.

I've also spent a while playing trains and working up a short sequence. As mentioned I shall go down the 'representative trains' route. There are ten trains in the present sequence and eventually I'm planning on expanding that to perhaps 20 - 30 divided into (say) three parts. I'll see how it goes but I envisage running each part of the sequence till I get bored, then change stock etc and move onto the next. I've identified  vehicles that will need building and high on this list are full brakes and more china clay wagons plus finishing the H57 diner. Some more steam locos wouldn't go amiss and I have a Grange that needs an identity change plus the Bachmann Modified Hall which needs the Brassmasters parts fitting.

Lots to do! :) 

Oh nearly forgot.! Our Cornish holiday is looking 50/50 for this year so these arrived the other day to cheer us up! They are from South Coast Bakeries in Polperro. Not quite like sitting on the harbour at Mevagissy or Falmouth but tasty nonetheless.

236627E2-482D-4AA9-9C90-13DD1D8D74E0.jpeg.9b00dbb9bddc2e0de5bfb87ce61d4008.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I must be getting into Cornish habits because I've been saying to myself "I must post an update dreckly," for some days now.

Railway time on a good few of the last ten days has been devoted to ballasting, which is 90% complete except in places I will intentionally leave for point rodding etc (except where I forgot...). 

Other activities have included hacking two Hornby TPOs, plus sundry other bits into something like a diagram L23 TPO stowage brake. It looks hopeful at the moment and I'll post a photo when I'm confident it will be a success. This is very much an 'as and when' project and an ideal foil to the ballasting. It won't be perfect but as I've just read (about a different topic) on Tony Wright's thread, it will be better than the one I haven't got.

I've also spent a while playing trains and working up a short sequence. As mentioned I shall go down the 'representative trains' route. There are ten trains in the present sequence and eventually I'm planning on expanding that to perhaps 20 - 30 divided into (say) three parts. I'll see how it goes but I envisage running each part of the sequence till I get bored, then change stock etc and move onto the next. I've identified  vehicles that will need building and high on this list are full brakes and more china clay wagons plus finishing the H57 diner. Some more steam locos wouldn't go amiss and I have a Grange that needs an identity change plus the Bachmann Modified Hall which needs the Brassmasters parts fitting.

Oh nearly forgot.! Our Cornish holiday is looking 50/50 for this year so these arrived the other day to cheer us up! They are from South Coast Bakeries in Polperro. Not quite like sitting on the harbour at Mevagissy or Falmouth but tasty nonetheless.

You've eaten one already!

• Funny 1

On 19/05/2020 at 19:26, TrevorP1 said:

The pasty shops are still closed in Meva but if you want another taste of Cornwall, ‘Phil the Fish’ can send you a delivery of freshly caught seafood landed in the village.  His wife Kim runs the harbourside wet fish kiosk, and Phil does home deliveries and mail order.  www.mevagisseywetfish.co.uk.  The monkfish and lemon sole we had this week were superb...

3 hours ago, Chamby said:

The pasty shops are still closed in Meva but if you want another taste of Cornwall, ‘Phil the Fish’ can send you a delivery of freshly caught seafood landed in the village.  His wife Kim runs the harbourside wet fish kiosk, and Phil does home deliveries and mail order.  www.mevagisseywetfish.co.uk.  The monkfish and lemon sole we had this week were superb...

Thanks Phil. We may well give them a try.

I hope you've not been affected by the displays of selfishness we've seen in the news recently. Beggars belief...

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I hope you've not been affected by the displays of selfishness we've seen in the news recently. Beggars belief...

There are quite a few ‘second homies’ around and a few day trippers but not enough to cause us problems so far, thanks for asking.  I think we’re far enough off the end of the M5 to avoid the worst of what has been happening elsewhere re: daytrippers.  It’s been relatively quiet virus-wise down here, but I understand that several visitors are among those being treated for Covid in the local hospital.

It’s the upcoming end of lockdown restrictions that is the biggest concern.  Lockdown has been effective down here... but it leaves us vulnerable later on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Chamby said:

I remember a day trip fishing from Mevagissey on one of our holidays, about 1966 or 67. Delicious mackerel. Mrs Thomas at the Pier House Hotel in Charlestown would also cook up any pollack we caught from the piers there.

• Like 1