Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Can anyone say whether it will be reasonably possible, without causing damage, to dismantle the running-gear of these to fit alternative wheelsets?

My own taste is for G0G 'coarse', but I can imagine S7 people asking the same question.

Have you tried fine scale wheels through your Maldon points? Changing the wheels is unlikely to be successful because of lack of room to accommodate the wider tread.

56 minutes ago, goldfish said:

Have you tried fine scale wheels through your Maldon

Yes, and they do precisely what you’d expect with a 29mm b-t-b on facing points set for 27.5mm b-t-b, they hit the crossing noses, not every time, but frequently enough to cause trouble.

Looking at the photos above, I think there almost certainly is clearance for the width of G0G coarse wheels, although one would have to check of course, and journal- length comes into play too.

It would be major leap for me to bring modern plastic onto the layout, but It’s worth finding these things out.

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, and they do precisely what you’d expect with a 29mm b-t-b on facing points set for 27.5mm b-t-b, they hit the crossing noses, not every time, but frequently enough to cause trouble.

Looking at the photos above, I think there almost certainly is clearance for the width of G0G coarse wheels, although one would have to check of course, and journal- length comes into play too.

It would be major leap for me to bring modern plastic onto the layout, but It’s worth finding these things out.

I rather thought that was the case with the points. The coaches have a die cast chassis which appears to held in place by 4 screws. One possibility that occurred to me was to butcher the chassis and fit ETS axles boxes and wheels, but that does seem a little drastic.

On 11/09/2020 at 21:34, Nearholmer said:

Can anyone say whether it will be reasonably possible, without causing damage, to dismantle the running-gear of these to fit alternative wheelsets?

My own taste is for G0G 'coarse', but I can imagine S7 people asking the same question.

Doing a little research, it appears that the Scale 7 Group sell "Dapol replacement wagon axles from Slater's" for converting to broad gauge so it must be possible to replace at least some wheel sets.

https://www.scaleseven.org.uk/index.php?id=147

• Thanks 1

On 11/09/2020 at 21:34, Nearholmer said:

I asked Dapol through their contact page if it was possible to fit Slaters coarse scale wheels. The reply: "Sorry no, our wheel sets have pin points at a shorter distance."

It is not all bad news however: "coaches with buffers use standard screw link sprung couplings." So it is an easy matter to fit drop link couplings.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Okay, not knowing much about coaching stock of this age. Back in the early days, I have a few of the Improved engine green liveried Terriers, so assuming the mahogany versions is correct, was there a typical formation, or were the sets made up of various coaches sandwiched between two brakes?

• RMweb Premium

@47606odin, with any luck the Brighton Boys will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse. I had though that they were made up into ten or eleven coach sets for suburban services - which would be interesting news for your wallet, the pulling power of your Terrier, and the size of your railway room - but here's a photo of a three coach train, along with more info and details of a 6-coach train: https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/lbscr-carriages/.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

@47606odin, with any luck the Brighton Boys will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse. I had though that they were made up into ten or eleven coach sets for suburban services - which would be interesting news for your wallet, the pulling power of your Terrier, and the size of your railway room - but here's a photo of a three coach train, along with more info and details of a 6-coach train: https://basilicafields.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/lbscr-carriages/.

that was a useful picture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furness Wagon said:

hope these help

Marc

robertsbridge.jpg

Marc 

Sorry to be awkward, but Robertsbridge was a South Eastern Railway station with the Rother Valley/Kent and East Sussex on the bay platform to the left!

The Stroudley 4 wheelers came in various types. Initially, the main line vehicles had long buffers and were matched with 6 wheel firsts. Suburban vehicles were close coupled and initially had a single centre buffer. Thirds had "half light" windows, rather than quarter lights. Buffers were later changed to short side buffers, which may, or may not, have had something to do with the fitting of Westinghouse brakes. Sets were created appropriate to the service. The first South London sets were 8 coach, which in 4mm scale with a Terrier comes out at a fraction over 3'. Other sets were longer. As previous photos illustrate, local services might be 3 coaches. There was some discussion in an earlier edition of LB&SCR Modellers' Digest. 

P1010174.JPG.919d509ae9feeb3b74ef1adf55d6aba2.JPG

For chapter and verse, refer to LB&SCR Carriages Vol 1.    

I hope this helps. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

One of the RVR / K&ESR pair, presumably. 

Yes, I would agree that is either 'Bodiam' or 'Robertsbridge'. The coaches with it in the bay platform appear to be the KESR Pickering coaches, though I'm not sure though if these are the early 4-wheel coaches after they'd been rebuilt as bogie coaches, or the later versions which were similar in design. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 17:04, NeilHB said:

Yes, I would agree that is either 'Bodiam' or 'Robertsbridge'. The coaches with it in the bay platform appear to be the KESR Pickering coaches, though I'm not sure though if these are the early 4-wheel coaches after they'd been rebuilt as bogie coaches, or the later versions which were similar in design. 

On 26/01/2021 at 18:20, Nearholmer said:

The coach livery is interesting, LSWR/L&Y-ish. Were RVR/KESR coaches really painted like that, or is it just what the colourist had on their palette from last time?

The photo is quite an early one and given the lack of coal rails or steam pipes the loco is almost certainly No.5 Rolvenden, the coaches are either the re-builds of the earlier four wheel Hurst Nelson coaches, or the three coach set purchased new from Pickerings. And yes they really were painted cream and chocolate brown.

image.png.c02121436a53e27fe7b3f51db8ed5063.png  image.png.55f79fbef061a31a2348c41b92087130.png

Edited by Guest

Looking more carefully at the photograph taken at Robertsbridge, I think I can safely assure that the three coaches are the set delivered new from Pickerings in 1905. The Hurst Nelson conversions had only one or two top lights to the windows, wheras the new coaches had four or five. The two photos in my earlier post illustrate the difference quite well, the rake of three are the new coaches, whilst the single coach is one of the conversions.The step boards are also different, but that cannot be determined from the Robertsbridge photo.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...