Class 58 Wheels

Dieselbob

Hi

Does anyone know of a supplier who can supply replacement wheels for a Hornby Class 58.

the wheels that are supplied with the loco are too wide for the new Peco streamline points and they short at the frog. I don't want to get rid of my 2 Hornby locos as I put a lot of work into respraying, re-mumbering, detailing & weathering them and for what I've seen of the Heljan models the need a bit of detailing themselves, although I am sure they run much better than the Hornby versions.

cheers

Bob

Guest jim s-w

You can get replacements from Ultrascale. If you want to remove the gear off the back of the wheel you can get 3ft 8 disks from Alan Gibson.

How are they shorting at the frog? You might want to read this thread to see how the wheel is supposed to interact with the rail at a frog, beware of fitting a wheel that is too narrow to work.

Cheers

Jim

How are they shorting at the frog? You might want to read this thread to see how the wheel is supposed to interact with the rail at a frog, beware of fitting a wheel that is too narrow to work.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I have this problem with my Hornby 58 as well, its the 'depth' of the tread, from the flange to the edge of the wheel, it's too wide and shorts across the frog.

Regards

Neal.

Archived