sem34090

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2019 at 19:39, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm only allowed to upload 10mb it seems so that's it

I got the same message.

Does anyone know what the limit is applied to - thread? post? account? I haven't seen it appear before.

• 3 weeks later...

And so on with another shift!

I shall be serving the needs of visitors to Medstead and Four Marks today, tomorrow, Wednesday, Saturday and next Wednesday (17th). 

Now at Brookwood.

Edited by sem34090
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

And I shall be doing the same tomorrow, also! 

I don't know whether this is to advise people to come to the railway or whether it's a dissuading notice... 

Probably the latter. :P

Well, another day brings another turn!

Today also sees our service 3 timetable in operation, the roster being 41312, 76017 and the Class 47 James Nightall G. C. As such there will be three trains in operation, the first arriving at Medstead at 10:55 and departing at 11:10 -

Screenshot_2019-05-04-06-53-17.png.93f154a95b57cd83036340d709dc5094.png

Tomorrow sees timetable 2+H in operation, with Hampshire unit No.1125 replacing the 47 on the roster. The timetable is as follows, the first train arriving at Medstead at 10:50 with departure at 11:00 -

Screenshot_2019-05-04-08-26-59.png.61441c09ad43060fe051403e16a75ecc.png

Monday sees a return to Service 2 with 41312 and 76017 still on the roster.

Screenshot_2019-05-04-08-31-12.png.3c4b76ba33d045ca36a0a7620d1e4bc7.png

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday see 925  Cheltenham stretching her wheels on Service 1.

Screenshot_2019-05-04-08-33-07.png.761784b591042051d7c855ea961c6890.png

Naturally, with only a limited pool of locos to choose from the Locos in service on the day may differ from those advertised. The company also reserves the right to alter the times of trains from those advertised.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A surprisingly easy drive from Cardiff got me to Alresford in plenty of time for the 1030 yesterday, did a round trip to Medstead behind each loco and then the 47 to Ropley for the Ivatt straight back. First visit for over 4 years. The stations were looking very smart, but the trains didn't seem very busy.

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today marks the relaunch into traffic of LSWR S15 No.506, resplendent in her newly applied Wartime Black.

IMG_20190602_110334.jpg.4aeadc7b6b9f7a3ddd7e89144570f7b7.jpg

IMG_20190602_105723.jpg.81ba525b3303b7e1654883feba285675.jpg

IMG_20190602_105641.jpg.a194b2ae2aa855c9f6e38c6e8db9b7f2.jpg

As is often the case, I can be found on the platform at Medstead and Four Marks.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I saw you sem34090? But managed to make it down for the afternoon today. 

Missed out on a ride behind 506 but did catch her at Alresford looking rather splendid. 

E8859AAC-184D-4431-A585-FF873678234D.jpeg

E9579F00-8079-497B-B138-BD9D18C8A514.jpeg

• Like 10

41312 was in use a lot back when I was volunteering up there, I always liked it. And 506 looks excellent - that unlined black/ sunshine lettering paint scheme is one of my favourites.

Whilst I'm here, the loco I used to volunteer on at the MHR was D22/ 45132, and those of a non-anti-diesel disposition who remember it might be interested to know that it's very near to pulling a train again at its new home (the Epping Ongar Railway). It's been started several times and has moved under its own power in the yard at North Weald.

• Informative/Useful 1

So, another weekend and another special event! This time it is the Summer War on the Line event.

A special, extended, timetable is in operation for this event and I expect No.506 will be in service (though no official information has been released to this effect).

image.png.74fce269d77a011ea9f56dafe2e609e5.png

There are many displays and activities around the railway, as detailed below -

Alresford

- US Military presence.

