Round class 37 buffers

hoovernut

Can anyone point in the direction of a supplier of round buffers for a Bachmann class 37. I need to swap them out from oval to round. I believe they are 3.77mm wide. I would prefer metal ones if possible.

Thanks in advance

Mick

There used to be round brass ones available, A1 / Howes etc, or the SLW 24 option would probably be the better option if a bit more expensive.......Red shanks O/S at present more due later this year...but black available........

https://www.railexclusive.com/products.php?pg=2

• RMweb Premium

Has the 37 got the buffer valance which they carried up until the 80s.? If so any buffer with a square base needs its base removed. Can't fit a square peg in a round 'ole, so I am told.

MTK ones are good, they are plastic and it is easy to remove the square base. They are an excellent plastic moulding. Not sure if Chris at Precision Paints has any more left.

Markits do turned chemically blackened brass Oelo buffer, that is a wee bit harder to file off the base.

There have been various white metal buffers over the years some quite round others two semi circles on top of each other but not in line.

I even have a couple of old J&M brass turned sets and they come without basses. They are reserved for a couple of my Baby Deltics I have been building for ....not too sure how long.

Are Bachmann 25 or 47 buffers available as spares. Heljan 47 buffers? 

• 5 months later...

On my early 37's I've fitted what I think was a brass Oleo from A1. It has to slide into the valance, and so I seem to remember filing off a lip at the base, I then chemically blackened the whole thing to help with painting.

The buffers I used weren't sprung by the way.

John.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...