Pengwith (help required)

I seesaw between 4mm and 7/8th inch to the foot scale so it's long time no post. My previous attempt at a micro floundered through a poorly planned fiddle yard.

This layout will live against a wall so I want to build a sliding sector plate at one end. That should resolve the yard issue but suggests that entry/exit roads have to be at the front half of the layout. I have a soft spot for Ponts Mill and want to have some form of dries along the back. I'm a novice in the micro design but beginning to think that entry to the clays is probably better from the fiddle yard thus saving space. I'm fairly certain about this aspect of the model but very unsure about the front of the layout.

I want a small halt as an excuse to run a 121 in and out. I am struggling to envisage whether better to have the platform at the face of the layout or set back, say, 3 inches. I want the run in to start double tracked for a run round. I'm also wondering how to blend an industrial backdrop with little used passenger facilities.

Am I clogging the whole thing up (or pushing the boundaries of realism too far) by adding a short siding for a variation in stock?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be interested. Maybe the picture will help...maybe it won't.

Pengwith came from a house name in Marazion whilst on holiday in Cornwall two weeks ago.

post-27850-0-73879300-1538250933_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-11369000-1538250951_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do you know of Coombe junction?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/5998429216

A small Cornish halt where the passenger service from Liskeard to Looe reverses but freight trains continue on to Moorswater, it would provide a good basis for a model.

Its still in use so you have a wide variety of periods and stock to choose from. (should have added including the class 37 shown in your photo)

Edited by d&h

Thanks for that. I have heard of Coombe junction but hadn't considered it as a potential solution other than possibly the path beside the track. Looking at Cornish railway society page I'm wondering whether I can time warp the original passing loop back into existence in the 80s. There is also a lovely shot of an asbestos (?)clad building backing onto the platform.

It also gives a level crossing or stream option at the entry point from the fiddle yard. I like the options this is giving me.

Thanks again, I have an ancient Model Railway Constructor magazine in the attic with a 9 x1 model based on Coombe junction. It was basic by modern standards but had something that appealed to me even with the Hornby ringfield 37.

Have you seen Minions? Link attached:

www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25462

aac

Hi Thanks for that. I have to say that was the layout that convinced me China clay could be done in a small space. It is an interesting thread which I've had open on a tab for ages.

Looking at your photos, you could also consider how Melangoose was devised:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69983-melangoose/page-1 

aac

That layout has got me wondering whether I should have the run round loop entrance off stage in the fiddle yard. If I go point on the main stage I had considered a signal box and level crossing but not sure it works as a double track. I have almost finished a sliding fiddle yard using kitchen drawer runners so at least it should be an operational layout.

post-27850-0-53969500-1538591994_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-70119100-1538592024_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That layout has got me wondering whether I should have the run round loop entrance off stage in the fiddle yard. If I go point on the main stage I had considered a signal box and level crossing but not sure it works as a double track. I have almost finished a sliding fiddle yard using kitchen drawer runners so at least it should be an operational layout.

I'd go off-stage to add run round length, but then you can dispense with the point altogether if you are on a traverser system. Equally, you could save the point in the rear siding if you chose to. Try sketching the side view of the layout (i.e. what you see over the lineside fence) to visualize the scene rather than relying on the plan view.

aac

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mr Aac, I Think we have a plan. I have perched the baseboard on a shelf and have to say it is much easier to visualise where you. I have settled with using the sliding sector instead of points and having the entry to the works off-stage. With a plàtform at the front of the layout I am beginning to wonder whether I should rename it StMinionsMelangoosePontsMill. Decided to use a signal box to view block the entry point of the run round loop and a warehouse canopy to disguise the entry to the works.

That's the plan!

Seemed to have lost the attachment option.

Thanks Mr Aac, I Think we have a plan. I have perched the baseboard on a shelf and have to say it is much easier to visualise where you. I have settled with using the sliding sector instead of points and having the entry to the works off-stage. With a plàtform at the front of the layout I am beginning to wonder whether I should rename it StMinionsMelangoosePontsMill. Decided to use a signal box to view block the entry point of the run round loop and a warehouse canopy to disguise the entry to the works.

That's the plan!

Seemed to have lost the attachment option.

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing things develop.

aac

Don't know if this is usual but seem to be constructing buildinģs before track laying. Think the curve on this roof will be fun to get square.

Thanks to the forum for its decoder advice for tts chips. Now have a blue 37 running fairly smoothly just awaiting a re number and Cornish railways logos.

post-27850-0-64924400-1541013177_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Slow but steady. Track is now pinned and wired up. I should have said the baseboard is a slice of 4 x 1ft 2" thick styrodur with 4mm cork tiles on top. The plan is that this can be lifted out of the frame and a different layout replacing it but using the same sector plate.

The gwr look has been dropped for a more lswr look after spotting a nicely priced Kernow Bude box on buy it now. I have some concrete fence panels to back the platform and an old ratio SR concrete hut to fit between the run round sidings.

The cork tiles have made it easy to fit wire and tube point control. Just waiting for some 4mm square neodymiums to fit between sleepers to experiment with the staple on the tension lock "automation"

Sorry the pictures don't show something more exciting....yet

PS changed my tts chip for a Howes for slower speed control.

post-27850-0-59935600-1543874725.jpg

post-27850-0-10279200-1543874744.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

One step forward....buy a Dapol 121 and your dynamis throws a short circuit wobbly. Agonised over cutting out a stream in the middle of the board but fairly pleased on how its turning out even if I have had to raise it 5mm for a depth that looked right. Ballasting after the stream is finished. The culvert at the far end still needs to be bedded in. Bit of a cheat with the bridge as I plan to add the side by the platform as a cut out out of the base. The intention is that the board is removable from the frame so I can build alternative layouts within it. The backscene shot up two inches but not overnight....too many Terry Pratchetts to catch up on.

post-27850-0-29800100-1547231620_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-43727200-1547231638_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More ballasting delays. The Neodymium magnets (6×4×2mm) work well and should work under the concrete hardstanding but it does require buildings to be roughly in place to assess where they will be best placed. The strength of the magnets means they could be buried just below ballast height but may need a subtle sleeper mark to be sure where they are.

Just bought a replacement second hand gaugemaster controller so should be able to road test couplings with a loco.

Low relief dries have gone together well so far but loader still needs lowering slightly. post-27850-0-63569200-1548230971_thumb.jpgpost-27850-0-05788000-1548231017_thumb.jpgpost-27850-0-58924300-1548231092_thumb.jpg

Edited by bazzer42
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thrifty is one way of putting it but I do like modelling on the cheap. Take one old Pikestuff engine shed from an unused layout built for my son nearly 20 years ago. A bit of plasticard and a lick of paint and we have another low relief building. I have spent some cash on some Auhagen industrial vents so there was a small cost.

20190208_154136.jpg

20190206_113532.jpg

Edited by bazzer42
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...