Chesterton Road virtual quarry and service yard

Midnight-Freight

One thing that's now holding me up a bit is trying to decide whether to add in another point and small siding as per the pic. Initially this was going to be a 2 road tmd but I think using it as a general light maintenance shed for any loco or wagon makes more sense. Hence my idea of adding a small third siding behind the shed where a few wagons could be stored and shunted about. That being said I don't want to overdo the track and quite like the simplicity of 2 roads.

Any thoughts...?

post-25926-0-82994700-1545848661_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been plugging away doing bits and pieces when I have time. The rail sides on boards 2 and 3 have been painted with a mix of burnt umber and burnt sienna with a hint of black and the wooden sleeper points using just burnt umber. Next up to weather up the concrete sleepers once I'm happy with the effect.

I've tidied up the wiring a little and hopefully Postman Pat (probably not his/her real name) will deliver a package today enabling me to finish wiring the last few points.

I've also got the led's, resistors and wire to wire up the inspection pits which once done means I can finish laying the track on board 1, which in turn means I can start properly 'testing' the layout with trains.

Happy modelling

post-25926-0-74458000-1546681283_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've been working on the inspection pits for the last few days to enable me to finish laying the track.

First up they were given a quick coat of grey primer and an initial dark wash to weather them up a bit. I'll add a bit more weathering in the form of brown and black washes soon.

post-25926-0-94168000-1547155682_thumb.jpg

After watching DaveClass47 of Dean Park Station's video on You Tube of how he fitted lighting to his inspection pits I initially started following his method, as far as ordering the same 1.5mm axion led's and drilling 1.6mm holes in the sides of the pits. However I decided to put them opposite each other rather than alternating as he has. This is where I started to go off in a slightly different direction. I had already decided to wire them up in series as frankly once finally fitted if anything then went wrong whether they were wired in series or parallel would be the least of my concerns!

I knew I had some phosphor bronze strips left over from when I added extra pick-ups to my Bachmann 66 so I cut some lengths and glued them to the sides of the pits in between the holes for the led's. I then positioned the led's in their holes and held them in place with a small amount of glue. Once this was dry I carefully soldered the legs of the led's to the bronze strips. The next step was to solder red (+) and black (-) leads to the legs at either end, along with a resistor on the positive side.

post-25926-0-57301400-1547156110_thumb.jpg

Once this was done I tested all was working ok using a 9v battery before using some insulation tape to protect everything.

post-25926-0-62359000-1547156659_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-02767700-1547156845_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-38012000-1547156975_thumb.jpg

I'm really pleased with the effect. The light bleed wasn't as bad as it appears in the pic and has been dealt with so now these can be put in place and I can lay the last couple of pieces of track.

• Like 4

Final couple of pieces of track have been laid. Just waiting for the glue to dry then the rail sides can be painted, cosmetic sleepers added and droppers wired up to the bus wire and that brings everything to the same stage.

Whilst waiting I fixed the peco dummy point motors in place on extended sleepers. After much searching I'm pretty sure I got them in the right place!post-25926-0-89007200-1547305599_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great. I would never have even thought of spacing the sleepers but it makes a huge difference. Do you think I'd hit problems splitting the sleepers up on flexitrack which was formed in,say,a 2nd radius curve? I've always imagined the sleepers helped maintain the curve.

Thanks

Tim

Looks great. I would never have even thought of spacing the sleepers but it makes a huge difference. Do you think I'd hit problems splitting the sleepers up on flexitrack which was formed in,say,a 2nd radius curve? I've always imagined the sleepers helped maintain the curve.

Thanks

Tim

Thanks, it does make a big difference. I would never have thought to do it myself, it was layouts like Everard Junction and Oak Road that inspired me.

I'm sure it would be ok. I don't have any proper curves but it's glued down with pva and was weighted down for 24 hours to allow the glue to dry and it's pretty solid.

Thanks

Joe

The track is all now laid and wired up so the only sensible option was to get some trains out and do some 'testing'. As anyone will tell you this is one of the most important and time consuming parts of building a layout. All seems ok apart from a couple of places where my class 08 stalled but nothing major.

The Freightliner 66 is a recent acquisition, bought at a good price as it wasn't running properly. I think I've sorted it although it needs a decoder, which can wait.

I've started weathering up the concrete sleeper track with various grey and brown washes and a bit of burnt umber dry brushed on. I think it looks ok but not quite there yet. It's difficult to tell without any ballast, which is next on the list once I've settled on the ratio of 00 and N gauge that I want to use.

I also bough some dark rust colour weathering powder which I've been practising with to give the rail sides a slightly better look. Early signs are quite promising on my piece of test track although the difference is very subtle and almost unnoticeable.

