Bi-Directional Signalling - single track 'avoiding / link line'

• RMweb Premium

You chose to contradict my message, which was correct, and relevant to the question it was answering, you should expect me to defend it.

Regards

There are however politer ways of telling someone they are mistaken (or have mis-read a post) which don’t involve being disparaging to the person concerned.....

Humans are allowed to get things wrong...

• RMweb Premium

Rather sorry I started this thread now... :scratchhead:

Don’t be, as the saying goes - ‘s**t happens sometimes’ and it’s not the first time a thread has ended up in arguments.

There is useful content in the thread for those who need it that wouln’t be there if not for your inital enquiry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather sorry I started this thread now... :scratchhead:

PLEASE don't give up.  Such questions are always of interest to the large band of uninitiated like me, who visit here to learn.  There were plenty of good nuggets of information until the (un)professional squabble broke out.  Sadly it frequently gets personal and we just get caught in the crossfire!  HAPPY modelling to you!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's try and get it right once and for all (and totally off topic as far as the OP is concerned.  Anyway first - the OP's idea of having one signal is good and makes sense, I like it.

Now to WR panels - the Integra/Henry Williams domino panels, at least the ones I have seen up close (Old Oak Common first and second panels), Slough, Reading, Plymouth, Newport, Cardiff and Port Talbot (and Oxford through the 'box window) have track circuited lines shown in solid black as per WR Reading drawn signalbox diagram style, non track circuited lines were usually shown as two parallel lines with the space between them as the basic panel colour.  The only change which occurred on WR Integra/Henry williams panles as far as I know is that Oxford usesd push button entrance switches whereas all the previous panels had used rotary entrance switches,.  he same colouring was used on the Reading built/contracted OCS panels as far as I'm aware and judging by the example I have seen.

The change came as far as I can trace with the 1980s West of England resignalling where the panels no longer came from Henry Wlilliams but came from other suppliers (Westinghouse fir the first two - thus Westbury (which I have seen) and (I presume, as it's newer) Exeter use standard colouring for track circuits.  Similarly the panel installed in St Andrews Jcn 'box as part of my scheme for Bristol Bulk Handling Terminal in the early 1990s also uses standard track circuit colours although it is a domino type panel and wasn't supplied by Westinghouse (or Henry Williams).  Basically I think the change to 'standard' came in the 1980s and effectively after reading Works involvement had ceased and a supplier other than Henry Williams was used.

• Like 1