Class 31 Detail Differences (Headcode Box Fitted)

HullCityB17

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I've found a picture on Flickr post-TOPS that confirms the lack of a roof grille (I've tried to post a link but it keeps displaying the actual image which I know is against forum rules)

If it's a hotlinked image it is not against the rules.

If you wish to utilise images which users of image hosting services, such as Flickr, please use the share codes provided for each image so correct attribution can be give via the link. This is called embedding and is permissible, dependent on the image owners permissions that have been set on Flickr.

The original image never leaves Flickr, the forum software here loads it into your post from there. 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, yes, I've managed to find a few as 31 215 in blue, no headcode box or vent at the non-boiler end, extra headlights fitted inboard of the tail lights, plated over gangway doors. I've also found an image of the loco as 5639 in blue, no 'D' and centre logo but the loco appears to still have headcode boxes at both ends. So the critical question is at what point did it lose the headcode box at one end - preseumably connected to collision damage?

EDIT - I've found this image now too - suggesting that the mod may not have happened until the early 1980s

31215 [JC1-137]

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi

I've read through this thread with interest but couldn't see when the 31/4s were introduced? Does anyone know, I've not found that information anywhere else thus far.

Thanks, all the best,

CME

From 1972 onwards for the original batch - as the first ETH-only coaching stock was introduced.

• Thanks 1

The first 17 were put through the works before TOPS numbers were allocated, 418 and 419 were converted from what would have been 31104 and 31267 but before they were given TOPS numbers.

The first batch were allocated to ER sheds where there was a need for heating empty MK2d sets to and from depots (mostly to/from KX). This is the reason why they needed a ETH index of 66 - as a comparison 33s had an ETH index of 48 and 37/4 an index of 38.

By 1975 31420-424 had been converted - 425-436 in 1983, 437 to 463 in 1984, 464-468 in 1985, 469 in 1986 and 31400 in 1988

Edited by Bomag
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Thanks guys.

I understand that on the WR they were introduced in the late 1960s on empty coaching stock movements at Paddington (I'm not sure which variant)?

31/1 as the WR had a steam fitted fleet until 1973 (when the first Mk2e were delivered). If there was a 47/4 then it could heat dual heat stock on ETH but the WR Hydraulics were very much only steam heat only.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Baggies1961 said:

Can anyone help on the exact  location of the cab to shore radio plates on the roof? Apologies if I have missed this.

Cheers

Julian.

The low profile NRN antennas were located at the rear of the head code box. If you have a look at Class "31s".... Photos.... thread for June 4th, Montyburns56 posted a photo of the "Last Train from Corkickle Sidings 1994" (sorry, can't post a link from my mobile) and zoom in, it shows the antenna very well. 

Edited by iands
Smelling pistake
  • Thanks 1