'Freightliner' new livery - but what shade of orange?

dibber25

At first sight, you might think this topic is in the wrong place. I thought about putting it under UK discussions (mods can move it if they wish) but I thought the photo of 'foreign rubbish' might cause offence. Anyway, it does have a UK relevance because this picture shows two locos in Genessee & Wyoming livery - the new Freightliner colour scheme. Bearing in mind how endlessly shades of colours on models are debated as 'right' or 'wrong' - here are two painted for the same company, in the same country, and yet the shade of orange differs. It may be - and probably is - a case that 3012's paint is older and has faded or could it be that two different workshops have applied different shades? - 3410 is a Huron Central loco and 3012 is Ottawa Valleys Railway. Sorry if the photo is not great, it is a massive blow-up shot at long distance from my hotel window. Thanks to high fences and lots of full sidings, that was as close as I could get. (CJL)

post-1062-0-10926900-1537952866_thumb.jpg

The "faded" one looks nicer to my eyes, so that's what I'd match.

Must get myself a G&W Geep someday, actually.

There's an Atlas GP40-2 in this livery (but badged for NECR) on pre-order at Model Junction but Atlas is one of the ranges affected by the sudden factory closure in China so there's no clue as to when or if it might be delivered. I will be having a go at painting them as I've already got a sheet of decals. The two locos I saw at Sudbury looked a lot smarter than any CP or CNR units that I saw. Some of the CN ones were in an awful state. (CJL)

Here are a few pics that might help. Scroll about 1/3rd of the way down on the CRO (1st) link and you'll see how the orange changes under paint shop lights and in daylight. I wouldn't worry about a bit of variation. And bear in mind that the sun fades paint faster even in southern Ontario at 44-45 deg N compared to the UK.  

https://canadianrailwayobservations.com/RESTRICTED/2014/January/shortlines.php

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132395721@N08/33671455265

http://www.railpictures.ca/upload/it-is-a-muggy-morning-this-1st-of-september-2015-as-gexr-432-prepares-to-depart-kitchener-for-cns-macmillan-yard-in-vaughan-today-was-the-first-time-i-saw-the-second-of-the-two-gatx-blue-and-white

Pete

Edited by GP9u

Hello people

Not forgetting all the things (even contrast with background) that can change the appearance of colour, but what looks weird in CJL's photo is that the cab and short hood of 3012 look (at least to me on my monitor) to be a different shade of orange to the long hood and closer in shade to 3410. Has the cab had an extra clean or paint (perhaps a repair needed)?

Hello people

Not forgetting all the things (even contrast with background) that can change the appearance of colour, but what looks weird in CJL's photo is that the cab and short hood of 3012 look (at least to me on my monitor) to be a different shade of orange to the long hood and closer in shade to 3410. Has the cab had an extra clean or paint (perhaps a repair needed)?

Looks like a repaint. I have a feeling I've seen photos of an HC loco off the road - maybe it was that one. (CJL)

Looks like a repaint. I have a feeling I've seen photos of an HC loco off the road - maybe it was that one. (C

Hello people

Good spotting! The cab of 3012 does seem a darker orange in the 2014/2105 pics here, but looks to be the lighter shade matching the long hood in 2012 and earlier pics:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?road_number=HCRY%203012

Edited by GP9u