Crownline Models Dilemma

Zen

I have acquired two Crownline 9Fs and was wishing to scale the running gear, Romford wheels but was wondering if it would make any difference to fit modern ABS centred Romfords or the more period correct metal centred Romfords or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill???

I also wish to fit Comet motion gear cylinders etc. For the lack of Crownline motion gear.   

Edited by Zen

I have acquired two Crownline 9Fs and was wishing to scale the running gear, Romford wheels but was wondering if it would make any difference to fit modern ABS centred Romfords or the more period correct metal centred Romfords or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill???

I also wish to fit Comet motion gear cylinders etc. For the lack of Crownline motion gear.   

Stick a Comet chassis pack underneath. Although the wheelbase is compromised to cater for non-scale flanges, plenty of people have built these successfully.

If you want an all-singing, dead-scale 9F chassis (only really possible with P4 profile wheels), have a look at Dave Bradwell

• Like 1

I might be wrong and I might have missed your point but I thought that after the Crownline range of kits was sold on and never seemed to be produced anymore, the guy who had created the brand set up a new company called PDK and seemed to issue the same kits that he had supplied as Crownline Models?  I remember that the Crownline range seemed to focus on SR Bulleid locos and these also appeared in the PDK range.  the PDK range has expanded further with locos from all regions.  Perhaps you can get the 9F motion from PDK and possibly a chassis to match the Crownline body. 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

I might be wrong and I might have missed your point but I thought that after the Crownline range of kits was sold on and never seemed to be produced anymore, the guy who had created the brand set up a new company called PDK and seemed to issue the same kits that he had supplied as Crownline Models?  I remember that the Crownline range seemed to focus on SR Bulleid locos and these also appeared in the PDK range.  the PDK range has expanded further with locos from all regions.  Perhaps you can get the 9F motion from PDK and possibly a chassis to match the Crownline body.

Dave King did indeed start up PDK not long after "retiring". Crownline Models was sold off to a bloke called Hughes, but crucially Dave retained the services of Paul Hill who was responsible for most, if not all, of the etch artwork in the Crownline kits. Whilst Crownline eventually sank without trace (some of the detailing parts were briefly in the custody of DMR's Mike Russell), PDK carried on with tweaks to update the old designs that had been previously under the Crownline label, but have never done anything kit-wise for a 9F as that pitch is well and truly occupied by others. PDK is now owned and run by Paul Hill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe Mike Russell was also involved with Crownline, and missed out on the opportunity of buying it from Dave King, due to ill health.  (I think Mike subsequently had the opportunity to purchase the Crownline range from Mr. Hughes(?) but it seems that a divorce was involved and alarm bells were ringing very loudly in Mike's head to steer well clear).  Mike went on to start up DMR (pretty good kits by all accounts), which has since been sold to Pheonix Precision Paints.  Are the ex-Crownline detailing parts also now available from PPP? 

....Are the ex-Crownline detailing parts also now available from PPP? 

No, those sank without trace and I don't think those will ever be resurrected given the way that RTR has developed. Mike Russell briefly had custody of the lot and was selling them from his DMR stand - I bought some - at the NESCOT Epsom show round about 2000, but I never saw them again after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thank you sooo much peoples I never knew what exactly happened to Crownline beyond its sale the first time around, Am desperate to get my hands on the rebuilt Crosti kit and an E2 extended tank kit. 

What gauge do you model?

If you are an OO modeller, then think about using the Railroad 9F Powerdrive. The body of the old tender drive 9F will fit ,with a minimum of work and it runs very well.

I was turned on to this by Coach Bogie who had been told by the Middlesborough boys on the Billingham layout. They had Crownlined normal and Crosti 9Fs and didn't want to waste their work.

I have a rebuilt and unrebuilt Crownlined Crosti locomotive as well as an old normal 9F fitted to these chassis and think they are spot on!!

The valvegear is fine as far as I'm concerned. 

Then again, as anybody who reads my drivel on this site will tell you, I'm about overall stuff, not superscale!!

If you want to build a 9F chassis, then I totally agree with all that has been written already.

