Smoke Ash & Steam

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

I'm just starting a 7mm MR shed layout and so far have made the baseboards with 6mm birch ply tops. I'm aiming to lay the track straight onto the ply, as I think you have done, and then use your methods of ballasting and I'd like to ask whether you seal the ply before laying the track and if so, what do you use? I wondered whether it would risk damaging the surface of the ply just to place the sand on top and then spray with thinned PVA without sealing the surface first.

Excellent modelling by the way. I hope that I can get anywhere near your realism.

Dave

• Like 1

I would seal the ply with a few coats of gloss varnish or an MDF sealant. 

I didn’t on this one and I’ve had some movement,

luckily Ive tested it all out and I’ve not had any issues. 

Shed track work Wasn’t exactly well looked after but you don’t want any derailments.  

Shed and coaling stage roof added this evening 

4A5F70C1-09BE-42A2-8F4E-22E0B3D0CFDF.jpeg

75FD7221-6321-4AE1-A670-C3920DF090C7.png

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Steve. I think that you have achieved about the best rendition of shed trackwork and accompanying grot that I've ever seen so your advice is much appreciated.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2019 at 22:06, Dave Hunt said:

Steve,

I'm just starting a 7mm MR shed layout and so far have made the baseboards with 6mm birch ply tops. I'm aiming to lay the track straight onto the ply, as I think you have done, and then use your methods of ballasting and I'd like to ask whether you seal the ply before laying the track and if so, what do you use? I wondered whether it would risk damaging the surface of the ply just to place the sand on top and then spray with thinned PVA without sealing the surface first.

Excellent modelling by the way. I hope that I can get anywhere near your realism.

Dave

Always best to at least seal saw cuts, especially if the layout is in a garage, a coat of sealer or paint all over helps too. If you lay cork atop the ply it saves the ply for future projects if you want to use the boards again.

Hope that helps.

Atvb

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks CME. After advice from Steve and others I've decided to go with an allover coat of thinned waterproof PVA followed by a coat of grey paint. As far as cork is concerned, I reckon that the layout will probably take me a good few years to complete and since I'm 72 I doubt that I'll be concerned with reusing the boards! My good friend the late David Jenkinson would have described the present undertaking as the last great project.

Cheers

Dave  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, steve fay said:

Base is kiln dried sand,  I also add talc

for a compacted ash look,  I spray the whole lot Matt black and weather with powders and paint mixed with talc 

Steve,

That's very helpful. I think I have some kiln-dried sand in the garage of the type for brushing into block-surfaced driveways.

Regards,

Charles

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/05/2019 at 22:08, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks CME. After advice from Steve and others I've decided to go with an allover coat of thinned waterproof PVA followed by a coat of grey paint. As far as cork is concerned, I reckon that the layout will probably take me a good few years to complete and since I'm 72 I doubt that I'll be concerned with reusing the boards! My good friend the late David Jenkinson would have described the present undertaking as the last great project.

Cheers

Dave  

I fully understand Dave, my layout will be of a similar nature. I was lucky enough to exchange a few letters with DJ, as I was one of Jack Ray's many pen pals.

22 minutes ago, steve fay said:

Parting company with the my diesels,

still have falcon and D1000 available if any one is interested  

Sorry to hear that Steve, I must have missed a Post? Going all steam outline now??

Atvb

CME

Yes for now,  or at least no yellow panels allowed! 

Im not against diesels  but I remember diesels best in the late 80’s early 90’s so if I was to model them that would be my era.  

I have to admit this class 22 issue has left a bitter taste as well but I guess that’s another story.  

• Agree 1

DJH Kit built by them from the custom build range.  

They are a good looking engine.  

Still waiting on the turn table. Supposed to have been 6 to 8 weeks from the Bristol show! Greenwood are not very good at communicating! 

Edited by steve fay
  • Friendly/supportive 2