Burngullow Lane. - On the main line through Legend Land.

TrevorP1

16 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

With summer (we’ll what passes for it) activities beginning to take over and having had my fill for the moment of trackwork and wiring, in spare moments I’m seeing what I can do for some milk tanks. There’s something satisfying about using RTR as raw material and these victims are the Hornby version. As far as I can see they are ‘generic’ and for the foreseeable future I’ll have to be satisfied with that.

Work so far has been on filling the join line in the tank barrels. I’m still wondering what else I can do to spruce them up a bit. I can’t make up my mind about trying to replace the wibbly wobbly diagonal support bars. Maybe mods to the tank cradles on at least one? Certainly some decent wheels and also some etched plates from Rumney Models. ‘Livery’ will be totally filthy as per period photos.

8356DE82-FABD-45D1-87FC-5D88A9FAB397.jpeg.8deb6153e9debad3ea02d2c80f4e6755.jpeg

Rhymney also do sets of etches for ladders and walkways. A couple of tanks with these, and perhaps the inspection covers moved to one end will make a real difference to the appearance of the rake....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Rhymney also do sets of etches for ladders and walkways. A couple of tanks with these, and perhaps the inspection covers moved to one end will make a real difference to the appearance of the rake....

Food for thought there. 100% agree. I'd like to do something along those lines but I've got to keep in mind this is a 'side project' and not to get too carried away.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of those good days today. A pal with a varied career as a  driver on the big railway but who took early retirement dropped by for a trip to Rhuddlan Models, lunch at 'the local' and 'playing trains' this afternoon.  We ran though a short sequence of prototypical formations and had jolly good fun. After a crash course on the PowerCab Jim did what he was paid to do in his career and I 'touched wires together' to make the points work (!). Only 2 problems, one with a coupling falling off an RTR wagon and the other when the point operating muppet didn't check that one had gone over fully - of course the time I forgot was when it hadn't, not helped by the lack of proper switches of course.

I'll only be tackling odd jobs over the next few weeks but after the holidays I'll get the final arrangement of the fiddle yard sorted so that I can get on and build the control panel. I've managed to make a start on platform building though - more on this when I have photo.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

One of those good days today. A pal with a varied career as a  driver on the big railway but who took early retirement dropped by for a trip to Rhuddlan Models, lunch at 'the local' and 'playing trains' this afternoon.  We ran though a short sequence of prototypical formations and had jolly good fun. After a crash course on the PowerCab Jim did what he was paid to do in his career and I 'touched wires together' to make the points work (!). Only 2 problems, one with a coupling falling off an RTR wagon and the other when the point operating muppet didn't check that one had gone over fully - of course the time I forgot was when it hadn't, not helped by the lack of proper switches of course.

I'll only be tackling odd jobs over the next few weeks but after the holidays I'll get the final arrangement of the fiddle yard sorted so that I can get on and build the control panel. I've managed to make a start on platform building though - more on this when I have photo.

Great stuff Trevor, although "crash course on the PowerCab" probably wasn't the best choice of words...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Hi Trevor,

I've really enjoyed catching up on your thread. Some very promising modelling. You have a great space too.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Thank you Nick. I've put in some hard work over the last 6 months but I'm pretty happy the way things have gone. Much has been learned!  I'm in a position now to be able to work on several different areas as time/mood permits rather that beavering away at one type of work all the time. I have an 'after the holidays' project list mind and at the top are the fiddle yard and it's control panel as mentioned yesterday. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Over the last couple of weeks I've been having a look at the platforms. Nothing startling but here is progress to date. The 'walls' are balsa, pinned and glued whilst the 'tops' are foam board. I intend to build the walls out with embossed plasticard and the top surface will also be plastic sheet (with cut-outs for the buildings) so that I can finish off the edge nearest the track to a nice smooth curve. A visit to Llangollen is called for to  get details of the edge slabs and the supporting brickwork underneath. I don't fancy cutting out dozens of edging slabs but I can't think of another way at the moment.

This view also shows the makings of the point rodding lead off from the signal box. The pieces of card laid on the up side are the footprints of the station building and the signal box. Card mock ups of these will follow when the platform is down. There are cut-outs in the trackbed for the point rodding stools on the up side. Painting and ballasting beckon...

IMG_5561.jpeg.328ee06fc6680a4294b6f3086e3ad6e4.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Enjoying the updates Trevor,

Just returned from Llangollen pic. below may be of help? Probably have more if you need. I dare say you need to visit anyway.

