Chesterton Road virtual quarry and service yard

Midnight-Freight

4 hours ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Thanks for the tip. Do you allow it to dry for a period of time or wipe it straight off? 

Straight off. I’d practice on some old stuff first of course though. Used it on many freight wagons with reasonable success .

• 1 month later...

I've been working on the third board some more. The ballast piles have been shaped and covered with ballast as well as the surrounding area. This is almost complete but may benefit from a touch of weathering, weeds etc. The tarmac area is what will be the car-park for a small office building. This was made from shed roofing felt I had laying around which has been given a black wash. Still work to be done to blend it in but I think it looks ok. 

I've also knocked up a different road bridge to act as a scenic break. This was meant to just be a trial to see how it would look and has been constructed using 1mm card but it's pretty sturdy and I may well keep it. I've since filled and sanded the gaps and primed it. Next to try and achieve the concrete finish I'm looking for. 

_20191004_214301.JPG

_20191006_115642.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've done a bit more work on the small parking area for the yet to be built office building. It started off as a piece of shed roofing felt which was painted with a black wash. I've added some ground scatter to blend it in with the surrounding area and installed a rail crossing, which still needs some work. 

The pics show the barrier I am adding around the car park which is a piece off 00 rail with short lengths of solid copper wire soldered on to make the 'legs'. It's been primed and is awaiting a final colouring. 

_20191017_195651.JPG

_20191027_210443.JPG

_20191027_210504.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've had a huge loss of modelling mojo for the last few months. I kept looking at the layout but couldn't inspire myself to do anything and couldn't work out why. I was looking at the hardstanding area where the shed is and wasn't completely happy with it. It didn't look too bad but wasn't perfectly flat and locos kept stalling on it. Before I knew it I had started ripping it up and within half an hour or so it was gone and cleaned up and I suddenly felt a sense of relief. I managed to only cause minor damage to the surrounding security fencing. I'm using 2mm card to build the area up to be completely flat and then will probably use the scale model scenery mdf kit which I'll have to chop around a bit but hopefully it can be sanded to get a perfect fit. As can be seen in the other pic I've added a bit of straw colour static grass as I start to build up the areas which will be overgrown and unkempt. Feeling a bit more positive now so hopefully things will start to move in the right direction again. 

DSC_0666.JPG

_20191208_172213.JPG

Edited by Midnight-Freight
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

With being stuck at home most of the time it has at least allowed me to spend some time on the layout. 

I opted for the Scale Model Scenery hardstanding kit for the depot area which had to be cut and shaped to fit the track layout. It was quite an easy kit to work with and could be cut and sanded without too much effort. It's not perfect but a bit of detailing here and there will hide the couple of joins which aren't quite right. 

I've added a few other bits of detail such as containers (also from Scale Model Scenery) and a few other bits of junk which is slowly starting to bring the scene together. 

I've also made a basic interior for the depot office. 

I've done a bit more work at the other end, starting to improve the appearance of the road bridge as well as using some left over from the hardstanding kit which will be the base on which the office building will sit. I'm not sure whether to scratch build this or just use the Bachmann offering which after checking measurements would sit on the available space perfectly. 

_20200329_154938.JPG

_20200329_154729.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Midnight-Freight said:

New video uploaded where I add a bit more interest to the virtual quarry scene with some office container buildings from Scale Model Scenery. Still a bit more to do but makes it a bit more interesting.

Good little video!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 16:26, rob D2 said:

Cool.

its very satisfying to shunt a few wagons about I find. Great stress buster !

Yeah definitely, but only on the odd occasion when the 08 doesn't stutter or derail on a set of points it's never had a problem with as it did in filming! 

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress on the layout of late apart from a bit of greenery added here and there and some initial planning of the office building.

I have purchased a new loco however. It's another Bachmann 66 this time in the striking Aggregate Industries livery which is currently on offer with a few suppliers along with a DCC Concepts Zen black decoder with it's 'one step set up' feature.

_20200619_180335.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...