sem34090

Well from what I have seen online the boiler has gone back in which suggests close - once the boiler ticket is counting down you want to get the engine finished as quick as possible. But when she will steam who knows? My Dad woked on A2 60532 Blue Peter in the late 80's early 90's and he always said "it would be ready by Easter" just wouldn't say WHICH easter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems, from postings on other forums that one of the S15's -506- is quite close to completion. Does anyone know just how close it is?

These are photos, that I took on September 25th, show the boiler being lowered onto the frames using the steam crane. It's obviously no simple job as those guys were working at it for all the time that we were there, and that was most of the day.

David

post-7014-0-29506600-1538250696_thumb.jpg

post-7014-0-45658600-1538250711_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So, the day of the Autumn gala is upon us! I'm looking forward to my turn on the platform at Medstead tomorrow - all day at the top of the 1 in 60, with steam locos every few moments! And I owe the wagon group a donation...

So, following the busy day at the gala Yesterday, it'll be back to the standard two train timetable on Tuesday... Not sure what is rostered though. It's a false hope, given loco shortages at their own railways, but it'd be lovely to have one or both of the Western visitors running, assuming that they don't leave on Monday.

I had a great day at the Gala yesterday, thanks to all involved in its planning and operation. The tour of Ropley sheds was interesting too, the amount of work involved in restoring locos and stock, and therefore the dedication of those responsible, is quite incredible.

• RMweb Gold

I popped down to the line on Sunday. Wasn't intending to do any more than have a ride up and down but ended up spending quite a while at Ropley watching trains go by (as if I don't do enough of that on a much smaller scale!) 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What happened to Wadebridge? The railway had just bought it when I stopped going there, I think. Guess that was a while back...

It's boiler ticket ran out in 2016, so it's now in the queue for overhaul. I think it might be a while though as the MHR has quite a list of locos waiting their turn in the shed!

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

41312, 76017, 925 & 92212? Although the 9F can't be far off coming out of service?

I guess with 506 & Swanage nearing the end of their overhauls, and Lord Nelson not expected to take too long to get back up & running, they won't be that low on motive power for very long. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

When I was there they were down to 2 or 3. I remember one day that I think they had 73096 on one train and 33208 pushing "Douglas" around on the other because Bodmin (the other full sized runner at the time) was broken in some fashion.

Shortly after that they had loads because the Ivatt, 9F, 35005 and Bittern became available.

If I remember correctly, the loco allocation will be changing as follows in the immediate future:

506 planned to enter service either at the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

9F is coming out next year.

34105 is hopefully back next year.

850 is planned to be back in 2020.