55B6B0BB-ABAE-4AB1-B0B2-B2B7022A10D3.jpeg.f4698cc3d7eeb869662ab2e5c25039a5.jpeg

Scale model scenery or Salescenes do a sheet. Not curved though but Here (that may be member content only!) they shave 1.5 mm off the joints. To gain the curve. Shave more if you need to for your curve. The results are not entirely convincing but it’s a method.

Download pavement

Download platform

usual disclaimers just happily used them before.

then there is scribing of course in a medium of your choice.

Look forward to more as and when.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Ade. I'm afraid the first link wouldn't let me in but I've downloaded the platform file to have a play around with. I'm not a massive fan of brick papers but if it's good enough for Tony Wright on Bytham's platforms then perhaps it ought to be good enough for me! :) The final surface will be a good few weeks away yet but it needs thinking about and getting right.

From memory the platform at Glyndyfrdwy is similar to that at Grampound Road. I'm not sure about Carrog but we are only about 45 minutes away so it's an excuse for a trip out there when the sun deigns to shine again. The little cafe on the platform usually has something tempting as well!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

The little cafe on the platform usually has something tempting as well!

Now your talking Trevor!!! Yum yum!

6F3D33B3-490F-44A0-88BD-8882E6F77F4B.jpeg.98b2a900881ae87c0764844c6ac2e8df.jpeg

The SMS product was this.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/tx142-oo-network-rail-platform-edge-coping-pack-of-5-oo4mm176-366-p.asp

Well actually This and a screen shot from the how to.

33AAF2F6-DA7C-40DC-80E7-F2932EF6C014.png.e00aa3b211d1fe90aa8f278f514bc2ad.png

Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

With our annual visit to Kernow getting nearer, nothing much is likely to happen on the railway for a few weeks but I did get a chance to put together some cassettes the other day. The wood was cut at the same time as the legs and L girders etc so it was just a matter of assembly. I've done three at the moment but will do some more as time goes on. These will take four Mk1s but I anticipate doing a few in shorter lengths.

The pics are self explanatory I think. The moveable end stops are the same material as the base so they are a snug fit and can be moved up and down the cassette. I think an early mod will be to put some more short 'spacers' on the top.

IMG_5588.jpeg.48b8430bd9d2a14745ae27ec4cdec083.jpegIMG_5586.jpeg.87d12ea31120875912d6c8d4d3a0d36d.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Last time I looked at your thread I think you were building baseboards.  Then Grampound Road accidentally fell off my radar.  Just had a very enjoyable catch-up with progress so far - quite a lot!  This is going to be a fine layout, right up my street.  Will be following from now on.

Best wishes.

John C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Last time I looked at your thread I think you were building baseboards.  Then Grampound Road accidentally fell off my radar.  Just had a very enjoyable catch-up with progress so far - quite a lot!  This is going to be a fine layout, right up my street.  Will be following from now on.

Best wishes.

John C.

Thank you John. If my efforts turn out as neat as Stoke Courtenay I will be well pleased!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've been back a week from our 'Grand Tour' of the west country - including 18 days in The Duchy :) - so as the Welsh rain teems down again (heatwave????) it's about time I updated this thread. The rural area east of Truro is one of my favourite parts of Cornwall but then I have so many 'favourite parts of Cornwall'! We passed through the 'real' Grampound Road a couple of times but it is so different to what it must have been 60 years ago that it didn't seem worthwhile to spend any time there. Nevertheless spending time in the surrounding countryside, soaking up the atmosphere and noticing colours and distant views seemed time well spent. 

There was also the customary visit to Camborne where I was relieved of some cash in a very helpful, polite and efficient manner! :) 

Back on the 1/76 version of Grampound Road I've just dealt with the coupling on my second KMRC Warship. The montage below should explain better than words but those who own one will know the original is very long, poking way out in front of the bufferbeam. My fix involved cutting back the pocket to about 2mm in front of the drop section, then slotting in a Bachmann short tension lock. The two then being drilled and pinned with a piece of brass rod. Lastly the ends of the tension lock were snipped off. I've also used Araldite to secure one and Plastic Weld on the other - I'm not sure if either will be effective but the pin should be all that is needed anyway. It can be seen that something like 5mm to 6mm has been saved. Although I hate tension locks they are expedient for me at the moment but the same idea could be used for many types of coupling.