-Dance floor with dancers (Front of Station)

- Second hand stall. (Front of Station)

- American Naval patrol point (Front of Station Building) 

- Royal Air Force Association (Corner of Car Park)

- Russian lorry (Front of Lock-Up)

- Vintage ice cream van (Front of Station)

- Russian supply display and encampment (Cattle Dock)

- Arms and militaria display (Picnic Area)

- Royal British Legion (End of Platform 1)

- Tea and coffee bar. (Goods Shed)

- “And over here.” Display of the story of the US 47th regiment stationed in Alresford during WW2. (Goods Shed) 

- Movietone News Cinema, showing short newsreels from 1939 -45 (Goods Shed)

- Sales stalls - Militaria (Goods Shed)

- Display of wartime Radar equipment (Goods Shed)

Ropley

- Period British vehicles parked. (Station Car Park)

- Vintage fire engines and lorries. (Station Car Park) 

- Charity and trade stalls (Car Park)

- Miniature Railway running both days.

- Pearl’s Pin up Parlour - beauty salon (Up Platform Waiting Room)

- Display of Knitted Poppies along the slope to the picnic area.

- Bomb Disposal demonstrations will also take place throughout the event on Ropley picnic area, by the footbridge.

- Glen Miller Tribute Band, Gazebo to the left of the T Junction will play throughout the day.

- British Re enactor groups providing static displays in picnic areas. 

- Military Radio tent at far end. (Picnic Area)

- Military police checkpoint on path to King’s Cross Bridge

- Home guard display in Orchard.

- Traders in Orchard area Top Car Park

- Make do and Mend – hands on activities throughout the day. (Education Room)

- Period film clips (Education Room) 

- Children’s activities - colour your allied flag (Education Room)

- Baking Belles tea and cake (Booking Hall)

- Heritage milliner and Chaps of Distinction. (Down Platform)

Medstead & Four Marks

- Singer – ‘May Blossom’ Saturday / Becki Short Sunday

- RAF plotting Room - display and demonstrations featuring the D Day operation. (Goods Store on Up Platform) 

- Displays on the theme of The Home Front.

- Bombed out Shop (Down Platform Shelter.)

- Small number of vintage vehicles.

- Vintage uniformed Brownies and Guides (Down platform.)

- Ruth the Washerwoman - Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday (Up Platform)

- 1918 Ruston Proctor steam tractor (Yard)

- Goodwin Barsby stone crusher. (Yard)

- ARP display - fun with stirrup pumps and water (Station forecourt.)

- Trade stalls

I shall be on platform duty at Medstead tomorrow (as on most Saturdays!!!) for what promises to be a busy event! I've never actually attended the Summer War on the Line event so it should be interest for me.

Unfortunately there is no parking available on the Station forecourt at Medstead.

Edited by sem34090

I would, but it's been advised that we, as operational staff, don't do that as we are there to run the railway not to reenact wartime characters. My personal opinion is that we at Medstead would probably not bother carrying one at all times as the risk of gas attack in such a rural part of Hampshire would have been quite low, unless the attack missed Basingstoke, and there are several kept in the booking office which could be very easily reached in case of emergency. ;)

• Informative/Useful 1

Well, today seems to have gone well and the railway was certainly busy! The rain doesn't seem to have put many people off and it was quite spectacular that the vast majority turned out in period costume with some very smartly turned out ladies (and, naturally, gentlemen too I am obliged to add!). I must say I felt especially sorry for the four young ladies who turned up on a train from Alresford to have a picnic only for the heavens to open - A lack of room led to them having to picnic under the footbridge!

The various displays all seem to have gone down well with the public and, again, it would seem the rain didn't dampen many people's spirits and a good day seemed to have been had by all!

Meanwhile...

IMG_20190615_171845.jpg.97ce2271e873d249f3e61cb3eb9c19e0.jpg

I thought I would offer an appropriate explanation for the lack of trains to Alton!

And finally the resplendent No.506!

IMG_20190615_152849.jpg.7980f48a73cd7a5875c70018a0687ee5.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

It's amusing and quite pleasing at the same time - It makes a change for it not just to be us on the staff who are wearing period appropriate clothing. 

There were far more in period civilian dress than in military dress, I'd reckon. Certainly for us at Medstead, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1