A gap in the ready-to-run market for Eastern Region EMUs has led many of us to build our own.  This represents my first attempt at such a model; namely a Class 307 unit.  I originally intended to kit-bash a Bachmann EPB unit.  However, on investigation the cab and chassis would have required extensive surgery, and I couldn’t bring myself to put a knife to £150 plus product.  I therefore decided to utilise the cheaper Replica Railways offering, including their motorised chasis.

I decided to start with the more challenging Driver Motor car.  This required some surgery to the Suburban Brake body by moving the front compartment to the rear of the carriage next to the Guard’s compartment and replacing the moulded vents.  The roof of the Guard’s compartment also required to be cut to accommodate the pantograph roof bay, which I purchased separately from eBay at a cost of £8.

post-25922-0-24792700-1538207914_thumb.jpg

In hindsight, the decision to use the Replica Railway model rather than the Bachmann version paid off, as significant work was required to the cab front and the Replica Railway cab is far easier to work on than a full-length Bachmann carriage.  I created a cut-out for the destination blind and removed the rain strips for the driver’s front windows.  I adorned the cab with jumper cables (mix of Hornby Class 50 from Peter’s Spares and Replica Railways), 0.3mm brass handrail, lamp irons (Masokits), rubbing strip (Replica Railways), step irons (brass scratch built) and extended buffers (MJT).  The rebuilt version which I am recreating included several cab replacement panels.  These were recreated simply with paper strips.  Given all the work I did to the cab front, I decided to push the boat and replace all the moulded handles and grab rails with Markits brass handles and 0.3mm brass wire.  Whilst this was laborious, I believe it was worth the effort.

post-25922-0-56832400-1538207937_thumb.jpg

The other driving car was a lot easier, insofar it did not have a pantograph bay.  It did however require modifications to accommodate the toilet compartment by altering one of the compartment doors and windows.  The presence of the toilets also required the fitting of the water feed pipes on the roof.  These were constructed using 0.45mm brass wire and handrail knobs.

post-25922-0-39256900-1538208030_thumb.jpg

My attention now turned to the bogies. Tracking down a manufacturer of the 8’9” Gresley motor bogie proved challenging. Unusually, a query placed on RMWeb offered no solutions. I finally sourced some excellent dummy sides from Southern Pride Models. The bogies on the other models were standard 8’6” Gresley for which I utilised the Comet variant.

post-25922-0-68521100-1538208071_thumb.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It looks like two steps forward and one backward!

It appears that I have fitted the wrong bogies (thanks Clive).  All the correspondence I have read suggests the bogies on the Class 307 were Gresley ED7/ET7 (but not the type I have fitted).  If this is the case, then I am struggling to find a manufacturer for them in 4mm.  Can anyone help?

• RMweb Premium

It looks like two steps forward and one backward!

It appears that I have fitted the wrong bogies (thanks Clive).  All the correspondence I have read suggests the bogies on the Class 307 were Gresley ED7/ET7 (but not the type I have fitted).  If this is the case, then I am struggling to find a manufacturer for them in 4mm.  Can anyone help?

The closest RTR bogies are Bachmann's 4CEP or Class 205 or 2EPB, but the axle boxes need changing to roller bearings. I have no idea where and who first made the error of the bogies being a Gresley design . They are completely a SR, Eastleigh design based on the BR Mk2 bogie. The North London class 501 sets had the same design of bogie.

The power bogie is also SR design.

For my AM7 I am using BR mk1 bogies, I am removing the bolster springs and changing the oil axle boxes to roller bearing ones. 

• Informative/Useful 1

A gap in the ready-to-run market for Eastern Region EMUs has led many of us to build our own.  This represents my first attempt at such a model; namely a Class 307 unit.  I originally intended to kit-bash a Bachmann EPB unit.  However, on investigation the cab and chassis would have required extensive surgery, and I couldn’t bring myself to put a knife to £150 plus product.  I therefore decided to utilise the cheaper Replica Railways offering, including their motorised chasis.

I decided to start with the more challenging Driver Motor car.  This required some surgery to the Suburban Brake body by moving the front compartment to the rear of the carriage next to the Guard’s compartment and replacing the moulded vents.  The roof of the Guard’s compartment also required to be cut to accommodate the pantograph roof bay, which I purchased separately from eBay at a cost of £8.

attachicon.gifIMG_0119.JPG

In hindsight, the decision to use the Replica Railway model rather than the Bachmann version paid off, as significant work was required to the cab front and the Replica Railway cab is far easier to work on than a full-length Bachmann carriage.  I created a cut-out for the destination blind and removed the rain strips for the driver’s front windows.  I adorned the cab with jumper cables (mix of Hornby Class 50 from Peter’s Spares and Replica Railways), 0.3mm brass handrail, lamp irons (Masokits), rubbing strip (Replica Railways), step irons (brass scratch built) and extended buffers (MJT).  The rebuilt version which I am recreating included several cab replacement panels.  These were recreated simply with paper strips.  Given all the work I did to the cab front, I decided to push the boat and replace all the moulded handles and grab rails with Markits brass handles and 0.3mm brass wire.  Whilst this was laborious, I believe it was worth the effort.