IMG_5762.jpg.bfe6ee19238ad457574625f5add14ee9.jpg

This morning postman brought the Cobalt point motor I need to finish part 2 of my fiddle yard mods so I can get on with that now. I've taken the opportunity to replace the SS types originally used in this area. There are just three left on the layout now. They are an interesting product and idea but I've found them tricky to live with. They are well made, can save space and are ideal in tight locations.  Unfortunately they are not for me but I hesitate to 'knock' them - unlike couplings from just about every manufacturer and those who seem to have random wheel standards!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With my scenery head on some good progress on the railway this week. I've decided to get on with as much of the messy stuff as possible - what builders would call a 'first fix' I suppose. Much plaster bandage and many scraps of ply, foam board and  card have been wielded. At last last things are beginning to look like the real location. Platform building - I may well use Ade Moore's kind suggestion for the edges - may be a little more tricky now but knowing my clumsiness I would have dropped some kind of scenic stuff all over the finished article had I done it the other way.

I'm pleased at the way the deep cutting at the down end now hides the sharp curve in this location. Trains burst out from under the road bridge as they must have done in real life. However, as I suspected,  it has become clear that to continue the cutting along the down platform as per the real GR would seriously inhibit the view of the trains so I intend to stop it short and replace with a field or somesuch. In another departure from reality, one of the 'new old' Hornby clerestories had been ordered from KMRC to become a camping coach in the yard. I just cannot resist the opportunity. As a child I was fascinated by the real thing at Falmouth and could not understand why my parents preffered a nice cosy guest house in Melville Road!

For reasons such as these Grampound Road may well become St Stephen Road when it comes to making the running in boards...

Some photos. 7715 heads west with a Class K goods and...

IMG_5782.jpeg.81bba33d3b514e85e53f38bab9baef00.jpeg

... safety in numbers, a pair of NBL type 2s on the up Falmouth - Paddington.

IMG_5779.jpeg.e0cfc064e414fe1f8ea975ebf56969e7.jpeg

I am conscious that most of my stock needs weathering, some even needs building. There is so much to do but there again that's the idea! :) 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Trevor. You've reminded me that I must fit discs to my hydraulics.

My camping coach is an old old Tri-ang clerestory. It has Dean bogies, from an old K's 40ft passenger brake van, and will live in a siding at St Enodoc when that station is re-erected.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looking good Trevor. You've reminded me that I must fit discs to my hydraulics.

My camping coach is an old old Tri-ang clerestory. It has Dean bogies, from an old K's 40ft passenger brake van, and will live in a siding at St Enodoc when that station is re-erected.

The discs are held on with Tackywax John. I’ll source a set of Dean bogies for the clerestory. 

I expect I’ll run a few ‘funny’ trains in the future (Deltic, Scottish Class 37s - don’t ask!) and I’ve always hankered after a Single a few clerestories... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

The discs are held on with Tackywax John. I’ll source a set of Dean bogies for the clerestory. 

I expect I’ll run a few ‘funny’ trains in the future (Deltic, Scottish Class 37s - don’t ask!) and I’ve always hankered after a Single a few clerestories... 

Nothing wrong with a Scottish Class 37... 37 175 came down to Laira/St Blazey in 1986 fitted with self-steering bogies for trialling on the Fowey branch for a while.  Large logo livery...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Continuing with the 'scenery first fix' I've reached the signal box and station building. With the exception of the goods which I have a drawing for, the mock up buildings have been sized from photos. They are not quite right but near enough for the moment. The retaining wall around the 'box caused some head scratching but I got there eventually and I think it's about as right as it will ever be. The low wall along the platform is stone whereas that behind the 'box is brick . One assumes the brick part is a much later addition when space was needed for the new 'box.

Oddly (to me at least) the locking room of the signal box is actually built into the retaining wall. I didn't twig this at first and wondered why nothing looked right but massively zooming in on a corner of one of my Riley photos showed it. Then the penny dropped with something I couldn't work out on one of the photos of the part demolished station on the Cornwall Railway Society web site. A feature which I hadn't understood was in fact the back wall of the locking room still in use as the retaining wall.

When the time comes, the forecourt side of the station building will have to be a complete guess but as it will never normally be seen I'm not going to fret over it!