Personally, I'd use the Comet chassis 'cos it is usable, at least for somebody like me, not too expensive and you can add as much detail as you want.

The Bradwell chassis will be massively detailed and a major project!!

If that is your thing, then go for it. You will have a work of art when you finish.

All the best and have fun!!

Chris. 

• Like 1

What gauge do you model?

If you are an OO modeller, then think about using the Railroad 9F Powerdrive. The body of the old tender drive 9F will fit ,with a minimum of work and it runs very well.

I was turned on to this by Coach Bogie who had been told by the Middlesborough boys on the Billingham layout. They had Crownlined normal and Crosti 9Fs and didn't want to waste their work.

I have a rebuilt and unrebuilt Crownlined Crosti locomotive as well as an old normal 9F fitted to these chassis and think they are spot on!!

The valvegear is fine as far as I'm concerned. 

Then again, as anybody who reads my drivel on this site will tell you, I'm about overall stuff, not superscale!!

If you want to build a 9F chassis, then I totally agree with all that has been written already.

Personally, I'd use the Comet chassis 'cos it is usable, at least for somebody like me, not too expensive and you can add as much detail as you want.

The Bradwell chassis will be massively detailed and a major project!!

If that is your thing, then go for it. You will have a work of art when you finish.

All the best and have fun!!

Chris. 

PS.

Cost wise. A complete Railroad 9F will not be any more expensive than the makings of a chassis, I think.

I now will, no doubt, be shot down in flames by various worthies on this site!!!!!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

An ancient Hornby Evening Star body rebuilt with a Crownline kit about 30 years ago, and in need of an update. Runs on a Railroad chassis about 4 years old ( or near to when they first come out??) Runs like a dream and a good hauler.

post-7336-0-21976000-1539692705.jpg

• Like 3

An ancient Hornby Evening Star body rebuilt with a Crownline kit about 30 years ago, and in need of an update. Runs on a Railroad chassis about 4 years old ( or near to when they first come out??) Runs like a dream and a good hauler.

attachicon.gifCrosti 9F.jpg

Damn straight!!!

Somebody else preaching from the same box!!!!

Lovely job!

C.

• RMweb Gold

I did complete a Crownline full Crosti a few years ago on an original Evening Star before selling it and building a better Golden Arrow version on a Railroad chassis (with sound). I have also done a Golden Arrow rebuilt Crosti body on a Bachmann chassis :)

post-6717-0-67390700-1539695322_thumb.jpg

Crownline version

post-6717-0-66491100-1539695304_thumb.jpg

Golden Arrow Full Crosti

post-6717-0-48974700-1539695334_thumb.jpg

Golden Arrow Rebuilt Crosti - For sale if anyone is interested ;)

Do so like the extended deflector!

I did complete a Crownline full Crosti a few years ago on an original Evening Star before selling it and building a better Golden Arrow version on a Railroad chassis (with sound). I have also done a Golden Arrow rebuilt Crosti body on a Bachmann chassis :)

attachicon.gifDSC01884.jpg

Crownline version

attachicon.gifDSC00025.jpg

Golden Arrow Full Crosti

attachicon.gifP1010435_crop.jpg

Golden Arrow Rebuilt Crosti - For sale if anyone is interested ;)

• RMweb Gold

Do so like the extended deflector!

Ta, I wanted to build that unique feature - scratch built from sheet brass. The Golden Arrow resin deflector is a bit crude in comparison ....

Here it is in primer just after the deflector was added

post-6717-0-22683400-1539697192_thumb.jpg

I built two at the time, a very similar one 92021 on commission. Chap then sold it to Hattons quite soon after I sent it to him, they had it in their second hand section for a long time.

• Like 1

"I built two at the time, a very similar one 92021 on commission. Chap then sold it to Hattons quite soon after I sent it to him, they had it in their second hand section for a long time".

Guess it's all a matter of taste some have it and some just don't! Lol

Might be of interest, not a Crosti, but the other variation of the 9F -  Tyne Dock - Consett loco's  .... 

Have one of these myself at some point I will get the iron ore wagon kits to accompany mine.