Richie Kynaston

Hi Richard,

I have a China 31 so might not be a perfect answer to your question, but I think it came out the same tool (someone might be able to confirm that is the case).

As a compare to some of the latest models I've taken a photo next to a new 37. You can see the headlights just a sticker, the handrails are not wire etc. But I am hoping it will still give a good starting point and with a little work make a nice model.

As for running I think here there are some differences to the original Poole chassis so I am not sure a review is much use to you, but for what it's worth it's reliable and quiet, but slower than any other of my stock.

post-31334-0-40186800-1538334533_thumb.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

The Bachmann reworked Poole diesel chassis ran very well. The old Farish 31 was good for shape but poor for detail. One odd anomaly is the way the side windows of the can don't line up very well. Look side-on and you can see the cab door is offset to the outer end. As the window area is a separate moulding it should be possible, in theory, to slice them off, add some extra to the corner pillar and take some off the inner end to bring the windows into proper alignment. Bit of a faff, but if you're going to do a proper detailing job on it it's best to put this error right before carving in things like the handrail recesses.

Edited by BernardTPM

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Well the old week off has gone somewhat awry as I came down with a chest infection which has kept me low, tired and not feeling like doing anything.  So my grand plans to get started on things almost fell apart at the start.  A friend was heading to the local timber merchants for some supplies for his home DIY project, so has has acquired some 5-ply for me for the shed baseboards, thats being dropped off tomorrow, so a start will hopefully be made Friday or Saturday depending on how I am feeling.

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way!

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear of your illness. I was wondering what (for example) length of MGR train you want to run, (with loads?) what gradient will it have to negotiate and will that gradient be on a curve. Please do a test to see if your locos can handle it. I run 36 wagon MGRs on Shirebrook and the trailing load increases significantly as the train rounds the 3ft radius curve  through the spoil heaps and some locos strain and that is on the level. A simple test may avoid many headaches and frustration further down the line, this may require a plan alteration but as has been said many times before it is simpler and cheaper to redraw than rebuild.

Cheers Get well soon :)

Thanks guys,

I am looking at 28-29 HAAs Duncan, but with long 7-10ft grades I think we should be ok (famous last words) but I will take your advice and do some tests before going very far.

I was hoping to get to a Toy and Train fayre last weekend with the aim of hopefully increasing the HAA fleet but alas this chest infection put pay to that. Another one end of the month tho I gather!

Richard

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Well everyone may have noticed I've gone a little quiet!  I thought I had better just put an update on here.  Having taken ages to recover from my chest infection, followed by other minor but totally knackering health issues, I finally seem to be on the mend.  But all the model railway plans have been totally disrupted with a house move on the horizon.  In one line of thought, it means I may get a heated room, or at least a proper loft conversion to use, on the other hand, I am somewhat concerned that the space will reduce, which will be a shame, given all the planning that has gone into EMC so far.

So, this project isn't dead, it is just on hold until its new home is decided.  I am eager to get on with things and was really happy with how things were working out.  So am somewhat disappointed to have this set back, but the positives are that it may end up better or more accessible than before.  I have specified that the new house should have a railway room that will NOT need to be converted for other purposes, somehow I suspect that requirement may get knocked off the 'must have' list!!

Richard
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:58, APOLLO said:

A very interesting and well illustrated book is British Rail at Work - East Midlands by John Gough published by Ian Allan ISBN No 0-7110-1521-X.

071101521X.jpg

A4 Hardback, nearly all photos are 1970 / 80's BR Blue, with comment maps and diagrams, it covers the area from Bedford north up to Sheffield , and Derby across to Skegness.

An interesting area and timeframe, best wishes for your layout.

Brit15

that book is like a bible! It's a fantastic piece of work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/12/2018 at 19:09, Richie Kynaston said:

Hi All,

Well everyone may have noticed I've gone a little quiet!  I thought I had better just put an update on here.  Having taken ages to recover from my chest infection, followed by other minor but totally knackering health issues, I finally seem to be on the mend.  But all the model railway plans have been totally disrupted with a house move on the horizon.  In one line of thought, it means I may get a heated room, or at least a proper loft conversion to use, on the other hand, I am somewhat concerned that the space will reduce, which will be a shame, given all the planning that has gone into EMC so far.

So, this project isn't dead, it is just on hold until its new home is decided.  I am eager to get on with things and was really happy with how things were working out.  So am somewhat disappointed to have this set back, but the positives are that it may end up better or more accessible than before.  I have specified that the new house should have a railway room that will NOT need to be converted for other purposes, somehow I suspect that requirement may get knocked off the 'must have' list!!

Richard

Just been there and done that. I now have less room for my O Gauge Seven Mills Sidings, but have made the best of a smaller space. A warm comfy room will always win. All the best and glad you've recovered now.