IMG_5785.jpeg.ffb7e1f03dcaccde514f3221e9bf95fa.jpeg

IMG_5786.jpeg.ded1c1a332e26e168677f34e2d7f3ee1.jpeg

• Like 12

On 28/08/2019 at 12:09, TrevorP1 said:

Back on the 1/76 version of Grampound Road I've just dealt with the coupling on my second KMRC Warship. The montage below should explain better than words but those who own one will know the original is very long, poking way out in front of the bufferbeam. My fix involved cutting back the pocket to about 2mm in front of the drop section, then slotting in a Bachmann short tension lock. The two then being drilled and pinned with a piece of brass rod. Lastly the ends of the tension lock were snipped off. I've also used Araldite to secure one and Plastic Weld on the other - I'm not sure if either will be effective but the pin should be all that is needed anyway. It can be seen that something like 5mm to 6mm has been saved. Although I hate tension locks they are expedient for me at the moment but the same idea could be used for many types of coupling.

Many thanks for this Trevor, I have one of these to do so your notes and photos will be very helpful.

• Thanks 1

On 07/09/2019 at 18:22, TrevorP1 said:

There are 3D prints available by Stafford Road Model Works on Shapeways of various wheelbases and styles. As with many 3D prints the finish is a bit rough but at least with coach bogies you can get away with this beneath a decent weathering job. I have some of these under both the new and old clerestories and the coaches ride a bit high, so some fettling of the join is necessary.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stafford_road_model_works

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

There are 3D prints available by Stafford Road Model Works on Shapeways of various wheelbases and styles. As with many 3D prints the finish is a bit rough but at least with coach bogies you can get away with this beneath a decent weathering job. I have some of these under both the new and old clerestories and the coaches ride a bit high, so some fettling of the join is necessary.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stafford_road_model_works

Thanks for the tip Martini. I have a set of Dean bogies on order from Shapeways  so I’ll make sure to check the ride height. 

A copy of ‘Camp Coach Holidays on the GWR arrived this morning. It looks very interesting. Another distraction :) It’s a good job I was able to retire early!

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Slowly things are beginning to look scarily like a railway with some progress on brickwork this week. With my masochistic head on I've decided to go for embossed brickwork on the platform edges and somehow I've managed to make the entire length of the platform as one piece without breaking it...  Now in primer it's propped into position for the photo and awaits painting and weathering. Before anyone asks I won't be painting the bricks individually! 

fullsizeoutput_1f68.jpeg.0e5b50f527e5dbb2678c0b50c2f97eb0.jpeg

Time for a gratuitous train shot. The loco, one of the earlier Bachmann Swindon Warships, has been made up from parts of several and given the identity D814 Dragon. I've done a few mods on it but noticed when I took the photo that I'd forgotten to fit the coupling. :rolleyes: The crew, who must be carrying out rule 55 in the 'box, have forgotten to change the headcode. The two (Mainline?) Siphons have been heavily weathered to disguise the weird livery they came in. Reasonably happy with the way the field looks in the background but the hedge above the loco needs adjusting. 

fullsizeoutput_1f6a.jpeg.6627589966f1e66735ebbf6f5a78a132.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Slowly things are beginning to look scarily like a railway with some progress on brickwork this week. With my masochistic head on I've decided to go for embossed brickwork on the platform edges and somehow I've managed to make the entire length of the platform as one piece without breaking it...  Now in primer it's propped into position for the photo and awaits painting and weathering. Before anyone asks I won't be painting the bricks individually! 

fullsizeoutput_1f68.jpeg.0e5b50f527e5dbb2678c0b50c2f97eb0.jpeg

Time for a gratuitous train shot. The loco, one of the earlier Bachmann Swindon Warships, has been made up from parts of several and given the identity D814 Dragon. I've done a few mods on it but noticed when I took the photo that I'd forgotten to fit the coupling. :rolleyes: The crew, who must be carrying out rule 55 in the 'box, have forgotten to change the headcode. The two (Mainline?) Siphons have been heavily weathered to disguise the weird livery they came in. Reasonably happy with the way the field looks in the background but the hedge above the loco needs adjusting. 

fullsizeoutput_1f6a.jpeg.6627589966f1e66735ebbf6f5a78a132.jpeg

Very nice Trevor. I wouldn't worry too much about the headcode. I've seen several photos where it doesn't match the train in question.

The Bachmann Warship crew are very good. I had some correspondence with Bachmann when I got my Kernow Warship to see if the Bachmann crew were available as spares. Unfortunately, they are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1