Modernising a Bachmann TPO POS

• RMweb Gold

Before I start putting knife to plastic, I thought I would see if anyone has already attempted this...

For my TPO Models so far I have been using DC Kits parts fitted to Bachmann Mk1 coaches, I am looking at making an NSA (T)

My plan is to take a Bachmann model in 1990s livery, fill in the windows, then cut out the replacement small windows (adding new frames drawn up in CAD and cut with the cutter

My logic is that one side is already complete, it’s probably going to cost 20 for a mk1 to hack, plus more for the new sides (so not a lot different in cost) and the complexity of dealing with the cut in to the roof is done for me.

Has anyone else has attempted this and has any advice?

I’d also be interested to hear what the t in the tops code signifies, assuming it is not as obvious as Toilet...

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer, the coach has the tops code NSA (T)

The T clearly signifies something specific to this coach (the other two NSA in the service do not have the T), I just don’t know what

I had thought it was to do with the radio roof pods, but I am sure I’ve seen one with that code that doesn’t have the roof pod

I've had a bash at doing some of the TPO vehicles on my Bank Quay thread using Southern Pride & Hatchette Mk1s as a starting point then using new window surrounds. May be some inspiration (or not).

Think the Southern Pride instructions mention the 'T', I'll try and remember to check when home, but I think you are correct.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a bash at doing some of the TPO vehicles on my Bank Quay thread using Southern Pride & Hatchette Mk1s as a starting point then using new window surrounds. May be some inspiration (or not).

Think the Southern Pride instructions mention the 'T', I'll try and remember to check when home, but I think you are correct.

Thanks, that will be most appreciated.

So far I have one DC kits / Bachmann Hybrid for an NTA, and I am just waiting on the missing door / side piece to do an NUA using the same method and will likely do at least one full sided NSA at some point

The more I look at photos of the Bachmann model the more I think it’s a goer for the recessed side option. Another option is to get DC kits parts and splice in the centre side section.

All of which is a lot easier than rolling the sides for the 1947 TPO I need to build....

Thanks, that will be most appreciated.

So far I have one DC kits / Bachmann Hybrid for an NTA, and I am just waiting on the missing door / side piece to do an NUA using the same method and will likely do at least one full sided NSA at some point

The more I look at photos of the Bachmann model the more I think it’s a goer for the recessed side option. Another option is to get DC kits parts and splice in the centre side section.

All of which is a lot easier than rolling the sides for the 1947 TPO I need to build....

Hi There,

I've had a look at both Mark 1 Coaches by Keith Parkin and Br Mk1 & Mk2 Coaching Stock by Hugh Longworth and from what I have read, Parkin's book does not include or indeed explain the (T) within the NSA codes for the POS types although the diagram drawings for all the POS types in Longworth's book do all shew toilets.

I also noticed that all of diagram drawings for the POT type stowage vans shew toilets with the exception of BPOT type NU numbers, 80450-80455.

Granted the small diagram drawings are more of a guide to the types described and not necessarily scale drawings.

Gibbo.

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Just found this thread as I am too trying to find out what the (T) stands for on some of the Bachmann NSV TPO Sorting Vans? There wasn't a definitive answer above? Could these coaches run with airbraked stock? Thank you.

image.png.6aa7702f2ead85bffdae259b8fc2043f.png

Hi William,

(T) is for toilet.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1