attachicon.gifIMG_0125.JPG

The other driving car was a lot easier, insofar it did not have a pantograph bay.  It did however require modifications to accommodate the toilet compartment by altering one of the compartment doors and windows.  The presence of the toilets also required the fitting of the water feed pipes on the roof.  These were constructed using 0.45mm brass wire and handrail knobs.

attachicon.gifIMG_0540.JPG

My attention now turned to the bogies. Tracking down a manufacturer of the 8’9” Gresley motor bogie proved challenging. Unusually, a query placed on RMWeb offered no solutions. I finally sourced some excellent dummy sides from Southern Pride Models. The bogies on the other models were standard 8’6” Gresley for which I utilised the Comet variant.

attachicon.gifIMG_0541.JPG

I thought that with the 307 being ex 1500V DC the motor coach was in the middle, with the pantograph/transformer/rectifier only on the Driving coach, supplying 1500VDC via jumpers to the adjacent motor coach. It would appear that you have the motor bogie frames on the pantograph coach instead of the motor coach.

Edited by Titan

Some 306s ran in that form after conversion but prior to the wires being energised at 25kV, maybe these were the same?

Edit: whoops, I was thinking of the pan relocation to the centre car on the 306 of course.

Edited by E3109

• 7 months later...

Progress made.  I have now managed to replace the bogies with the correct type; many thanks for those comments.  The new motor bogies are a combination of Dart Castings and spare Bachmann EPBs.

IMG_0726.JPG.64dc220482ef2bd66b1c053795e9998a.JPG

All coaches have now been fitted with door knobs and grabs (a laborious task!).IMG_0729.JPG.b684fe55f7fa0e8d8275c612360f5907.JPG

I will now turn my attention to the underframe detail.  I would appreciate any advice as to what goes where, as there are not many details available on the web or in periodicals etc.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2018 at 21:35, Titan said:

I thought that with the 307 being ex 1500V DC the motor coach was in the middle, with the pantograph/transformer/rectifier only on the Driving coach, supplying 1500VDC via jumpers to the adjacent motor coach. It would appear that you have the motor bogie frames on the pantograph coach instead of the motor coach.

The original formation was DTS-TC-MBS (with pantograph) -DTS.

As Titan says, the rebuilt units became DTS-TC-MS-DTBS (with pantograph)

Just caught up with your thread gazzaday, I was at Railex at the weekend, I was the guy from Romford and we spoke briefly on your club stand. Your models look stunning, the bridge looks just like the real thing. Guess it's a big project but I'll look forward to seeing your layout grow.

Steve.

22 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Just caught up with your thread gazzaday, I was at Railex at the weekend, I was the guy from Romford and we spoke briefly on your club stand. Your models look stunning, the bridge looks just like the real thing. Guess it's a big project but I'll look forward to seeing your layout grow.

Steve.

Good to catch up with you Steve.  Many thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Gary.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

More progress.  After reading the thread above, I realised my error about placing the motor bogies on the trailing motor car.  This has now been rectified (Thanks Titan).

PB220014.JPG.fa30ef5fe365f60f29b2664944a54f42.JPGThe entire unit has now been sprayed with primer ready for the top coat.  The under-frame detail now complete, has been challenging due to an absence of information on the web.  Nevertheless, this is all complete, albeit it has been an exercise on scratch building.  The detail even includes parts of a toy rocket!

PB220019.JPG.ecaf366f0a6c02fdc50a188fc3313e32.JPGThe interiors have also been detailed.PB220024.JPG.97c63553d2a17659fda9b140960e4574.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any help?

MS.png.4ae9cd1f0cb1c2cceeddc8f48eb39d0d.png

If the diagram is the same way round as it was when they were MBS then the end that couples to the DTBS (with pantograph)  that would be the right end as viewed.

MBS.png.9c0bbbc6e0da920e4555987a39c81d07.png

Edit, it wasn't until the early eighties that there was an increase in non smoking areas on trains.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

And IIRC the compartment next to the guard was "Ladies Only". Up to what year though, I don't know but almost certainly when the units were in all blue.

Ladies only compartments were abolished with Sex Discrimination Act of 1975. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 smoking and 3 non-smoking? That's a sign of the times. Is my memory correct in thinking that in the 80's, near to the end of their lives, they had the interior compartments ripped out and were turned into open carriages? I think it was because of the risk of people being 'trapped' in the compartments with no way out if someone dodgy got in with you. Or did I dream all that? The model is looking great by the way.

• Agree 1