Smoke Ash & Steam

steve fay

On 02/11/2018 at 15:05, steve fay said:

post-5983-0-25301500-1541185369_thumb.jpeg sanding and talc

Hi Steve

I've been catching up on this thread of yours, great work.

I would guess that the sand is glued in place with the tried and tested PVA, a feww drops of washing-up liquid and water, is this correct ? What did you use to stick the talcum powder ?

Regards

Yes just like that! Talc is fixed in the same way, 

you will need to mist over the talc and glue with water to cover it all, 

I also mix talc and paint to form

a paste that can be painted over the sand in areas to achieve a similar look. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Printed back scene gone! More bubbles than an Aero! Going back to the original plan for an industrial back drop. 

Richard Thomas & Baldwin’s was a well known name in South Wales steel making. 

5DDC39B9-B9CD-466C-81B5-9F2FD5010DF1.jpeg

035E6716-A256-401D-9487-DD6081D89C9F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Oh dear ! Sorry to hear about the bubble invasion Steve still, onwards and upwards eh ? 

Going off off at a tangent can I ask whether you've tried removing any of the printed lettering or numbering off a Heljan loco ? 

If you have what "safe" method did you use ? 

If you haven't do you happen to know of anyone who did as I have now got the 43xx and would like to renumber the buffer beam and replace the GWR lettering on the tender of my new acquisition.

I'm aware of the careful use of a cocktail stick, isopropyl and also car products, I just wondered before attempting it.

cheers

Grahame

10 hours ago, bgman said:

Oh dear ! Sorry to hear about the bubble invasion Steve still, onwards and upwards eh ? 

Going off off at a tangent can I ask whether you've tried removing any of the printed lettering or numbering off a Heljan loco ? 

If you have what "safe" method did you use ? 

If you haven't do you happen to know of anyone who did as I have now got the 43xx and would like to renumber the buffer beam and replace the GWR lettering on the tender of my new acquisition.

I'm aware of the careful use of a cocktail stick, isopropyl and also car products, I just wondered before attempting it.

cheers

Grahame

I removed the early BR crest off the tender using thinners and cotton buds,  

it takes some time as they are spot printed and not transfers.  

You may need to repaint the front buffer beam as there’s a good chance you’ll remove some of the red paint especially around rivet heads. 

Edited by steve fay
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, steve fay said:

I removed the early BR crest off the tender using thinners and cotton buds,  

it takes some time as they are spot printed and not transfers.  

You may need to repaint the front buffer beam as there’s a good chance you’ll remove some of the red paint especially around rivet heads. 

Thank you Steve that's very useful, I did suspect that they are tampo type print as are other manufacturers applied details.

Cheers

G

Early September 1964, I popped down the shed as 4079 Pendennis Castle was due on for servicing after bringing in a railtour from Worcester. 
Word is there’s a new loco being allocated to Marches Road, apparently it’s being called a Teddy Bear ?? 
See Minerva’s latest news update.

9D989D0C-DD71-47A7-A872-DB6403A3A86F.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 hours ago, steve fay said:

Early September 1964, I popped down the shed as 4079 Pendennis Castle was due on for servicing after bringing in a railtour from Worcester. 
Word is there’s a new loco being allocated to Marches Road, apparently it’s being called a Teddy Bear ?? 
See Minerva’s latest news update.

9D989D0C-DD71-47A7-A872-DB6403A3A86F.png

That looks fantastic 

Corrugated card arrived today for the steel works back drop 

The opening I have cut out of the brick and corrugated sheets will have double doors as I intend to add a Canton style footbridge.  

9BE57915-12C3-4741-A41E-0C688216165B.jpeg

05C807C0-01D7-4AD6-82C1-475DCC5C1437.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1