Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

10 hours ago, IWCR said:

Disappearing fast by grouping, the last 4 wheelers were withdrawn around 1924 and the 6 wheelers 1928.

A few lingered on in use on the Isle of Wight until 1931 and in the Lancing Bell Works train until 1930.

Pete

Thanks Pete, that's great. They will be perfect for those modelling light railways after the 1920s too. 

• Agree 1

They would need tooling that can deal with changes.  By the time they got to the Isle of Wight the carriages had grown truss-rodding and batteries for electric lighting.  Also, I think the guards' duckets looked different.  The varieties of coach used most may have altered as well; I have a feeling that the sets on the IOW consisted of 2 brake thirds (at the ends), a composite and an all third.  It looks to me as if the LB&SCR photos of the Hayling Branch that I have seen included full brakes.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

There were 2 Stroudley sets on the Island and 3 Billington sets, each had two Brake Thirds, a Full Third and a Composite

The Stroudley sets used a 4 Comp full Second trimmed as a Composite (equal comp spacing).

The Billington sets used a 4 Comp full First trimmed as a Composite (also equal comp spacing) and a 5 Comp full Second trimmed as a Third.

The Guards Duckets were altered on the mainland from 1911onwards being reduced in width, also reducing the width of the outer windows, this was to increase route availability however many were withdrawn prior to being altered. All IOW examples had the standard post 1911 width.

All withdrawn in 1931 being the last LBSC 4 wheelers in traffic, one brake Third was retained for a further year for workmens use during the rebuilding of Medina Wharf.

In addition an LBSC Billington Saloon was in use on the Island, originally a  6 wheeler this ran as a 4 wheeler and was withdrawn in 1934. A further oddity was a Stroudley Horse Box, this arrived in 1925 and was only one of its type  to carry Southern Livery,  this lasted until 1954 by which time it had made it into BR red.

Pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

There's a photo of a Stroudley brake 3rd in departmental use at East Croydon in 1934. Details are in SR Service Stock by Kidner and published by Oakwood Press (I think). Were any others in use in the 1930s or even later?

Richard B

1081S Stroudley bk 3rd, Eng Sig E Croydon 1934.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was a 1-page information sheet at the GOG Doncaster event today. They expect to 'take ownership of the tooling' at Chirk end Q1 2020 and start production soon afterwards. Prototypes will be: Brake 3rd; Composite; All 2nd; All 1st; All 3rd. First livery will be gas-lit varnished mahogany [ie original] with unspecified later livery and electric lit and Westinghouse braked versions produced. The drawing shows a 182mm long model with 105mm wheelbase and will be close coupled as only the Brake vehicles had long buffers on the outer ends. 

image.jpeg.5f613b81f72bcf1a61786b43eb468d19.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

14 hours ago, Dava said:

There was a 1-page information sheet at the GOG Doncaster event today. They expect to 'take ownership of the tooling' at Chirk end Q1 2020 and start production soon afterwards. Prototypes will be: Brake 3rd; Composite; All 2nd; All 1st; All 3rd. First livery will be gas-lit varnished mahogany [ie original] with unspecified later livery and electric lit and Westinghouse braked versions produced. The drawing shows a 182mm long model with 105mm wheelbase and will be close coupled as only the Brake vehicles had long buffers on the outer ends.

From the small print at the bottom of the information sheet - "Decorated samples under review - expected in shops Q3 2019"

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I would trust the "horses mouth" information from Dava over printed material. The latter was probably the best estimate when it was ordered for printing. Hard copy material goes out of date quickly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think they need to revise the info as the drawing shows an OIL lit carriage rather than GAS lit. Oil was originally used. That would then make sense for the rest when referring to gas and electrical later.. 

Looking good.

It happened just as I had etched a load in 7mm with sprung under frames which wasn't so good ! I have at least etched some other types as well so shall still be able to offer those through EBModels.

It's not just the big boys that get caught out with duplication!

Cheers, Ian MacCormac in Blackpool 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lamps and their positions seem to vary, and oil and gas lamps not always in same position.According to drawings there were fewer oil lamps fitted.

Just wondering if the short buffers were retained in later years. I suppose for light railway use(eg Colonel Stephens) then buffers could have been changed.

On 03/06/2019 at 14:17, GNR Dave said:

If they can get these out for under £100 per coach and the wood effect is good, I'll have one of each .

It will be interesting to see where Dapol pitch this with regard to pricing. RTR coaches in 0 are often as dear as some locomotives. I know these are 4-wheelers but I would be suprised if they come out at less than £100, just based on the price of the Dapol guard's vans. Having said that, the impending Sentinel loco is remarkably cheap, so I would be happy to eat my words!

• RMweb Premium

You are likely to find some attractively priced NQPs at shows a few months after introduction. They will likely become a very familiar model in time, rather like the Terrier and the Triang GWR clerestory coach.

15 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Given that the list price of the auto coach is £200 and the brake vans are £80 I think anything sub £100 is way too optimistic. Slaters charge over £75 for a plastic kit of a 4 wheel coach.

I estimate a 3D printed one would work out at about £70, just needing wheelsand finishing off

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/06/2019 at 02:38, Dava said:

image.jpeg.5f613b81f72bcf1a61786b43eb468d19.jpeg

I'm keen for these coaches. I can see these being very popular among those who like to model light railways a la Colonel Stephens.

• Agree 1

Looking through the Kestrel published book, there are a lot of variations for theStroudley coaches. It looks like Dapol are starting in the middle, with gas lit ones, and by the numbering(D30-34) are  doing the suburban ones with short buffers(apart from brake ends). Also does this mean they are doing both widths of duckets.

There are also 2 other brake coaches under mainline group(both D40s), one with one ist class and one with two first class compartments. The only 4 wheel full brakes(D47) were shorter, but there was a 6 wheel(D46) full brake which was 26ft long. Although duckets were reduced in widthon some, there are photos of brakes  with plain sided duckets, suggesting they are stilll original,as ones reduced in width(as evidenced by one preserved on IOW) has panelling added to ducket.

Plenty of potential for light railway modelling, although I don't think many of these actually got sold off to light railways.

• 1 month later...

Not to mention chicken sheds, cottage extensions and out-houses  :jester:

For me, the D30-34 were the first mass produced standardized coaching stock the LBSCR produced. They're perfect for the Terrier and can be modified either by the purchaser or Dapol themselves to reflect suburban or mainline use (buffer length) or the various lighting permutations (oil, gas or electric)

Can't wait !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...