sem34090

I note that the removal of shrubs and trees from the embankment near the bridge in question has revealed the remains of Butts Junction signal box- most of the first 'storey'.

I had wondered where the 'box was located and had assumed it was completely demolished years ago. It was of course the junction for the Basingstoke & Alton Light Railway and the Meon Valley line.      

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2019 at 14:38, Barcaldinegoods said:

I note that the removal of shrubs and trees from the embankment near the bridge in question has revealed the remains of Butts Junction signal box- most of the first 'storey'.

I had wondered where the 'box was located and had assumed it was completely demolished years ago. It was of course the junction for the Basingstoke & Alton Light Railway and the Meon Valley line.

Until about a year ago there was a lot more of the box but the new bridge will result in it disappearing completely so the bricks have been carefully removed so they can perform a new, useful task in the future.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Spring Steam Gala takes place on 8th,9th and 10th March with two visiting locomotives joining the home fleet.

The visitors are:-

 Southern Railway USA Class Tank No. 300 Frank S. Ross in Longmoor Military

Railway Lined Blue Livery, courtesy of the Kent & East Sussex Railway Company Ltd

and the Kent & East Sussex Loco Trust Ltd

 Ex-London Transport Pannier Tank L92, courtesy of the Worcester Locomotive

Society and South Devon Railway.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mid Hants Railway reopened for services today with 4MT Mogul 76017 and Ivatt 2MT Tank 41312 in service. Next week will see 41312 replaced with the 2H DEMU Unit No.1125 - If you are looking to travel please note that until July all services will originate from Alresford and will terminate at Medstead & Four Marks.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The Mid Hants Railway reopened for services today with 4MT Mogul 76017 and Ivatt 2MT Tank 41312 in service. Next week will see 41312 replaced with the 2H DEMU Unit No.1125 - If you are looking to travel please note that until July all services will originate from Alresford and will terminate at Medstead & Four Marks.

It was quite weird popping into M4M at 2pm today to see the 4MT sitting at the down main starter (#4). Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait to watch it depart as I had to rush off...

Even stranger driving into Alton from the A339 and seeing the huge gap where the bridge and embankment used to be though - it's changed a lot in just a couple of weeks...

Edited by Nick C

Ah, well if you popped in you probably saw a scruffy young lad wandering around bemusedly, possibly eating chips... ;) 

It's taking quite some getting used to, and we would like to try and establish some more 'passenger entertainment' to fill the 35 minute wait at Medstead.

Amazing how many people asked us if the train was going to Alton - My usual answer was "I don't think the highways agency would appreciate us dropping a mangled mess of 2MT/4MT in the middle of Her Majesty's highway."

Edited by sem34090

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Off we go to another shift... :)

IMG_20190218_072634.jpg.f5ae46ead7b975bacb7f5ec84896d941.jpg

See you at Medstead and Four Marks when the first train arrives, I am TTI on it today and TTI on the DMMU on Friday, if the RMT strike doesn't stop me getting to Alresford! 

Today was rather... soggy...

And I hope for all your sakes that Mr Chris above doesn't subject you to my visage, as captured earlier... Amusing though I gather the photo was!

Just remember - I have one of you... ;) Even though one can't tell it's you...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Today was rather... soggy...

And I hope for all your sakes that Mr Chris above doesn't subject you to my visage, as captured earlier... Amusing though I gather the photo was!

Just remember - I have one of you... ;) Even though one can't tell it's you...

You have just reminded me that I have a nice photo of you welcoming passengers to Medstead and Four Marks Station at the booking office. 

IMG_20190218_154654.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

:O

Bloody Hell that's terrifying!!!

Meanwhile, back in the office...

IMG_20190219_113455.jpg.5e3dae69d2604d096247950422048891.jpg The above gentleman, seen in his natural habitat... He tried very hard to escape the camera lense...

IMG_20190218_155946.jpg.ee8dca63a90ddd90a9b14254f328dba2.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lovely sunny pics, great to see them, it's too long since I was last at the Mid Hants, bit of a long haul from Norn Iron, shame we're not getting any of that lovely weather too!

Makes me appreciate the pics all the more, very idyllic. 

Cheers, 

Keith 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Medstead is that, if it's anything, and that view is my favourite of the station.

Standing on that spot it is possible, just for a moment, to suspend the present and feel like one is in 1948. Even more so if one takes the shot on a black and white film camera, as I have done in the past.

From that spot there are just enough trees to muffle the sounds of modernity (traffic on the A31, nearby powertools, etc) and just hear the sound of No.925 hammering up the bank with that nice 3-cylinder beat, the birdsong carrying across the vista and the only other person in sight being another staff member (not in this case, but sometimes). It's silly and a bit romantic, but it feels timeless. And, as you say, idyllic.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few pics from yesterday's Spring Steam Gala at the Mid Hants:

IMG_5059.jpg

A view down the line from the Queen Mary brake van on the rear of the demonstration freight train.

IMG_5064.jpg

Visiting USA class LMR No. WD300 from the K&ESR at Medstead & Four Marks

IMG_5067.jpg

Ivatt class 2 41312 arriving at Medstead.

IMG_5047.jpg

WD 300 awaiting departure from platform 1 at Alresford

Edited by MrTea
Added captions.
  • Like 3