Smoke Ash & Steam

steve fay

I know the feeling Steve.

Not just your suppliers.

Some suppliers are great, great products, great service, great communications. Others? Its like pulling wisdom teeth. I have few part finished models, awaiting parts or even just a response, months on end Ive waited for replies re substantial orders or short of order deliveries. I now try to get all parts before starting a build, but one can't cater for every eventuality.

Its hit my model making mojo very hard of late. Projects then stall and then I forget where I got to.

I thought I'd be working on track in the garden by now - a few months away from the above hassles. Every time I have the time or inclination? More torrential rain.

Fingers crossed for better weather.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
Grammar + Screen/Cursor jumping
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

I took delivery of a Slaters 28xx a few weeks back,  well here it is.  When it arrived I tested it and it runs very smooth.  The previous owner completely rebuilt the chassis with full compensation.  The loco was a little rough though so it was submerged in a bath of detol!  The fire box came apart which was a good thing as I could put it back together square! Additional detail was added using parts from JLTRT ( lamp irons, ATC shoe, sand filler lids, boiler band straps, vac pipes and cylinder castings ), Warren Shepherd ( steam Lance cock, cylinder drain cocks,  & smoke box door dart ) Malcolm Mitchell mud hole covers.  I just need to get some new couplings for the loco.  The tender was fine and has just had new Fox crests, cast lifting rings and Vac pipes added.  
The smoke box saddle was given a good clean up as well as the all the flashing was still around the bolt heads.  All the gaps between the firebox sections where filled with car body filler and rubbed down smooth.  Halfords primer and satin black paint to finish.  Just waiting on the Severn mill plates to arrive and cab side route availability transfers and pop the back head back in.  This will need a good weathering plus some nice crew from ModelU.  
Not forgetting some red paint for the buffer beam.

EB389FF9-A969-4489-860A-50E7950314A1.png

7F62FA76-80F1-4C7D-A7D3-286D6BCDD8E9.png

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ve decided to move the layout to the opposite side of the room, Blocking the windows was not a good idea and made daytime photography very difficult.  Being on this side allows me to add 2’ in front of the shed for additional loco storage. I will add 3 inspection pits plus another building. 

E35FD549-F7EF-40ED-92A3-1B88CBDA5F77.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pits made up and dropped in to place on all 3 roads,  chimney stack from Intentio in base brick colour,  I’ll make up a base for this as I want it 6” taller. I’ll be having another 1 possibly 2 more of these.  Lastly I’ve been glueing the brick work in place on the backscene building. 

651C4015-245E-4CFB-B1CD-9C974DA24623.png

4EC8C357-1872-4430-9740-6E18C920C6DD.jpeg

BB19129B-E8E8-47B4-AD3E-91558FDABC33.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Steve. Really nice work on both the loco and the layout. Don't know how you find enough time to do all that you do! However please keep it up as it is a nice thread to follow and I for one really enjoy it.

Rod

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, long time lurker of your thread some superb modelling your trackwork ballasting is great. I need to do a pit on a small 7mm layout trying to build and noticed yours look like a laser cut kit. Any info would be very useful.

Cheers Peter.

20 hours ago, steve fay said:

Intentio do a lovely pit,  that’s the three I have in front of the shed and in front of the coaling stage 

Thanks Steve I will look into them,

Cheers Peter.

On 04/07/2019 at 11:34, steve fay said:

7444 arrived on shed this morning a recent transfer from Carmarthen via Jintyman in North Wales.  

I’ve also made up a 6” base for the chimney. 

D766E8D8-AF1C-4387-AC58-7BC20780A436.png

A0A93415-5945-4982-8A67-56453187D848.png

Hi Steve, is that circle marked out for the old turntable you had on RB?

Jon F

Sorry for the delay in replying, unfortunately an unforeseen house move means this project will go no further. 

All of the buildings and some of the locos will be available for sale if any one is interested. 

Other  than that I’ll be taking a break from modelling for a while. 

The Riviera line is also being disposed of 

thanks for all of the interest in this and my previous projects 

Edited by steve fay
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• 6 months later...