Heljan Announce O Gauge Class 117

MGR Hooper!

Very nice indeed; I'm delighted that Heljan are pressing on with this model in the face of the Dapol 121/122.  

What, I wonder, is that "button" covering the coupling hook?

Hi uk_pm,

As there is a similar button on the inner end, perhaps it is a magnet for easier coupling, but with the screw coupling if you want it.

regards

Mike

Why will Dapol's Class 121/122 be of any issue to Heljan's Class 117?

Because once you've got the chassis for one, the other is just a new body tool? If one company does both, there are economies to be had. And wasn't Heljan intending doing a single unit? I'm guessing that's why the chassis design for the 128 has a full underfloor mechanism - as a design basis for vehicles that need an interior. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Splits the market. A lot will buy the cheaper and smaller option and that adds the risk that Heljan won’t sell enough 117s to cover costs. If they didn’t already have the chassis, I don’t think this would have gone ahead, personally.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

The comment was in response to speculation (on this site and elsewhere), that Dapol's class 121/122 might affect the economics of Heljan's 117 (which was announced as part of a batch of DMUs which included the 121).  In fact, anyone who has the Heljan 128 will know that much of the donkey work for the 117/121 was done in preparation for the 128.  

• 3 weeks later...

I read today in Rail Express that Heljan have done CADs not only the 117, but also the 121,122 and the class 149/150 trailer cars. That was a surprise! I thought the 121 had been dropped after Dapol’s imminent model (interestingly, the 121 page has been taken off Tower Models Heljan section- so I thought it being dropped was the likely explanation). These CADs look great by the way and do capture the character of the real thing, in my humble opinion. I wonder if developing the 117 into the similar 116 might be a better commercial venture for Heljan, rather than releasing 121’s and 122’s head to head with Dapol?

Having done CAD's doesn't mean much, and Heljan may have shelved the 121/122 based on what Dapol have done.

I would be surprised if they went ahead as O is still a small market and unless Heljan pull out a surprise then Dapol will have taken most of the available money for a bubble car.

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

This video at 10min 22 ish seems to show some samples at the new Kernow shop

Thanks so much for this update - great news to see Heljan moving ahead with the class 117 and 121 DMU’s!

• 2 years later...

I don't think Heljan has anything to worry about the Dapol rendition, at least certainly the Class 122 DMU. Sadly along with many other buyers I have had to return three units to suppliers for a refund after experiencing what appears to be on the face of it, a manufacturing defect, that is causing the two bogie motors to fight each other when power is applied to the unit resulting in a grinding and shuddering and sudden stopping during running sessions. In saying that the lighting albiet a complex setup is very good.

I am now eagerly awaiting the release of the Heljan versions, albeit slightly more expensive, but I am informed by those in the know that the quality of the motors being used are of a very high quality, so I do not mind spending a little more on reliability.

I look forward to hearing from others who have purchased the Dapol Class 122 and whether they have experienced similar problems. Apparently Dapol are frantically making changes to the Class 121 motors, although that information has come from a third-party supplier source.

Edited by Compbck

• 1 month later...

I had a numerous e mail exchange with Heljan this morning and it looks like the 117 could be very decoder hungry. 

From what Kim has said there are no ‘power couplers’ between cars so each car will need a decoder in it to operate things under DCC. 

Two motors, only talked about the three car version, with a motor in two of the three cars. 

21pin DCC decoders required. 

So for me it’s 2x ESU 21pin V5 Loksound plus ESU 21pin V5 FX decoders. 

• 3 weeks later...

I intend asking Heljan questions about the 117 DCC set up at the Britain's Biggest Model Railway show at the  Bath & the West Country  Showground, Shepton Mallet on 8th April. 

Although the answers I received came directly from Heljan I am not convinced they are right. 

Two or even three sound decoders needed, that’s a lot of extra dish on top of the cost of the model. 

Will report back. 

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Even if Heljan don't come up with a solution surely we can wire them together to use one decoder?

Yes, I have some power couplers but not enough ‘channels’ in them to allow everything that is needed to meet my requirements. 

Two for track power, two for motor control, minimum two for speakers in each car, then there are lights……………………:scratchhead:

• 1 year later...

I spoke to the Heljan guys at the Guild show at Stafford and they want to release the 117, 121 & 122 almost at the same time and hope to have the 117 decorated samples in November. 

I mentioned that the 117 deco samples seems to be the default reason for delay to the point where you think it’s cancelled. The replay was a 100% no. Far to expensive to cancel once tooling has been done. So it seems it’s still on. 

Edited by two tone green
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...