Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

There was reference to additional versions to cover later (or earlier?) liveries being designed into the tooling.  I think this might have generated a comment about it causing the tooling to take longer.

They ARE to be made on the expensive new Injection Moulding machine at Chirk.  It might have been these that were going to "start production as soon as the tools have been delivered from China", though it might have been one of the other new models in O gauge.

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The latest issue of the Dapol Collectors Club magazine has more information. The first to be available (no date given) will be varnished mahogany livery with others to follow. I wonder if they are going to copy Hattons lead with their 'Generic' 4mm coaches that will appear in a number of different colours?

A set of three coaches (2 brake and 1 all 3rd) will be available to Collectors Club members for £230.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

I wonder what is the chance of them being done in 4mm now?

Martin

High apparently which I think is possibly why hattons have brought forward their LBSC Genisis coaches to the first batch after initially announcing them for batch 2. It makes a lot of sense with the research for these coaches to redraw them for 4mm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

High apparently which I think is possibly why hattons have brought forward their LBSC Genisis coaches to the first batch after initially announcing them for batch 2. It makes a lot of sense with the research for these coaches to redraw them for 4mm.

If they are going to produce them in 4mm scale it will be interesting to see if there is still a market for them after the demand has been hit by a fictional model in LBSCR livery.

Craig W

Can't speak for others, but I will be keeping an eye open for Dapol Stroudley 4-wheeled coaches in OO.  If I remember correctly, Hattons will be doing their coaches in the umber LBSCR livery rather than Mahogany (which is what I would tend to expect with locomotives in Stroudley Improved Engine Green).  I have pre-ordered some of Hatton's coaches in SECR livery for my SECR liveried Terrier to pull.  At the moment, I use mahogany painted resin kits for my IEG liveried Terriers, but I imagine that Dapol can make better looking coaches than I can.  Whatever happens, I want my LBSCR coaches to look a bit different from the SECR ones.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The two factual updates we have are drawings expected end of q1 2020. (i.e about now) and these are to be built in the UK, commencing shortly after that. 

Given the current emergency I would imagine the Chirk factory is shut down for the safety of the workforce?

I'd imagine significant delay....

Edited by colin penfold
Addendum
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I found a web page (I thought it was on the Rails of Sheffield's site) with some pre-production photos of these coaches, but I cannot for the life of me find it again.  Does anyone know if it is still up on the Internet, and if so, what the URL is please?

Have you tried searching your browsing history?

2 hours ago, Piskey said:

A few weeks ago I found a web page (I thought it was on the Rails of Sheffield's site) with some pre-production photos of these coaches, but I cannot for the life of me find it again.  Does anyone know if it is still up on the Internet, and if so, what the URL is please?

I have indeed, and there are hundreds of entries where I've been unsuccessfully searching for the page.  When I have a bit more time I suppose I'll have to go through them all again though it seems that if it were in fact on the Rails site that the page has been taken down.  If it was another site then I've no idea where to start!  :-(

Well, I've been through everything and can't find where I saw the coaches, which as I recall was just a page of their own, though I wouldn't put any money on it!  I'll try asking Rails.

I contacted Rails though that was a dead end.  Had a pretty quick response of:  "I don't think we did, if we had these listed they would still be
there."

Strange.  I'm 99% sure it was a Rails page, and there's no sign of the page on any other site, so if it were there it obviously isn't any more.  Can't remember how long ago I saw it, late April/early May perhaps?  Oh well, no doubt there'll be something to look at closer to a production date.  They did look good.

5 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

I've been eager to go back to England some time to have another pint of Spitfire and Flying Scotsman. I hear that Jaipur is a popular one too.

Tesco sell Spitfire 1.25 a bottle 

Edited by meatloaf

• 2 months later...

Interesting to see that they're offering Mainline and Suburban versions. However they appear to have made a bit of a slip-up. 

While the Suburban Stroudleys came in Brake Third (D34), Third (D33), Second (D32), 1st/2nd Composite (D31) and First (D30), the Mainline range didn't feature a First class with four wheels - the full Firsts were six-wheelers (D37) with four compartments. I note the running number given for the 4-wheel First is given as 572, which should be a 6-wheel D37.

There were also other differences - the Suburban Second-class carriages had 5 compartments, while the Mainline ones had 4. although the tooling for the 4-wheel Thirds (both types) should do for the Suburban Seconds, while the Suburban First should do for the Mainline Second.

Here's hoping that if they are doing the D31/D41 composites they don't fall into the trap of using the First bodyshell with its 4 equally-sized compartments... I know I nearly made that mistake!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3