Hornby 2019 Modern Range........

dogbox321

• RMweb Premium

As far as new models are concerned, I don't think there will be many huge surprises. I can't see an 86 yet, although I do think there will be one potentially in 2020. Possibly a 155 used from the 153 tooling. Going on the DMU theme, maybe a new tooled 142. I'd be surprised, but their old pacer has been a staple in catalogues through the last couple of decades, has worn many liveries, and if I'm correct in saying, will be a thing of the past on railways soon with enforced regulations for disabled passengers.

As for liveries, I'm echoing what others have mentioned, any of the following

31/4 - BR Blue / IC Mainline

31/5 -  Dutch

31255/466 - EWS

60 - TL Metals (correct colours please - you managed it the first time)

There's plenty of mileage in these fantastic models. Even re-runs of previously released liveries. Bachmann aren't scared to do it.

As far as new models are concerned, I don't think there will be many huge surprises. I can't see an 86 yet, although I do think there will be one potentially in 2020. Possibly a 155 used from the 153 tooling. Going on the DMU theme, maybe a new tooled 142. I'd be surprised, but their old pacer has been a staple in catalogues through the last couple of decades, has worn many liveries, and if I'm correct in saying, will be a thing of the past on railways soon with enforced regulations for disabled passengers.

I can't see them doing a Pacer as Realtrack seem to have that market covered.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I can't see them doing a Pacer as Realtrack seem to have that market covered.

Jason

Realtrack have classes 143 and 144 covered. As far as I'm aware neither they, nor anyone has a 142 in 00 in the pipeline in the immediate future.

Can't see an 86 yet, although I do think there will be one potentially in 2020.

Possibly a 155 used from the 153 tooling.

Going on the DMU theme, maybe a new tooled 142.

I seriously doubt Hornby will do a Class 86 now that Heljan have made their intentions clear. However if they are well advanced, that's a possibility.

I don't think Hornby are going to waste money modifying their Class 153 tooling just to make a Class 155, that's a ridiculous thing to do. A Class 155 needs to have a full set of tools for itself. If Hornby had the Class 155 in mind when they did the Class 153, then the Class 155 would've seen the light of day ages ago.

Once again it makes no financial sense to do a Class 142 when there's a superb one from Realtrack/Rapido in the pipeline.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

I seriously doubt Hornby will do a Class 86 now that Heljan have made their intentions clear. However if they are well advanced, that's a possibility.

I don't think Hornby are going to waste money modifying their Class 153 tooling just to make a Class 155, that's a ridiculous thing to do. A Class 155 needs to have a full set of tools for itself. If Hornby had the Class 155 in mind when they did the Class 153, then the Class 155 would've seen the light of day ages ago.

Once again it makes no financial sense to do a Class 142 when there's a superb one from Realtrack/Rapido in the pipeline.

Speculating here, but I suspect the Class 86 was in Hornby's mind before anyone outside the company heard about the 87. If that is the case, I'd doubt Heljan's announcement regarding the 86 will make any difference.

Given the 153 started life as a 155 there is quite obviously a huge amount from one model that's relevant to the other. My wording of 'from the 153 tooling' was a poor choice, I'd not meant that the 153 tooling be modified, rather used as a basis. I think it's entirely possible, Hornby have produced a 155 (albeit a much lower quality one) before, and in a world where the number of unreleased 'newer spec' models of modern image locos and units is dwindling, the choice of pickings of what to do next is slimmer.

As above, news of Realtrack's proposed 142 had escaped me entirely.

It would be nice if they made this.

In best Churchill the Dog voice "Ohhhhhh yes".

Only two body moulds needed and a shed load of liveries too, plus covering quite a wide area of central and north-western England.  Plus one of the best sound effect tracks for those of us who like noisy models.

As for the 86, I'll repeat what I said earlier, an 86/2 (and 86/1 with Class 87 chassis) would NOT compete with Heljan as they have only undertaken to do the AL6/86/0 at present.  Different liveries. different eras so different markets.  You are not talking "opportunity purchasing" with AC electrics, they don't appeal to the butterfly minded collectors who like pretty things, so you are most unlikely to get people buying an electric just because it looks good.  So, there's room for both as you are targeting a smaller but knowledgeable market.  People like myself who will be buying both in goodly numbers if Hornby do come to the party with an 86/2.  I'm already building up the war chest to buy several Heljan AL6's and would love to have some banger blue, IC Executive and RES 86/2's as well so for me if Hornby do announce an 86/2 in January they will get additional spending from me, I won't be scaling back the early Heljan model expenditure as I need them for a different timescale.  Win win for all.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Class 92 and mk5’s please.

Class 92 and go up against DJM again like they did with the Class 71???

I agree duplicating DJM with a new Class 92 might be a mistake, but a Railroad version in Caledonian sleeper livery using the existing tooling might do well alongside new Mk5s.

• RMweb Gold

Class 92 and go up against DJM again like they did with the Class 71???

Is that such a bad thing,,,,considering a number of both current and historic issues ? The DJ 71 performance does not match its Hornby rival and I speak from experience of both versions.

Is that such a bad thing,,,,considering a number of both current and historic issues ? The DJ 71 performance does not match its Hornby rival and I speak from experience of both versions.

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

The DJM Class 71 performance doesn't match its Hornby rival.

In what way?  Slow speed, smoothness, noise level, pulling power?  Something else?

This is the kind of information we need to know.

Thanks.

Ive three DJ. And five Hornby. There is no comparison. In all the areas you mention the Hornby is vastly superior.

In what way? Slow speed, smoothness, noise level, pulling power? Something else?

Thanks.

Edited by miles73128

• RMweb Gold

In what way?  Slow speed, smoothness, noise level, pulling power?  Something else?

Thanks.

Its motor& gear design and performance are best suited for slow speed control in a shunting capacity.With a load of 8 Hornby Pullmans + baggage van it struggles to reach anything like a prototypical 45 mph.This has already been well documented on this forum so you will have to trawl back through topics and threads to research it.

The Hornby version is scale speed much more capable.It is certainly quieter,smoother and more powerful.

• Like 1