Peco launch former Tower Models bus kits

RThompson

• RMweb Gold

Announced on the ttcdiecast Facebook page, Peco/Modelscene have acquired and rereleased 3 of the former tower models 4mm scale plastic bus kits.

5138 Leyland National single door

5139 Leyland National dual door

5501 Leyland Olympian single door

I used to enjoy building these kits a long time ago and good for bashing as I have done into other variants.

No doubt other kits and livery variants will appear.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That is really good news, I remember them with some affection. I seem to recall that they made a rather nice Bristol Lowdekka which like the other kits would be useful when converting the Faller system to British outline.

Good old Peco!

all the best

Godfrey

The Bristol Lodekka was made by a company called MTS, nothing whatever to do with Tower Models. MTS also made an East Lancs forward entrance double decker that was offered with a choice of bonnets/radiators. AFAIK the only other bus made by Tower models was the London RT/RTL.

That is really good news, I remember them with some affection. I seem to recall that they made a rather nice Bristol Lowdekka which like the other kits would be useful when converting the Faller system to British outline.

Good old Peco!

all the best

Godfrey

I think you will find that the Bristol Lodekka (note spelling) was produced by MTA/Classic Bus Co.; and never was part of the Tower range. They are listed on the Model Bus Zone page but no idea if still available.

http://modelbuszone.co.uk/

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

A little off thread but just bought the Model Scene 1927 Maudsley bus and 1926 Thornycroft type PB kits.  Have these always been Peco products or were they acquired from someone else?

They were originally part of the Merit range which Peco took over many years ago. There was also a horse drawn van that was quite good and a Scammell Scarab that looked nothing like the real thing.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

A little off thread but just bought the Model Scene 1927 Maudsley bus and 1926 Thornycroft type PB kits.  Have these always been Peco products or were they acquired from someone else?

Part of the Merit range who also made figures and things like luggage.

Worth looking for the smaller Thorneycroft van as well. Made by Keil Kraft and others, I think Knightwing still make it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/keil-kraft-k309-thorneycroft-1-1-2-ton-parcel-van--167266#

Jason

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Part of the Merit range who also made figures and things like luggage.

Worth looking for the smaller Thorneycroft van as well. Made by Keil Kraft and others, I think Knightwing still make it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/keil-kraft-k309-thorneycroft-1-1-2-ton-parcel-van--167266#

Jason

Interesting that it is described as 1/72 scale, I wonder if the ex-Merit are 1/76 or 1/72?

• Like 1

On 28/09/2018 at 14:32, Merfyn Jones said:

I was never very impressed by the National, a bit narrow in my opinion. The EFE has it's faults but a better proportioned model.

The Olympian is a better job, much better shape than the Corgi effort. Not as good as the Pirate kit but a heck of a lot cheaper.

The National roof was always a pain to fit, they were always Banana shaped. Built a few over the years.

• Like 1