Took a few pics while everything was out. I really need a better camera, or just start taking pictures in better light.

post-25926-0-26357900-1548018435_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-22425000-1548018446_thumb.jpg

post-25926-0-32998200-1548018459_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Groundwork continues with most of the concrete trunking in place, painted and weathered as well as the obligatory orange pipes beneath the tracks which still need toning down a bit. I've started adding in basic ground cover which is just sieved postcrete sprinkled on pva, wetted and allowed to dry and then washed over with various brown and black mixes. 

I've also sorted out a couple of track work niggles which only affected my class 08 so everything is running smoothly. More groundwork to be done and then I won't be far off starting to ballast. 

_20190203_164238.JPG

DSC_0554.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's slow but steady progress at the moment but I've made a start on the concrete hardstanding area around the servicing shed. 

I've also dusted some weathering pigments over the rail sides and sleepers which has given a nice effect. Just need to seal it all in and I'll make a start on ballasting in some areas. 

I also picked up a Dapol Freightliner HIA wagon. What a cracking model for just over £20. I realised it's also the first bit of stock I've bought new since I was a kid. Looking forward to getting a few more of these. 

_20190216_220451.JPG

_20190216_220541.JPG

Edited by Midnight-Freight
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Time for a bit of an update...

What with work, family time, managing my son's football team and training for a marathon it's not left a lot of time for modelling but I have made a fair bit of progress. 

I've done most of the ballasting with just a few bits to finish off before another dose of track and ballast weathering can commence. I've used Woodland Scenics brown in a roughly 50/50 mix of 00 and N gauge. One of the advantages of modelling a yard area is that it doesn't need to be perfectly neat, and in fact looks more realistic if it isn't. I've also added in a few more patches of ground cover using Woodland Scenics fine turf earth. 

DSC_0570.JPG

• Like 2

At the other end I've also almost finished the hard standing area where the service shed will be. 

I decided against using the filler method as previously as I found it difficult to achieve a finish I was happy with and found I couldn't get trains to run perfectly after all the sanding and painting. So this time I built up the area using match sticks of which I had a big bag full. On top of this two layers of thin card were used to give a flat surface. The concrete 'slabs' were then made using cereal box card doubled up with weathered concrete sheets downloaded from scalescenes.com which I then gave a couple of coats of Halfords matt lacquer. The fence is the Wills SSM316 kit which has been primed and given a couple of coats of galv silver spray. It's just temporarily placed to give a feel for how the area will look. The small enclosed area behind the main service shed area will probably be a slightly overgrown storage compound with a container and various items of detailing added. 

_20190413_123304.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a bit of an update methinks. When time is short in supply and you're only able to spend a few minutes here and there it doesn't feel like much progress is being made but looking at my last update it's surprising how much has changed. All my efforts have been concentrated on the left hand board where the maintenance shed is. I've made the small fenced compound behind the shed as well as finishing the fencing around the shed itself. Some basic ground cover has been added which will be added to with more greenery. The track by the side of the rails will lead to another small compound containing some sort of equipment. I've also added a 2 aspect signal which will probably just be controlled with a 2 way switch rather than having dcc control as it's more for effect than operational purposes and will mostly be showing red. 

On the backscene behind the Freightliner 66 I'm in the early stages of creating a very low relief office block which will be based on the Scalescenes T007 download. 

Any thoughts or comments welcome. 

_20190616_101446.JPG

_20190616_101331.JPG

_20190616_101036.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A couple more pics with current progress. I've finished the low relief office building which forms the backdrop of the first board. I've also almost finished the shipping container site office kit from Scale model scenery. It's been painted and I've cobbled together a few items of furniture and added lighting which I'll add pics of when complete. Other than that the only other thing I've been doing is making a few bushes to add some more greenery to the layout. 

_20190718_100617.JPG

_20190718_100505.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've moved to the other end of the layout to try and bring everything up to a similar point. This meant making a start on the virtual quarry area and trying to model large ballast heaps. After a bit of research I've opted for using expanding foam as it's fairly easy to work with, and light. As in the pics I've started roughly cutting and shaping it and it's beginning to look the right shape. Still a long way to go and presumably it will néed filling and final sanding but it's looking promising so far. 

DSC_0622.JPG

• Like 1

I also own a few pristine wagons along with an EWS livery Class 08 which although lovely don't look very authentic. Now I've never attempted any weathering before so no way was I going to start on the locomotive but a second hand Hornby MHA wagon I wasn't quite so concerned about. 

So with no real idea what I was doing I set about trying to fade the paintwork a bit with a white wash and dry brushing hybrid technique. It sort of worked and sort of didn't so I then tried making it look a bit more grubby by just dry brushing burnt umber over the body and chassis. I then painted the inside using burnt umber and then before it dried brushed on some dark rust pigment. To my surprise it actually doesn't look too bad for a first attempt. Still more to do but I think it's passable. 

_20190808_182705.JPG

_20190808_182726.JPG

• Like 4