Smoke Ash & Steam

steve fay

Nevertheless great results Steve.

Depending on budget and requirements there are some great ABs out there now and not always the ones in the shiny ads.

Lovely ground work Steve.

I agree with CME about airbrushes. Most of my weathering and painting where an airbrush is used is done through a cheap AB airbrush from a company called 'Everything Airbrush'.

I don't think any of my airbrushes cost any more than £30. I use three, two suction feed ones for main colours and a gravity feed one for the smaller detail weathering/painting.

I also have a bigger spray gun, which is used for painting larger units such as diesel locos and coaches.

You don't half get on with stuff, I wish I had the drive for my own layout that you do.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

My approach with ABs, is VFM so Eg. I have two cracking H&S ABs that are less in price than one mid/upper range Iwata. I have a Sparmax dual action trigger/handle airbrush for larger jobs. Recently there is decent brand of budget airbrush become available loaded with features for about £45 with good spares availability too, I would have been tempted by those too, if they had been out earlier.

And, yet, more often than, not like, Steve, I will use rattle cans for primer and basecoats and brushes for detail weathering along with powders - for me its all about appropriateness.

• Like 2

The main bulk of the ground cover is kiln dried sand

Coming along nicely Steve.

I don't suppose it matters too much ( and I don't want to start anyone off on the pros and cons ! ) but by using this method do you find it produces more baseboard noise when running, mind you having said that I ain't mainline running so not too much rumble.

G

Edited by bgman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...